Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full self driving versus enhanced autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone upgraded from enhanced autopilot to full self driving? Is it worth it? Current running hw2.5 so with full self driving would get hw3 with the full self driving purchase.

It's your preference.

If you are a beta tester, it's great. If not, it might frustrate you. It currently stops at every traffic light with some exceptions. Most have not received the latest rewrites just yet.

Has anyone upgraded from enhanced autopilot to full self driving? Is it worth it? Current running hw2.5 so with full self driving would get hw3 with the full self driving purchase.

We are a 2 Tesla household. My wife has a Raven Performance Model X which has the FSD computer installed, but we only purchased the Enhanced Autopilot feature. I drive a 2017 Model S with FSD purchased since new (I had the new MCU2 installed at the Service Center the same day they upgraded the FSD computer on my car).

The reason why we didn't purchase FSD for our Model X was that in comparison to the features that my car currently (and currently is the keyword here) has, there's no much difference between EAP and FSD.

Now that my Model S has MCU2, the only actual difference is my car has traffic light and stop sign control, which I actually turned off as I didn't find it very useful. Both Teslas are running 2020.40.8 and they both get software updates at the same time (so that's not even a plus).
Eventually (soon on Elon's Time) my Model S is going to have Autosteer on city streets, which looking at the FSD beta videos, works quite well.

What I've been wondering is what's going to happen, hardware wise, with Tesla's that have Autopilot 2.0 or 2.5 computer installed and they purchase the monthly FSD rental subscription Elon mentioned?

I guess the service center is going to install the FSD computer on your car first and then you get your month's worth of FSD. Then, you maybe decide to cancel your subscription, but do you get to keep your brand new FSD computer now living on top of your glovebox?
Seems like a good way to update your Tesla's Autopilot computer without the $8,000 (soon $10,000) bucks burden. Even if you don't get the software needed for FSD, your vehicle would now be FSD hardware ready.

I upgraded from EAP to FSD. A week ago I would've told you only to get it if you believe that FSD will happen. But after seeing what FSD beta is capable of, I think it's well worth it. (You won't get FSD beta now but its implications for the future are amazing).

We are a 2 Tesla household. My wife has a Raven Performance Model X which has the FSD computer installed, but we only purchased the Enhanced Autopilot feature. I drive a 2017 Model S with FSD purchased since new (I had the new MCU2 installed at the Service Center the same day they upgraded the FSD computer on my car).

The reason why we didn't purchase FSD for our Model X was that in comparison to the features that my car currently (and currently is the keyword here) has, there's no much difference between EAP and FSD.

Now that my Model S has MCU2, the only actual difference is my car has traffic light and stop sign control, which I actually turned off as I didn't find it very useful. Both Teslas are running 2020.40.8 and they both get software updates at the same time (so that's not even a plus).
Eventually (soon on Elon's Time) my Model S is going to have Autosteer on city streets, which looking at the FSD beta videos, works quite well.

What I've been wondering is what's going to happen, hardware wise, with Tesla's that have Autopilot 2.0 or 2.5 computer installed and they purchase the monthly FSD rental subscription Elon mentioned?

I guess the service center is going to install the FSD computer on your car first and then you get your month's worth of FSD. Then, you maybe decide to cancel your subscription, but do you get to keep your brand new FSD computer now living on top of your glovebox?
Seems like a good way to update your Tesla's Autopilot computer without the $8,000 (soon $10,000) bucks burden. Even if you don't get the software needed for FSD, your vehicle would now be FSD hardware ready.
Thanks George, I mean Art.
I'm the EAP path and watching when/if to go FSD. To infinity and beyond!

Thanks for the info, I didn’t think that eap and full self driving was that much different currently. And who knows when it full self driving will come off beta.

anyone know how performance of full self driving/eap is different when going from hw2.5 to hw3?