Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self Driving without Assistance by this time Next Year - Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the saying, "fool me once, shame on you, fool my twice, shame on me". What's the saying when it's "fool me 28 times, shame on......?"
No kidding. The car can’t even deal with merging lanes when you’re on the highway, swerving out to the right when that right lane gets wide, trying to center itself in the merge lane before gradually drifting back to the left as that lane narrows.

Oh, and let’s not forget the blinded camera shenanigans when the sun is on the side of the vehicle, especially early morning/sunrise. Just hopeless. This at least can’t be solved without a hardware upgrade.

He is just rubbing salt in the wounds of us early adopters, many of whom haven't even gotten their cameras upgrade.

There is also absolutely zero chance of FSD next year and the media needs to do a better job to call Musk out on it.

The media are the last people who should call him out, he’s already shielded himself from media criticism and labeled it a political hit job. Only way to get him to wake up is sales numbers.

Reactions: cwerdna
Our 2016 (grey leather - done away with ... silver paint - done away with ... sun roof - done away with) S that we sold to a person with daily marathon length drives - theoretically - by next year - may have driven it into the ground by that same 2nd owner. wondering how many other of those early rides will go the the grave, w/out a day of ever having received the necessary hardware upgrades, much less real AP, much less, a refund.

1653319930432.png

I can care less about what Musk says exactly, but I do care that he's trying to keep the conversation in the mainstream of popular culture, perhaps to the detriment of his personal reputation. Even if he's proven wrong time and again, i.e. broken promises every year, him pushing that conversation is helping the industry, and Tesla competitors, to continue to adjust their goals. May not necessarily be on autonomous driving, but EV performance, delivery timeline, quality, etc. For me, I purchased my MY a year ago. Even if FSD becomes general release three years from now, I'm still just only halfway of my expected ownership period (8-10 years). In the meantime, I can play with FSD beta and all of the thrills (near misses, lol) that entails.

I've got to say it seems unwise to buy the fsd package without being able to transfer it to a new car since at this rate it's unlikely that any car you buy today will last long enough to see the release of fsd.
That has definitely crossed my mind since I got my MY, but it doesn't weigh heavily on it. It's an investment, and no one can really predict the future - stocks, environments, war, or autonomous driving. Without the benefit of foresight, you invest hoping that the promise will come to fruition. If not, well, it's not the end of the world. Getting it now vs later can also save money, as people can testify for the past 5 years. So it's a trade-off between risk and reward, just like all investments. :cool:

But i am thinking we are probably closer than alot of people realize....
Isn't that what Elon said ~5 years ago (he said "sooner then most people think" but almost the same meaning)? If most people think it's 50 years away, 20 years is still much closer.

Don't believe Elon. He says many things, underdelivers on most of them, some are never delivered. Elon promised many times "3 months maybe, 6 months for sure", "million robo-taxis by end of 2020" (which he said in October of 2020 too), "problem already solved" (2016), etc, etc. He has to say all these things to keep the hype going.

The promises Elon make about auto-pilot seem to me akin to if the the Wright brothers claimed that they will be going to the moon next, that their airplane is a stepping stone, then keep promising humans on the moon every year while delivering on incremental features of airplanes - oh look, out airplane flew higher, that's closer to the moon, we'll be there by this time next year! Plane tech was definitely revolutionary technology, but they were not going to the moon, ever. Same with Tesla cars today and true FSD as Elon sells it.

That has definitely crossed my mind since I got my MY, but it doesn't weigh heavily on it. It's an investment, and no one can really predict the future - stocks, environments, war, or autonomous driving. Without the benefit of foresight, you invest hoping that the promise will come to fruition. If not, well, it's not the end of the world. Getting it now vs later can also save money, as people can testify for the past 5 years. So it's a trade-off between risk and reward, just like all investments. :cool:

The people who bought FSD 5 years ago mostly have nothing. So I guess they lost less money thereby saving money?