TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Full Self Driving

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by smak, Apr 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. smak

smak Member

It seems to me that Tesla shouldn't charge you a premium to activate a feature after purchase that doesn't currently work.

I feel they should charge you the same as it would be at purchase time, for this one feature.

-smak-

2. AlexG

AlexG Member

I think some features in the car are upgrades ( like in-app purchases for your smart phone ). The fact that the feature wasn't there when you bought your phone doesn't mean it's not an add-on feature that can be charged for separately.

3. smak

smak Member

What I mean is you pay $3,000 for full self driving at time of purchase, but have to pay $4,000 if you want it later on.

This is for the S

-smak-

4. anonim1979

anonim1979 Member

Those that pay 3k upfront are funding development.
    Think about it as a loan. They get some money back for investing into risky business.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. Topher

Topher Energy Curmudgeon

Is it ok if they give a sale price for those who have the confidence to buy something not yet complete?

I can see both sides, but I hope the will do whatever makes it most economical.

Thank you kindly.

6. Big-T

Big-T Member

3k would be great for full AP2 but isn't it expected to be closer to 8K?

• Disagree x 1
  7. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Past prices are not indicative of market value on a vehicle in a lower price point. We also don't know if they'd offer EAP at all.

8. BrettS

BrettS Member

When ordering a new vehicle it's $5K for EAP, then another $3K for full self driving (which requires EAP). If you were getting EAP anyway then self driving is only an additional $3K. If you're starting from nothing then you need both options and it will be $8K.

• Like x 1
  9. Reciprocity

Reciprocity Active Member

The company actually cannot us that money until they deliver the final product. it is cash in the bank and a liability on the books. It does not become revenue or cash flow for operations or R&D until it has delivered.

10. Topher

Topher Energy Curmudgeon

Sure they can. That's why I gave it to them. Read the agreement you made when you reserved.

Thank you kindly.

• Like x 2
  11. R.S

R.S Member

They will offer AP, so they will offer EAP as well. And I don't think they will be selling it for 4k on the 3 and 8k on the S and X. If there would be a difference in price, it would be the other way around. 4k for the S/X and 8k for the 3.

• Disagree x 4
    • Funny x 1
  12. Topher

Topher Energy Curmudgeon

That would be stupid. Why would they do that?

Thank you kindly.

• Helpful x 1
  13. number12

number12 Active Member

You must have never see a little site called indigogo ... basically this times 1million.

Lots of people ok with it

14. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

They can't price comparable options like that because buyers would complain. Out of sight = out of mind is the rule. I am interested in how Musk will achieve his 25% profit margin on the Model 3 however.

15. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

There is a great benefit for customers and for Tesla to get rid of EAP altogether and instead have either AP safety features or FSD only at least for Model 3. Having the choice of EAP on a mass market car might possibly confuse people.

I'm imaging people thinking their car is FSD when it's only got EAP and more people blaming autopilot for accidents when they should have been paying attention. This will lead to bad press for Tesla and for autonomous cars in general, leading to slower adoption and therefore endangering lives. We've already seen some people who abuse AP 1.0 on a high priced Model S... What's going to happen if you put hundreds of thousands of vehicles on the street. Not everyone is as brilliant as our fellow forum members here on TMC.

The cost also must come down, the reasoning is simple. It doesn't cost Tesla anywhere near $8000 for the hardware. If it did then they'd be losing loads of money on each car sold without the user purchasing FSD. We know this isn't true. If FSD is price appropriately for the Model 3 then it's my opinion that EAP should not be given as an option since it's merely a subset of features. I mean should they offer EAP+ that handles highways and left turns for a premium over EAP? No, of course not.

• Like x 1
  16. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Options are not priced only on the basis of the cost of their hardware.

• Like x 3
  17. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Got my Fidgetcubes this week from the Kickstarter campaign. Finally I have something to fiddle with other than my watch. I keep losing my watch because I'm unconsciously fiddling with it then putting it down wherever I'm sitting.

18. OBX John

OBX John Autonomous Driving Enthusiast

Exactly. They really need to make Econ 101 a requirement in High School; so many people have no idea how pricing works when a company is maximizing their profits, especially when that company has no close competitors.

• Like x 1
  19. R.S

R.S Member

Well they could complain about the Model S and X paying more, but not the other way around. If you buy the 35k base price car, you just have to assume to pay more on options, to get the same level of technology as in the 70k+ base price car. You can't just assume everything will be cheaper on the Model 3, or even the same price.

Like Elon said: "Model 3 is just a smaller, more affordable version of Model S w less range & power & fewer features. Model S has more advanced technology."

It will be close to impossible to explain future Model S customers why AP is a more expensive option on their "more advanced technology" vehicle.

20. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Depends, Elon mentioned that options won't even be on the Model 3 unless they can be lower cost than those on the Model S/X and can be mass produced.

I can explain it quite easily... low volume and the margins help fund Model 3.