Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Full self driving" Question....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Toying with purchasing the 7K add-on. Here is my question(s).

When you purchase this option, do they put any different hardware into the car? Or is it simply turning on a software option?

Also, is it hard to buy after the fact? Right now I have a Model Y on order and don't want to change anything because I don't want to mess with our place in line.

Thoughts on this?

I am not aware of any hardware changes for FSD on the Model 3, so I would assume the same for the Model Y. Buying FSD after your car purchase may be at a higher price. One possibility (but I don’t know that this will work) is to ask to add FSD before your purchase but after you get assigned the VIN and a delivery date. They may be able to add it and adjust the purchase price on the draft purchase agreement.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Depends. Some say cars without FSD are shipping with the HW2.5 computer, rather than the HW3.0 box shipping with FSD cars. Tesla was supposed to ship all cars from last April with HW3.0, but confirmed cases of cars built in September 2019 came with HW2.5.

Assuming your car comes with HW3.0 (which it should. Cars in China are shipping with HW2.5 now because of a shortage.. and a small number of 3s have been reported to also come with 2.5 as recently as August IIRC).

Adding FSD Can be done from the app or the website. I believe Tesla says "May take 24 hours" or something similar, but the reports I've read are that it happens very quickly..

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve
Another question - Does purchasing FSD now include hardware updates in the future as functionality improves, or will those be at a surcharge anyway?
They expect their hardware 3 to provide FSD so no other hardware is expected as a free update. Not sure they would even offer hardware updates if the functionality is enough to get FSD working.

Considering that Tesla is now retrofitting older vehicles with hardware 3, it gives me a lot more confidence that the hardware is enough. They would have delayed this upgrade process if thought there was a risk they would have to do a second upgrade later.

The real uncertainty is the timeline for the software. I plan on getting the FSD package, but intend on keeping my Y for at least 10 years so i know I will get value out of it.

Last edited:
They expect their hardware 3 to provide FSD so no other hardware is expected as a free update. Not sure they would even offer hardware updates if the functionality is enough to get FSD working.

Considering that Tesla is now retrofitting older vehicles with hardware 3, it gives me a lot more confidence that the hardware is enough. They would have delayed this upgrade process if thought there was a risk they would have to do a second upgrade later.

The real uncertainty is the timeline for the software. I plan on getting the FSD package, but intend on keeping my Y for at least 10 years so i know I will get value out of it.
Thanks.

Toying with purchasing the 7K add-on. Here is my question(s).

When you purchase this option, do they put any different hardware into the car? Or is it simply turning on a software option?

Also, is it hard to buy after the fact? Right now I have a Model Y on order and don't want to change anything because I don't want to mess with our place in line
Thoughts on this?

Regardless of HW3 being purchased, i believe all Tesla's produced come with HW . FSD will need to be purchased in order to take advantage of the HW3 capabilities.

No. If you buy after the fact, you can purchase either through the app or in you're account online. The only difference between now and later is the price. If you buy later, the price will be closer to 10K.

Regardless of HW3 being purchased, i believe all Tesla's produced come with HW . FSD will need to be purchased in order to take advantage of the HW3 capabilities.

No. If you buy after the fact, you can purchase either through the app or in you're account online. The only difference between now and later is the price. If you buy later, the price will be closer to 10K.

Just curious where you got the 10K number from? So if I take delivery this summer and want to get FSD at the end of the year, you think the price will rise to 10k from 7k?

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Just curious where you got the 10K number from? So if I take delivery this summer and want to get FSD at the end of the year, you think the price will rise to 10k from 7k?
Nobody would be able to predict future FSD price, but Elon has talked about raising it further as they make progress on FSD . Is that $10k in 2020? who knows. Conceivably they could even lower the price if a recession happened.

The long term possibility if Tesla does get FSD with robotaxis working, these vehicles become desirable cash cows. In theory the price of the car and FSD could go up due to limited production. Very difficult to predict since there will be competitors, etc. Perhaps they don't raise the price and instead the depreciation curve is just way better than other cars.

Last edited:

As mentioned below, the price of FSD will continue to rise until it has reached what Tesla believes is the "actual price". My $10K prediction comes as Elon has stated that Tesla is preparing for more FSD features this year. If you were to take delivery in the summer the price could either be the same as it is now or slightly higher.

I have a related question. I know it may vary by state... If I pay $7000 for FSD when buying the car, I pay sales tax on it. If I order it via the app later that day for the same $7000, do I pay sales tax? In MD, it would be a $420 difference.

Specifically, for those who have paid for software upgrade via the app, were you taxed?