Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self Driving without Assistance by this time Next Year - Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, you missed the point. I am saying that because Tesla is only vision, they will not be able to provide Musk's claimed FSD without intervention, ever. It will never go beyond Level 3 Autonomous Driving Standard -- if that. Waymo and Cruise (and others) have a much better chance to succeed because they will have more factual data (vision, radar, lidar, and other inputs) to possibly implement a level 4 or 5 system. Obviously, this would require microphones to hear sirens and other emergency sounds, handle funerals (different laws in different states), closed roads, roads under construction, etc. My car doesn't even have an external microphone, yet it is FSD ready according to Musk. All you need is Vision, and he can do it, he says. Tesla even with a microphone would only be able to tell the driver to take control and handle the emergency vehicles. Wrecks in front of you, stalled cars, and the Tesla standard miss-- 18 wheel tractor trailer trucks crossways across the interstate, history shows Tesla doesn't see them. I hope I am wrong for the future, but I doubt it.
Sorry but your thesis is a bit of a stretch. If you have ever driven in a large city like Chicago you can hear emergency siren vehicles echoing down every street almost continuously. Your “listening concept would have your car stopping every 20 feet. Lol. Add to that (at least in my area) most times the police use their lights Not blaring sirens most times on the roads. Vision IS the right approach in your example.

Reactions: nvx1977
Sorry but your thesis is a bit of a stretch. If you have ever driven in a large city like Chicago you can hear emergency siren vehicles echoing down every street almost continuously. Your “listening concept would have your car stopping every 20 feet. Lol. Add to that (at least in my area) most times the police use their lights Not blaring sirens most times on the roads. Vision IS the right approach in your example.
Well you can determine response via intensity of the sound, direction of the sound, etc, just like a human would. And then correlate that with visual data, just like a human would.

We already know that FSD Beta is not designed to go beyond Level 2 though and we don’t know what Tesla thinks Level 3+ looks like. We also know Tesla is now talking about manufacturing a dedicated Robotaxi vehicle.

Well you can determine response via intensity of the sound, direction of the sound, etc, just like a human would. And then correlate that with visual data, just like a human would.

We already know that FSD Beta is not designed to go beyond Level 2 though and we don’t know what Tesla thinks Level 3+ looks like. We also know Tesla is now talking about manufacturing a dedicated Robotaxi vehicle.
Sorry we don’t already Know anything.

Sorry we don’t already Know anything.
They’re Tesla’s own words. The Autosteer on City Streets beta is here to improve the user experience before rolling it out to the entire fleet as a Level 2 ADAS. They don’t expect any big changes in their OEDR through this beta program that would shift responsibility away from the driver, and work towards Level 3+ will be another iterative process.

Autosteer on City Streets says nothing about Level 3+ functionality, and that’s what is being beta tested at the moment

They’re Tesla’s own words. The Autosteer on City Streets beta is here to improve the user experience before rolling it out to the entire fleet as a Level 2 ADAS. They don’t expect any big changes in their OEDR through this beta program that would shift responsibility away from the driver, and work towards Level 3+ will be another iterative process.

Autosteer on City Streets says nothing about Level 3+ functionality, and that’s what is being beta tested at the moment
Robotaxi certainly implies level 3 or greater. You can have a robotaxi with a guardian "driver", but Musk has said these will be without a driver which is level 4 or 5.

Given we all (proudly) own Tesla‘s … and I’m guessing 98% of us would buy another Tesla, this thread has astonished me.

There isn’t a single post that “supports” Elon’s claims for FSD.

I’m guessing the “boffins” that Elon has employed to deliver the hardware and AI, are misleading him !
He’s trusting of them.

If I were Elon, I’d have someone I trust, from SpaceX perhaps, undertake an audit of all the money he’s spending on FSD development.

At this point in time, the gap between what the owners and enthusiasts say, (above) markedly contradicts Elon’s FSD hopes.
For people reading this thread, please note the age of the accounts that are posting and the positions they have. There is a lot of wisdom contained in the posts in this thread. Ignore them at your peril.

@Stuart Watson, you have been here and driving a Tesla for less than 3 months. I'm trying to be nice here but you know effectively nothing about Tesla the company, their history, or their cars. You are still in the honeymoon phase of Tesla/EV ownership. AP/FSD is still novel to you. "Look Ma! No hands!" You probably still giggle when it tries to smash you into a motorway barrier. We've all been there.

We don't believe Elon's claims because he has been saying the same thing for literally 6 years. "2 weeks!" Give me a break.

Enjoy the honeymoon. Soon you will be in the abused spouse phase(1) where you will make excuses for Tesla and Elon. Most of us are still in this phase because TINA. A few have been able to move on - it will get easier as the other manufacturers deliver more compelling offerings. At some point Tesla will have to change their practices or everyone will move on and the company will fail.

(1) No offense intended to anyone who has had to endure domestic violence.

Tesla makes the best EVs even without FSD. So when you go to buy your next ev if you weren’t satisfied with the FSD experience you can just opt not to buy the FSD feature which is complete optional.

I decided to buy fsd twice and no of course it isn’t worth it but yes I have no regrets.

Im not sure what spousal abuse has to do with anything other than, I suppose, being something you can relate too @strider ??

• Disagree
Reactions: dbldwn02
For people reading this thread, please note the age of the accounts that are posting and the positions they have. There is a lot of wisdom contained in the posts in this thread. Ignore them at your peril.

@Stuart Watson, you have been here and driving a Tesla for less than 3 months. I'm trying to be nice here but you know effectively nothing about Tesla the company, their history, or their cars. You are still in the honeymoon phase of Tesla/EV ownership. AP/FSD is still novel to you. "Look Ma! No hands!" You probably still giggle when it tries to smash you into a motorway barrier. We've all been there.

We don't believe Elon's claims because he has been saying the same thing for literally 6 years. "2 weeks!" Give me a break.

Enjoy the honeymoon. Soon you will be in the abused spouse phase(1) where you will make excuses for Tesla and Elon. Most of us are still in this phase because TINA. A few have been able to move on - it will get easier as the other manufacturers deliver more compelling offerings. At some point Tesla will have to change their practices or everyone will move on and the company will fail.

(1) No offense intended to anyone who has had to endure domestic violence.
Yet another post that I'm going to steal and plagiarize as my own! 😁

Reactions: strider

But I bought 2016 FSD, not 2022 FSD...

1654143921495.png

Tesla Ride Hailing Network details coming in 2017 guys!!! I can't wait!