Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Full-Time" AWD Winter Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read most of it; it is quick once you learn what to skip. Did Tesla ever address the fish tailing noted on this thread? Was there ever a software attempt to allow true awd and not slip and grip? One would think with the weight of these vehicles they should be able to run on snow like a 4x4 truck. Appears not so and winter tires are a must and even then not gr8. Was just looking to see if people were running all seasons like my truck and found out something I did not want to hear. Winter is picking up again; unfortunately we get it for 1/2 the year. Here is hoping the Y is a bit better in the snow.

Model X is like a Snow Cat, forget 4x4 trucks (had them for years). Model 3, well, it's the thought (AWD) that counts right? ;)

I suspect Y will be the same. Some how a message needs to get to Elon to fix it. They certainly know how.
And if Y does fix it, they almost surely will fix Model 3.

BTW, if you have track mode, I read it works great in snow. I had Track Mode on my Model 3 and never turned it on once.

There might be CANBUS Graphs of Track Mode torque.

Maybe a tweet "Hey Elon, why is the Model X so much better than Model 3 AWD in the snow, guess I'll have to buy my wife an Audi Quatro".

Reactions: EVDRVN
Model X is like a Snow Cat, forget 4x4 trucks (had them for years). Model 3, well, it's the thought (AWD) that counts right? ;)

I suspect Y will be the same. Some how a message needs to get to Elon to fix it. They certainly know how.
And if Y does fix it, they almost surely will fix Model 3.

BTW, if you have track mode, I read it works great in snow. I had Track Mode on my Model 3 and never turned it on once.

There might be CANBUS Graphs of Track Mode torque.

Maybe a tweet "Hey Elon, why is the Model X so much better than Model 3 AWD in the snow, guess I'll have to buy my wife an Audi Quatro".

So no fix, yes I should have track mode on the one I pre-ordered, does it work? I do intend to forget the 4x4's as I have been driving them in the tundra since 1990 and now hope to see greener things in our future. Guess I will keep one of those 4x4's we have until I see what happens next winter. Not like I do not know how to drive through snow, however, driving through snow storms is not usually the times I am looking for excitement. Fish tailing on a groomed field does not happen too often in my case.

Regards

So no fix, yes I should have track mode on the one I pre-ordered, does it work? I do intend to forget the 4x4's as I have been driving them in the tundra since 1990 and now hope to see greener things in our future. Guess I will keep one of those 4x4's we have until I see what happens next winter. Not like I do not know how to drive through snow, however, driving through snow storms is not usually the times I am looking for excitement. Fish tailing on a groomed field does not happen too often in my case.

Regards

Track Mode I believe will get you going in slick condition, but you would not want to use it so casually. I personally did not try it. I never connected the dots. But I did watch a Video on it. It would be fun to experiment with but not a real long term solution. Crazy expensive on efficiency and might be worse in some conditions because it does assume you do have grip. But it almost surely changes the bias.

I created a new Feature Request on this. I don't even own Model 3 any more. But this issue did bug me.

And a nice solution could spill over onto all Tesla's (like Slip Mode).

I did search on all Model 3 feature Requests with snow in it and didn't find it.

Please VOTE !!

MoreTesla.com

You got my vote even if I will never own the sedan. An awd carrying this kind of weight should have the potential to be a snow-machine and not a slip and grip. Guess awd is a bit different than 4x4 as when you plug it into 4x4 you have the confidence of knowing what you have. Appears with the model 3 you never have the confidence of knowing if you have it or not. It is frustrating sometimes when programmers believe they are smarter than the masses. Thanks for the info we will play with the track mode and read on energy hit. We will see how quick it reacts up front with the Y, unfortunately, not till next season. Tap, tap, tap ;-). We are looking forward to being an EV owner.

I was thinking about this thread on Tuesday driving from VT to MA on snow-packed roads. (at least until I got to Rt 89). I still want a non rear biased "snow mode". Yes for snow tires and the car is very good n the snow, not just OK. But it isn't as good as my Torsen diff Audis. And it doesn't have to be that way.