Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self Driving: To Get It or Not to Get It?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model 3 on the way, likely coming within the next two weeks. We have a gas SUV which my wife drives and which we use for family trips, so this is just "my car" for getting around town and commuting to work (short drive, only about 15-30 mins depending on traffic). For that reason, I decided to go with an SR+ and keep it cheap by not upgrading the wheels or going with FSD. My other reason was that I'll likely want to swap it for an X or a Y in a couple years when my second daughter is in school and we possibly have another kid so I'll presumably need something bigger.

Question is: was leaving out FSD the right call? My logic was that this car is a relatively short-term hold, FSD still doesn't do very much and might still not do much by the time I'm ready to trade-up, and I probably won't have much use for the limited current features of FSD in the meantime. The logic was why spend the extra money. On the other hand, I'm now being persuaded that maybe FSD is in fact the right call given recent announcements of a gamechanging software update later this year and given the argument that FSD will improve resale value and may therefore be the smart thing to do for a short-term hold.

The reality is that it's now or never for FSD. Once I take delivery, I can't possibly see myself dropping the cash to upgrade given other uses that money can be put to. However, if I upgrade before delivery and roll it into my loan, it simply increases my monthly payment from $600 to $700 so it isn't as painful.

Thoughts? Advice?

I completely disagree with the first comment. If you can swing the SR+, which it sounds like range is a non-issue for you, pocket the $8K. I would hold off on FSD at least through the end of the year. Elon has said a subscription model is coming. Even If it cost a premium, not being tethered to the car is worth the extra monthly cost IMO.

Range is king is true, if you need it and in a perfect world. If you never are going more than 100 miles round trip, why pay a premium for it? I would block out the noise of people telling you about the 1 time in 3 years where you will need the range. Everyone's situation is different, and do what makes the most sense for you. $8K isn't chump change.

If you can, drive a car with NOA on the freeways with someone who can help you get oriented, and chances are you'll want it. But it does take some adjustment, and people who haven't dedicated some time to it have no idea how to best use it. And they'll be complaining no matter what. You're right that financing it is the only way to buy any upgrade/option.

I use NOA and AP w/ lane-change all the time, I don't care about the timetable on greater autonomy as it's very useful as it is right now, and I wouldn't dream of buying a Tesla without the most complete automation. It's what Tesla is all about. As to "range is king", unless you're doing long trips in areas where there are no superchargers, for you the extra range probably isn't worth the $9K US to buy into the dual motor etc package. But if you are mainly concerned about resale, then you probably want both FSD and max range.

Lots of good comments here. I understand the focus on range and when I eventually trade up to something bigger for family use in a few years, I'll definitely be ensuring I have an option with good range, but with the current role this car is to play, the extra range is simply unnecessary. I have a gas SUV that we'd have to take on road trips anyway because the M3 would be too small for the whole family plus our stuff. In my area (Ontario, Canada), there is a $5K incentive that is lost if you go LR instead of SR+ so it's a $15K difference. Just doesn't make sense.

As for FSD, it's a tough call. I think resale value would be the most persuasive argument in favor of my getting it. If the effect on resale value is BS and/or there is in fact a subscription model coming, then that negates the resale value issue and puts the nail in the FSD coffin. Still interested to hear more thoughts tho!

I love having FSD on my car. Auto lane changes on the highway, and the stop sign/traffic light detection are the killer features right now. And it gets better every day.

But they keep on talking about the ability to Rent FSD which would be awesome for people going on long car trips only occasionally.

And I know you want to roll it into your car note, but Tesla has had FSD upgrade sales in the past... I assume the may have another one prior to the public release of the next version of software.

Please do not forget that some folks need to go to
the airport, bad weather, cold, KFC runs, girl friends, boy friends,
next town, beer stores, camping, nude bathing and so on.
Every mile or KM is important when you are not wearing a proper
outfit.

I completely disagree with the first comment. If you can swing the SR+, which it sounds like range is a non-issue for you, pocket the $8K. I would hold off on FSD at least through the end of the year. Elon has said a subscription model is coming. Even If it cost a premium, not being tethered to the car is worth the extra monthly cost IMO.

Range is king is true, if you need it and in a perfect world. If you never are going more than 100 miles round trip, why pay a premium for it? I would block out the noise of people telling you about the 1 time in 3 years where you will need the range. Everyone's situation is different, and do what makes the most sense for you. $8K isn't chump change.
Remember the warranty kicks in at 70%. Could you drive around without issue if you lost 29% of your range? Should not happen but it could.

...so this is just "my car" for getting around town and commuting to work (short drive, only about 15-30 mins depending on traffic). For that reason, I decided to go with an SR+ and keep it cheap by not upgrading the wheels or going with FSD

... there is a $5K incentive that is lost if you go LR instead of SR+ so it's a $15K difference.

You are definitely getting the correct car in my mind, however...

Be aware your range will take a massive hit during the winter and there is 5%-10% battery degradation during the 1st year of ownership. So just make sure a 90% charge will get you to work, allow for Sentry Mode and back home during the winter.

FSD is attached to the car not a perpetual license that you can transfer to another Tesla later, if you get in a wreck and the car is totaled you are out $8,000 USD; unless you added it to your car insurance policy (will they actually reimburse you for software?)

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC