Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full surround view when parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm one of those "My Tesla is perfect... even with it's little flaws" people. So you won't find me complaining about much.

However... after having Audis that have the surround camera... it's really on the top of my Wish List of things I hope Tesla is working on!

I don't claim to know what it takes for a computer to put together this kind of image... but like @P100D_Me, I would certainly THINK we had enough cameras, sensors, hidden bumper trolls, magic fairies, etc.!

I would say that if Elon has time to have his peeps implement new games, toilet humor, etc., they have time to make this happen!?!

It doesn't have enough camera's to do it. The cameras it has are designed for AP not for a 3D view so their are gaps in the coverage for a 3D surround view. If you search around there are a few threads going over this. There is also an issue of where the feeds from the camera go, but that's another story.

Has Tesla ever hinted this will be a thing at some point? The car certainly has enough cameras to implement it, or even the ability to select the side cameras so you can easily see the parking bay lines.

Cheers.
Number of cameras the car has is irrelevant. My RAM has 4 cameras and has surround view - my Tesla has 8 cameras, and can't have surround view because the field of view of the cameras is focused on roadways to identify where it can drive and its surroundings, not aimed at the ground to help you park. Still, this does seem like an oversight of a feature for such an expensive car. A compromise is to always back into parking spaces - your mirrors and rearview cameras give you more than enough view to park perfectly without damaging the car. It's also much safer to back IN every time you park instead of backing OUT when you go to leave (and people who complain about backing in are stupid... you have to back out after the fact, so what the hell is the difference in the grand scheme of things - nothing, except that backing in is safer).

Reactions: pilotSteve and jgs