TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Full Self Driving's Effect on Tesla Vehicle Pricing - How Far Away?

Discussion in 'Autopilot & Autonomous/FSD' started by Lasairfion, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Lasairfion

Lasairfion Member

Well, I was looking forward to Full Self Driving coming sooner than everyone expects it. But since Tesla will be raising the prices of their cars out of consumer reach as soon as Full Autonomy is solved, I'm going to hope it takes a bit longer. Some countries have a year or more delay beyond US launches as it is, to get our hands on the products.

Not to mention that while in urban areas I expect to see full autonomy decimate car ownership figures (they're low enough already in major conurbations such as London for instance), that's not going to be the case for the rural areas. We still need affordable awesome Tesla vehicles within reach.

So I've made this its own thread. Feel free to discuss :)

• Like x 1
  2. wcorey

wcorey Active Member

Well, they haven't done it yet so I wouldn't worry too much about it...yet.

With autonomous taxis, be they Waymo or Tesla, that will drastically alter the social landscape. Studies already show young people are either not driving or driving later in life and less. For us (boomers) we couldn't wait to leave the nest, both at 16 and at 18 or 22. That's no longer the case, for the most part. Having a driver license was independence.

Help me out here, where is this new thread? This one is so tedious.

3. wcorey

wcorey Active Member

Do disregard the silly question!

4. Lasairfion

Lasairfion Member

With perfect timing, an In Depth video from Zac and Jesse at Now You Know about this exact question:

5. EVNow

EVNow Well-Known Member

#5 EVNow, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Tesla will gradually increase the price, as the demand goes up. They already do this - that is why you see Tesla changing prices often.

Using the ARK model, to let the car buyer have an IRR of 10%, Tesla can price the car around ~200k. But the actual price will depend on demand at that time.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about it right now - may be after City NOA is released, they will increase it a bit.

6. DanCar

DanCar Member

Full self driving is many years away. My guess is HW5. What it is reachable in a couple of years is level 3 on the freeway.

7. Lasairfion

Lasairfion Member

8. animorph

animorph Active Member

I would guess this would not happen until FSD receives wide regulatory acceptance, but spotty acceptance could have an effect. Once Teslas can be used as robotaxis Tesla may start keeping some of their cars to start a taxi fleet. Other companies/startups may place large orders to start their own fleets. Tesla may not have production rates to fill these big demands. If all that happens, prices will increase to match demand to production.

9. jebinc

jebinc M3 LR AWD w/FSD and white premium interior

So true, I did everything I could to get my license as early as I could... In NJ (Bergan county area), back then, it could take many weeks/months to get scheduled for the driving test. So, I found a remote NJ DMV in South Jersey that could get me in that same week - I was off to the races at that point!

• Like x 1
  10. cutesheep

cutesheep New Member

Hi every automated vehicles fans,
    I really need your help and input regarding my dissertation! I would really appreciate it if you could feel out my online survey regarding the features of automated vehicles in the online community. (Im postgraduate of University of Warwick)

Please click on the link below.. it shouldn't take more than 3 mins to complete it. Thank you!!!!!!
    https://warwickwmg.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_7WdAPlhRJOSLDjT