Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self Driving Price - $4K upgrade no longer honored?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't seen a definite clear cut conclusion on this thread, so here is my experience report with positive outcome:

I just tried to get this upgrade to fully self driving done at the original $4000.
After a bit of a run around from email support: "Call service center" to service center: "Bring in the car" to driving to Dublin Service Center, CA I got a bucket of cold water: "The price is the price" from the local service center manager (Dublin, CA).
Calling support ended up being inconclusive since he basically offered to route me back to the same service center and placed teh decision squarely into their realm (which makes no sense).
So I used the "escalation" option in the email support.
Response within 90min!
First by phone and then in writing:

"Just to confirm the full self driving price will be updated in your Tesla account in a few weeks. You will be grandfathered in at the $4,000 pricing due to taking delivery before 06/25/18. We thank you for all your patience and support!

Kind Regards,
Calena Nguyen | Tesla Executive Care"

On the call advised me that the service center manager was in error and has been informed of that.
But she also suggested to wait for the website fix rather than going through the hassle of special casing it.
On my end all I needed was assurance I'm locked in which is now in writing.
By phone she was clear that this grandfathering will be applied generally.
It's not that I get it because I was a squeaky wheel situation.

I wonder how much room tesla has to increase prices on FSD and EAP. I suspect once the $7,500 tax credit runs out there won’t be much. I already see a surprising amount of people who did not even purchase EAP. We may be close to the point where any additional prices increase yield lower revenues.

Believe that Tesla announced the upgraded pricing when it was a leap of faith. Once the features are enacted, and you get to see exactly what the benefits are, the prices probably will go up.

Tesla states that pricing is accurate at the time of publication, but retain the option to adjust them up or down as time goes by.

Same deal with buying a house. If you do a pre=purchase before the house is finished you usually (but not always) get a better price. Once the home is ready to move into, the price usually goes up.
That’s what I was told. 5k now but after release most likely higher.

• Informative
Reactions: Galve2000
I haven't seen a definite clear cut conclusion on this thread, so here is my experience report with positive outcome:

I just tried to get this upgrade to fully self driving done at the original $4000.
After a bit of a run around from email support: "Call service center" to service center: "Bring in the car" to driving to Dublin Service Center, CA I got a bucket of cold water: "The price is the price" from the local service center manager (Dublin, CA).
Calling support ended up being inconclusive since he basically offered to route me back to the same service center and placed teh decision squarely into their realm (which makes no sense).
So I used the "escalation" option in the email support.
Response within 90min!
First by phone and then in writing:

"Just to confirm the full self driving price will be updated in your Tesla account in a few weeks. You will be grandfathered in at the $4,000 pricing due to taking delivery before 06/25/18. We thank you for all your patience and support!

Kind Regards,
Calena Nguyen | Tesla Executive Care"

On the call advised me that the service center manager was in error and has been informed of that.
But she also suggested to wait for the website fix rather than going through the hassle of special casing it.
On my end all I needed was assurance I'm locked in which is now in writing.
By phone she was clear that this grandfathering will be applied generally.
It's not that I get it because I was a squeaky wheel situation.

How did you word your request to get them to update your account? I would like that.

Nope. I sent a secure message from my account and it just went ignored. I didn’t try again since I don’t see FSD anytime soon. So I prob won’t even get it for $4k
When they make the hardware upgrade available, I will probably purchase the FSD option. And yes, I am fully expecting Tesla to honor the $4K price. I purchased my Model 3 with the option of (a) buying FSD for $3k at delivery, or (b) buying FSD after delivery for $4k. I intend to exercise option (b). I did not exercise option (a) because I preferred option (b). It does currently show in my account as $5K and that is a mistake that I expect will be corrected.

I may have missed this somewhere but what do forum members think the cost of an upgraded computer would be if one paid for it when available rather than getting it free with the FSD package.

Looks like it is the same price as the FSD after delivery package.

20181016_100535.jpg

Not sure why so many are buying into this BS, I am coming up on my 2 year anniversary of purchasing my Model S and my FSD Purchase. I wonder at what point Tesla will have to start offering refunds and paying people interest on our money. How many people leased for 30 or 36 months and will never see FSD?

Reactions: xav-
Whew....I just made it under the 6/25 deadline. My feeling is that anyone that is holding their breath for FSD is going pass out before they get it. Even if Tesla magically got the system fully operational tomorrow it going to take literally years to get the all the regulations and legal issues ironed out for FSD.

Whew....I just made it under the 6/25 deadline. My feeling is that anyone that is holding their breath for FSD is going pass out before they get it. Even if Tesla magically got the system fully operational tomorrow it going to take literally years to get the all the regulations and legal issues ironed out for FSD.

I keep seeing folks say this... but FSD cars are already legal lots of places in the US.

There's going to be a lot of interesting litigation on the liability front eventually.... but if someone was selling a fully operational FSD car today you wouldn't necessarily have to wait on any legal/regulatory stuff to use it.

Reactions: kavyboy
5k for the computer plus 5k to activate FSD?

No. 5K ALL IN. Computer doesn't do anything unless you have FSD since old computer is sufficient for autopilot.

I think something very lost here is a bonafide Level 5 FSD solution is worth well more than $5,000. Try $50,000. Or if your time is ultra valuable, $500,000.

$3000,$4000,$5000 price points is a speculative investment that will net you some degree of incremental features.

It's not ALL OR NOTHING for FSD functionality.

Solid Level 3 is well worth $5,000 to me. No nag and warning to take over only in the most difficult of scenarios.