Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self Driving without Assistance by this time Next Year - Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, just from this thread alone, it sounds like 98% would buy a different car next time. You just got your numbers reversed... 😅

To add to our "scientific data", I have a reservation for a Silverado EV. It's two years away, but I'll probably get one before CT ever drops.
It seems you can’t grasp the difference between the thread .. and a forum.
There may be a few “outliers “ on this thread.

But, taking the forum as a whole, supports my suggestion.

You have “navigate on autopilot” turned on. Turn it off and it won’t automatically change lanes. It’ll suggest lane changes but it won’t initiate a lane change by itself.
I turned off Navigate on Autopilot, and the car still tried to move over in the left lane for no reason this morning 8 times in 10 miles, once with a car beside me. I don't know if it would have actually moved over into the other car, but it signaled to move over with the faster, passing car to the left of my rear bumper. He slowed down when he saw my car signaling, and was wondering what I was doing. I tried every combination of Autopilot settings. If you have FSD Beta, the car will change lanes on its own without confirmation or notice. Your only option is to intervene or turn off FSD, which I do. FSD Beta makes the car unusable with the automation.

I have FSD Beta and, due to my low confidence in the current version of that combined with Navigate on Autopilot, I still mostly use "basic" Autopilot on the freeway. I have not experienced any auto lane changes in that mode and if that is actually happening, please report it in service request under software, including the approximate time of the event so they can pull the log. Also, confirm that when it happened you did not have a route programmed. The setting for Lane Changes is under the Navigate on Autopilot menu as you probably know, so if Navigate on Autopilot is disabled OR there is no route programmed, auto lane changes should not be possible.

I have FSD Beta and, due to my low confidence in the current version of that combined with Navigate on Autopilot, I still mostly use "basic" Autopilot on the freeway. I have not experienced any auto lane changes in that mode and if that is actually happening, please report it in service request under software, including the approximate time of the event so they can pull the log. Also, confirm that when it happened you did not have a route programmed. The setting for Lane Changes is under the Navigate on Autopilot menu as you probably know, so if Navigate on Autopilot is disabled OR there is no route programmed, auto lane changes should not be possible.
What I am saying is that if I have FSD Beta enabled, It changes lanes by itself, not matter if I have Navigate on AutoPilot disabled or not. Also, when I have Navigate on Autopilot Enabled, The confirm lane changes is greyed out when on FSD Beta. I tried with both a Destination engaged and with no destination. FSD Beta reacts the same.

BTW, this is the road I can reproduce this error 100% of my drives on this road.
1653753562118.png

Last edited:
What I am saying is that if I have FSD Beta enabled, It changes lanes by itself, not matter if I have Navigate on AutoPilot disabled or not. Also, when I have Navigate on Autopilot Enabled, The confirm lane changes is greyed out when on FSD Beta. I tried with both a Destination engaged and with no destination. FSD Beta reacts the same.
Can you post a picture of your settings for lane changing? That shouldn’t be happening…

Count me in the 2%...Love my Tesla, but will never buy another one...

Just picked up my Ioniq5 SEL/AWD, today! Came with Hyundai's version of "Autopilot." Not a single phantom braking incident on the 85 mile ride home from Denver.
This thing is a true competitor on almost every level. (I didn't say Tesla Killer)
- 256/303 miles of range (AWD/RWD)
- $20k less (including FedTaxCredit) than a Model Y. Ouchie.
- You don't have to wait 6-10 months for one.
- You also don't have to 'buy' FSD to get it faster.

Anyone who believes in the EV revolution yet won't consider an EV other than Tesla, is a fanboy. I was one...not anymore. Your Tesla is not your wife...you can buy a different brand without issues...I promise.
Love this post. I’m already looking closely at the Genesis GV60 to replace the wife’s Y next year. Just awaiting more details on it but from what I’ve seen so far, it looks like it has potential to be a significant player in that crossover SUV category

• Funny
Reactions: Stuart Watson
Can you post a picture of your settings for lane changing? That shouldn’t be happening…
Lane changing is greyed out when FSD Beta is engaged. I have it set to Confirm Lane Changes, and that is what I want. I remember in the Change notes one upgrade, it said FSD would ignore settings in Lane Changing. It knows better. We don't even need a driver.:)

Attachments

• 20220528_132405.jpg
    20220528_132405.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 48
Why would you say that ?
I’m genuinely curious.
Here's a guy who owns TSLA, has had 6 Tesla cars, CT reservations, etc...
He loves his new Ioniq5. That's why @Cheburashka would say that....

Get a grip, folks.

Elon isn’t lying. He’s just wrong. And then does things on the basis of thinking he’s right, even though he’s wrong.
He might have been wrong the first time he said it but he’s been saying it for over 5 years now. And he’s handed $10K or so per car every time someone takes him at his word, and a large number of people do add it to their cars. So he’s fairly richly rewarded for being “wrong”. Even the thickest of us eventually get the message that FSD isn’t close. Then remember those videos of the car going from place to place without any driver intervention. Those videos were later found to be faked. Faked videos define a point at which the stench of lies became unmistakeable.

So suppose this was just some sort of an ongoing mind bogglingly colossal optimistic error on his part, would it not make sense to allow the FSD to be transferred to a new Tesla when the original purchaser replaced his car? After all the buyer paid for it and didn’t get it. Nope, Musk/Tesla would like you to buy It again, thank you very much. Oh, and now it’s $12,000.

This man’s other company can put a missile in space and return two boosters side by side to two landing pads. Accuracy isn’t the problem. So if it isn’t accuracy, it’s honesty.

That said, I love my car. The traffic aware cruise control and automatic steering on divided highways is great. It’s about all the FSD I’m likely to use. I don’t need it to drive downtown, to navigate construction areas, nor to wait for and then execute left turns across traffic. I wouldn’t trust the beta software to do that reliably anyway.

One Tesla slammed into a parked fire engine at high speed. The story here wasn’t that the car totaled itself when it failed to avoid the fire engine, it’s that the driver only suffered a foot/ankle injury. Teslas protect people in devastating crashes. Not every time, mind you, but a lot of them. It’s an amazing car.

So the FSD is a lie, currently anyway. But the car Is no less amazing. The amazing car is saddled with an unfortunate lie. The lie says nothing about the car, it only says something about the man and the company.

On a separate note, we just bought an upper trim level Kia Telluride. It has Kia’s version of traffic aware cruise control. It will auto steer on divided highways. So basically the Kia provides me the same function to me as the Tesla’s auto drive software.

What will happen is that FSD will eventually arrive, and shortly thereafter all new cars will have it. It will be better and safer than what we have now, random human drivers, sometimes distracted, often bored, 6% of whom are currently thought chemically impaired.

What you get when you buy the $12K FSD package from Tesla is the promise that you’ll be first on the list and will get it a few years before the rest of the new car buying public. So it’s that promise that you are really buying, and not the “6 months away” or “within a year”. Those time estimates are somewhere between blind optimism and purposeful deceit.

So you can choose what to believe. The bottom line is that FSD isn’t here yet and may well not arrive before you sell your car. It may not be on your next car either but it might be on the one after that. And the following car will probably have it, and by then it’ll be free.

What you get when you buy the $12K FSD package from Tesla is the promise that you’ll be first on the list and will get it a few years before the rest of the new car buying public. So it’s that promise that you are really buying, and not the “6 months away” or “within a year”. Those time estimates are somewhere between blind optimism and purposeful deceit.
Or for those that paid $3k, 5-6 years ago, your car will stop at Green lights. Pretty much the only difference between EAP and FSD for 2018 or earlier. 😂🤣

Wholeheartedly agree with everything you said, though!!! Mind if I copy and paste whenever a Fanboy says "Elon never lies, he's just optimistic about FSD"?

Last edited:
Reactions: ASMills85

This is correct. If FSD Beta is enabled, and AP is activated on a non-highway road (e.g. those that show the full visualization), the car WILL change lanes automatically regardless of whether you are navigating to an address or not. I do find it somewhat amusing (and perplexing) when my car will just change from one lane to the next every few minutes for no reason and with no traffic around me.

NoA in its current form only applies to highways and freeways where the new beta visualizations are not being displayed. If auto lane change is disabled, NoA will not change lanes on highways whether it is active or not.

The "confirm lane change" option is only used with the NoA software stack. It is not used with the FSD Beta. As far as I know, there is no way to control whether FSD Beta will initiate a lane change or not but I believe you can set the frequency of the changes. And yes - I often have to cancel out of AP to correct/cancel a lane change attempt.