Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full-Sized Spare: Help me decide.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm trying to decided between three options for getting a spare tire. Trying to think through all of the "what ifs." These are my options, which do you think is most reasonable:

#1: Modern Spare $477 with shipping.

#2: New wheel/tire/TPMS from Tesla: $815 with tax

#3: Buy a Tesla winter tire set for $2,250 (plus tax) and use one as a spare. I'm in the northeast.

Obviously, Modern Spare is well reviewed and gets the job done. But I kinda worry about how often people say that they get a flat that needs a new tire, and then that is not available locally. It's a bummer that Tesla sells a set of summer tires for $2,000 when you buy four, but individually, they are $765 before tax.

Thanks everyone.

So I'm trying to decided between three options for getting a spare tire. Trying to think through all of the "what ifs." These are my options, which do you think is most reasonable:

#1: Modern Spare $477 with shipping.

#2: New wheel/tire/TPMS from Tesla: $815 with tax

#3: Buy a Tesla winter tire set for $2,250 (plus tax) and use one as a spare. I'm in the northeast.

Obviously, Modern Spare is well reviewed and gets the job done. But I kinda worry about how often people say that they get a flat that needs a new tire, and then that is not available locally. It's a bummer that Tesla sells a set of summer tires for $2,000 when you buy four, but individually, they are $765 before tax.

Thanks everyone.
That depends on your preference.

I think Modern Spare is nice. It's smaller to save space but not a full size tire with TPMS so it's only temporary.

A single full size standard tire with TPMS from Tesla costs more
and occupies more space but you can use it permanently as a 5th tire rotation until they all wear out.

If you live in snowy region, I would buy a set of snow tires and rotate them with standard tires with seasonal changes. I would use 1 of the 8 tires as spare tire.

That depends on your preference.

I think Modern Spare is nice. It's smaller to save space but not a full size tire with TPMS so it's only temporary.

A single full size standard tire with TPMS from Tesla costs more
and occupies more space but you can use it permanently as a 5th tire rotation until they all wear out.

If you live in snowy region, I would buy a set of snow tires and rotate them with standard tires with seasonal changes. I would use 1 of the 8 tires as spare tire.
Smart idea about using a 5th tire in rotation. Right now I'm stuck between:

1. Going the cheapest route (modern spare.)

2. Vs talking myself into the value of having a full-sized spare because it isn't a 1-time use item like ModernSpare, and how many stories I hear in the forums of people who had to wait days to weeks for new tires when they did have a flat.

Thank you.

I have attempted a 5-tire rotation on two vehicles, but it really doesn’t buy you anything. If you have 4 tires that you would need to replace at 40k miles, you just end up with 5 tires to replaces at 50k miles (I.e 20% more money, 20% further down the road).

It sounds like if you need two sets of tires regardless, buy the narrowest set of wheels and snow tires you can and simply use one as a spare during summer travel months (and one of the summer tires as a spare in the winter).

I have been trying to talk myself out of a modern spare, but I just can’t shake the fear of getting stranded with an unrepairable flat on one of my many trips out here in the barren American Southwest.

I have attempted a 5-tire rotation on two vehicles, but it really doesn’t buy you anything. If you have 4 tires that you would need to replace at 40k miles, you just end up with 5 tires to replaces at 50k miles (I.e 20% more money, 20% further down the road).

It sounds like if you need two sets of tires regardless, buy the narrowest set of wheels and snow tires you can and simply use one as a spare during summer travel months (and one of the summer tires as a spare in the winter).

I have been trying to talk myself out of a modern spare, but I just can’t shake the fear of getting stranded with an unrepairable flat on one of my many trips out here in the barren American Southwest.
Thank you! Yes, part of this conundrum for me is: "Ugh, do I really want to spend $2,250 for winter tires, then twice a year deal with having to change them."

All of this is expensive. The cheapest option ($500), the next level ($800) and the solving for everything ($2,250.) But I suppose, that's a sign of the times, and the cost of being prepared!

Reactions: Lindenwood
We went modern spare as the other routes just seemed to e a hassle. Hope we never need it but the quality looks good.
Thank you! Yes, the benefit of Modern Spare is just the simplicity. It's almost double the price for me to get a full-sized spare. So I'm weighing "Do I go with the complete solution," vs "Don't overthink it! The Modern Spare is good enough for the emergency you want to prepare for." Glad you found what works best for you!

Thank you! Yes, part of this conundrum for me is: "Ugh, do I really want to spend $2,250 for winter tires, then twice a year deal with having to change them."

All of this is expensive. The cheapest option ($500), the next level ($800) and the solving for everything ($2,250.) But I suppose, that's a sign of the times, and the cost of being prepared!
I also support the notion of good all-seasons year-round… you probably won’t be able to barrel down mountain passes at 70mph mid-winter, but even with all-seasons I am often one of the fastest vehicles on the road going up to the ski slopes. And, the same tires will easily hit .90+ gs on a skid pad, which is more than enough for anyone not on a track.

I also support the notion of good all-seasons year-round… you probably won’t be able to barrel down mountain passes at 70mph mid-winter, but even with all-seasons I am often one of the fastest vehicles on the road going up to the ski slopes. And, the same tires will easily hit .90+ gs on a skid pad, which is more than enough for anyone not on a track.
That's really helpful, thank you. My model 3 has all-season tires now. The idea of going for snow tires is my least favorite option now. I appreciate your feedback.

That's really helpful, thank you. My model 3 has all-season tires now. The idea of going for snow tires is my least favorite option now. I appreciate your feedback.

Here's my 5th full-size identical to the other 4 all-season tires. It's restful in the trunk waiting for duty. Once it's used in a flat, it's on as a permanent tire (until rotation/worn out). . I love my setup. It does take up space but it's part of my treatment to crowd out my incurable hoarding syndrome.

It may cost more than a smaller spare kit but it's worth every penny.

jDpsBfI.jpg

Here's my 5th full-size identical to the other 4 all-season tires. It's restful in the trunk waiting for duty. Once it's used in a flat, it's on as a permanent tire (until rotation/worn out). . I love my setup. It does take up space but it's part of my treatment to crowd out my incurable hoarding syndrome.

It may cost more than a smaller spare kit but it's worth every penny.

jDpsBfI.jpg
Thank you @Tam ! Do you mind me asking how much you paid for the full-sized spare? I'm trying to find a way to justify in my mind the $800 quote from Tesla for this, vs around $400-500 for the ModernSpare alternative.

Reactions: SalisburySam
Thank you @Tam ! Do you mind me asking how much you paid for the full-sized spare? I'm trying to find a way to justify in my mind the $800 quote from Tesla for this, vs around $400-500 for the ModernSpare alternative.
1650466955011.jpeg

Just get the Modern Spare bud. It'll get you far enough til you can repair the original tire. Or save a lot of weight and carry a plug kit and inflator. Roadside for all the other stuff.