Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self Driving Removed - Not Even “Off Menu”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is still there.

A9889ED2-2106-4FD3-A460-F783CE0F17F0.png

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I’d pull the trigger unless you don’t care for FSD for 4000 on your cars.

It takes some work but Tesla says they will honor the post purchase price you were eligible for which is 4K in my case.

Tesla messing around the configurators is rarely a good sign for existing owners.

Reactions: 1375mlm
it is hard to believe that any tesla vehicle on the road currently could ever be fsd with just software upgrades

Tesla isn't even assuming that.

It's well known that FSD owners would get the HW3 computer as a free upgrade.

So there is at least SOME value in purchasing FSD. I could understand paying $3K for it like I did, but I wouldn't pay $5K. Instead I'd wait to see what Tesla achieved with it before paying for it. Not to mention the whole regulatory side of things.

I mostly paid for it because I felt like EAP with it would be significantly better than EAP without HW3. I don't think the FSD that's promised will ever be FSD in reality, but instead it will be a fairly limited L3 system.

I would be surprised if they even managed that with the current sensor setup. That's mostly why I would advise people not to overpay for FSD.

We purchased FSD with our 2017 S 100D and 2018 X 100D, not because we expect the cars to be full self driving any time soon, but because Tesla will likely start expanding the areas under which NOAP (Navigate On AutoPilot) will operate beyond limited access highways, which is probably all EAP only vehicles will ever see.

Musk keeps claiming we'll start seeing FSD-only features soon - even if it isn't until sometime next year, we'll still be satisfied with our FSD purchase, especially if we get the HW3 processor upgrades for free.

Tesla isn't even assuming that.

It's well known that FSD owners would get the HW3 computer as a free upgrade.

So there is at least SOME value in purchasing FSD. I could understand paying $3K for it like I did, but I wouldn't pay $5K. Instead I'd wait to see what Tesla achieved with it before paying for it. Not to mention the whole regulatory side of things.

I mostly paid for it because I felt like EAP with it would be significantly better than EAP without HW3. I don't think the FSD that's promised will ever be FSD in reality, but instead it will be a fairly limited L3 system.

I would be surprised if they even managed that with the current sensor setup. That's mostly why I would advise people not to overpay for FSD.
Wasn't this sold as having all the necessary hardware already installed?
Sounds like that changed.
Are they adding LIDAR?

Wasn't this sold as having all the necessary hardware already installed?
Sounds like that changed.
Are they adding LIDAR?
No LIDAR, no new sensors. HW3 is simply a new computer. HW2.5 computer can process 200 frames per second total for all 8 cameras, radar, and ultrasonics. HW3 ups that to 2000 frames per second so it can provide redundancy processing as well (needed for neural net), as well as extraneous functionality like 360 views and multi-cam recording etc. All speculation at this point what it can really do, but we know that it's only a computer upgrade.

I just did a pretty long road trip in my 3 and based on my experience with NoA, it’s hard for me to believe they are close to getting FSD working. That is unless the new computer makes a HUGE difference. I will say this, if HW3 allows them to get rid of the nags, it’s worth $5k right there, even if FSD never works.

Reactions: KyleDay
I just did a pretty long road trip in my 3 and based on my experience with NoA, it’s hard for me to believe they are close to getting FSD working. That is unless the new computer makes a HUGE difference. I will say this, if HW3 allows them to get rid of the nags, it’s worth $5k right there, even if FSD never works.

Having an order of magnitude more performance will make a big difference in the car’s ability to handle tuns at useful speeds by reducing latency.