Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full sized spare tire for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I personally carry a Hyundai Genesis 18" full size spare myself, and it fits in the truck fine. There's also the Modern Spare option that's also great.

It does take quite a bit of trunk space however, if you are carry alot of cargo often, it may not be the best choice.

I have a tire from Modern Spare. I haven't had to use it yet and I only load it into the trunk when I am traveling a long distance from home and need to be there on time. Otherwise, I have AAA roadside assistance with unlimited towing. I've had it for well over 20 years and have had to rely on it maybe 5 times. Three times were for flats which were quickly fixed. Once I had an electrical problem (not in my Tesla) and it was taken to the mechanic of my choice. Each time I called AAA, they sent a flat bed tow truck and it got there within the estimated time. I pay about $200 a year for it but it also covers my wife and my daughter. So, get a spare but also get AAA roadside assistance.

Reactions: canasion35 and KenC
We bought one from Modern Spare for our MYP. We do a lot of fun little weekend drives and usually on the back roads. We had a bad experience with our Mini on a Sunday and it was a lesson learned to just carry a spare for those unfortunate times. Now that we carry one we will probably never ever use it but we have one. We would also use it for road trips. The extra weight is minimal and the space it takes doesn't hurt the packing of suitcases.

I purchased one of. the "Modern Spares" and keep it in the trunk when on long trips. It's nice because it comes in a bag with jack, lug wrench and tire/wheel. I figure as long as I have it, I won't need it. That's proven to be the case so far. Same reason I carry chains in the winter.
Does anyone carry a spare tire for their Model 3? Will it fit in the trunk?

I keep a full sized spare in my garage, but don't drive around with it.

Tim

IMG_2435.jpeg

For general commuting, keeping a full-size spare at home is fine, if you have a way to get it if needed. Like, your spouse can bring it if you get stranded, and a tow service is going to take too long. That way you don't have to clutter the back of the car with a large object.

For long roadtrips, I'm like Shelburne. I carry a compact spare, mine's a Hyundai Genesis, which matches the Tesla's size. I also have AAA's premium plan, since if you do need roadside service, I think it's best to have one that has the widest service network. Having your roadtrip even slightly delayed can seriously ruin your holiday.

Reactions: TBrownTX
For general commuting, keeping a full-size spare at home is fine, if you have a way to get it if needed. Like, your spouse can bring it if you get stranded, and a tow service is going to take too long. That way you don't have to clutter the back of the car with a large object.

For long roadtrips, I'm like Shelburne. I carry a compact spare, mine's a Hyundai Genesis, which matches the Tesla's size. I also have AAA's premium plan, since if you do need roadside service, I think it's best to have one that has the widest service network. Having your roadtrip even slightly delayed can seriously ruin your holiday.

100& - Mine is a commuter car, so I plan to use it exactly as you describe if ever needed. We take the Wife's SUV when we road trip.

Tim

Late to the party. I have a long commute and cannot rely on time if I get a flat (I’m a physician and being late is unacceptable), so I carry a full size spare, jack, puck, compressor, and patch kit as backup. Got the full-size OEM spare on eBay and other stuff on Amazon for less than a modern spare. I feel pretty confident I could change the tire in ~15min and be back on my way with this setup, but hope to not ever use it. My only worry is the ratchet strap, which seems to put a fair bit of tension on the structural beam above the trunk. I tried heavy rubber straps, but couldn’t find a balance between tension and rattling, so went back to the ratchet strap. It only supports half the load of the wheel/tire (bottom edge rests on trunk floor), so I’m hoping it doesn’t cause damage to the frame…if anyone has experience with this or another solution, I’m all ears. Without the strap, it blocks the well and really zaps your cargo space. Not my intended use for the car, but it’s nice to pick folks up from the airport and fit a large carryon from time to time, plus it doesn’t slide around with heavy accelerating/braking/cornering, so I think the strap is worth it.

Attachments

• 5C0028A5-6CA1-488D-9CC6-3CB1B67C5901.jpeg
    5C0028A5-6CA1-488D-9CC6-3CB1B67C5901.jpeg
    585.3 KB · Views: 316
  • Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
Shame they didn't allocate room in the design or stampings for a spare hidden under the floor, and also allow people to utilize it as pure storage if they don't need one.

I am sure space is tight, but it wouldn't be that much of a compromise to expand that lower area to accommodate a compact style spare, and seems plausible a full size given the desire to do so.

I bought a plug kit. These are designed to slip into the hole some foreign object has made in a tire after the object was removed, and they seal the hole nicely and permanently. They last longer than the tire, and... THEY COST ABOUT TEN BUCKS. They don't require that you stick a full-sized tire into your trunk nor that you carry one around trying to fit other things in there with it. I, personally, have not had a flat for several hundred thousand miles, so carrying a spare is silly for me, but, on the RARE occasion I do get a slow leak, I pull over and push a plug into the hole and trim it. End Of Story. Even when I DID get flat tires (while my business was construction) I still carried a plug kit. Tires are expensive. A plug is not. Carrying a full-sized tire around with you all the time is a huge waste of space, while carrying a plug kit hardly takes up any space at all. "Even" a woman can find a slow leak with some soapy water, pull the nail or whatever with some pliers, and push a plug into the hole. She can probably pull out her small air compressor (another ten bucks) and fill the tire from the cigarette lighter socket. I'd MUCH RATHER carry around a plug kit that a honkin' big tire that gets in the way every time I go shopping at Safeway.

Reactions: ODWms
This topic seems to come up once a year. I'm going to link you my post warning people about what happens when 60+ pounds of unsecured load comes barreling at you in a car accident unphased by the weak little back seat latch. Find a way to secure the spare if you can.
Same situation when I go grocery shopping and have the same weight in groceries. Risk management, I think the risk of the items in my trunk flying into the back of my head is low compared to other risks associated with an accident.

Same situation when I go grocery shopping and have the same weight in groceries. Risk management, I think the risk of the items in my trunk flying into the back of my head is low compared to other risks associated with an accident.

What in your groceries are you comparing to the weight of a tire and wheel? A can of soup is not going to have the same force as a tire, even if there are 20 cans of soup, as the weight is spread out and distributed. Physics, yo!

Tim

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
We do around 2k miles per month road-tripping in my M3P.

I once had a flat ruin a whole afternoon planned with my son in a previous vehicle, so I ordered a Modern Spare for my Model 3 right when I got the car.

Unfortunately, it really just takes up too much room for our uses so I returned it and keep a patch kit, some slime, and a compressor in the car. I have only ever had flats from nails and screws so hopefully this is sufficient.

Interestingly, my most recent tire trauma was from a giant pothole that bent both wheels on one side (aftermarket 19s). Fortunately, both tires held and we were able to limp the 200 miles home, but it did occur to me that single modern spare wouldn’t have changed much in that case.

That said, this is definitely a good reminder that I need to sign up for AAA!

I have a tire from Modern Spare. I haven't had to use it yet and I only load it into the trunk when I am traveling a long distance from home and need to be there on time. Otherwise, I have AAA roadside assistance with unlimited towing. I've had it for well over 20 years and have had to rely on it maybe 5 times. Three times were for flats which were quickly fixed. Once I had an electrical problem (not in my Tesla) and it was taken to the mechanic of my choice. Each time I called AAA, they sent a flat bed tow truck and it got there within the estimated time. I pay about $200 a year for it but it also covers my wife and my daughter. So, get a spare but also get AAA roadside assistance.
You pay $16 a month for AAA with unlimited tow? That’s bs. In Cali it’s $70 for 200 mile tow and like $30 a month extra for someone else. So that’s $1200 a year.