Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Wrap and Service - Concerned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my Y and I have it at a local shop getting a full vinyl wrap; although it's not PPF it will still help with swirls/minor scratches etc so I scheduled it right after pick up for protection of original paint.

I have to get the car serviced after due to a couple delivery issues (one handle is recessed/not flush, and a taillight alignment/line up issue) and I'm concerned about the wrap. My thought is that if they were to damage the wrap while fixing these issues that they would have likely damaged the paint, but them damaging the paint would be on them, the wrap they would likely wipe their hands clean and say that's not their problem (understandably but still...)

Looking for some "support" to ease my mind when it comes to repairs and having a vinyl wrap with anyone who may have experience with it. Yes I could have rescheduled the wrap until post repairs, but this isn't going to be the first service the Y will have, so let's skip those comments which wont help me now anyway.

Side note... I'm glad I'm getting the wrap because the MSM paintjob has an orange peel look and just seems... dull? I had to keep myself from doing a full wax detailing on it when I got it from how "blah" it looked, made me feel better even better about deciding to wrap it. Would rather have the satin gray I'm getting than a shiny-yet-dull paintjob it came with.

Last edited:
You bring up a good point about wraps. It's likely Tesla (and any other maker) would refuse to repair a part if the repair might jeopardize the integrity of the wrap. It's not OEM. They might even ask you to sign something to that effect, that they are NOT responsible if the wrap is damaged in the act of making the repair/adjustment that you've requested.

I would share with the people that is doing your wrap. I know of a case in town where someone was wanting their windows tinted but yet they needed work done on one of them and the company was known to redo the tint after the repair for good customer service. I would see what your wrap company says about this first before doing the work.

Reactions: ChrgdTeCHick
Same thing happening to me. Getting it wrapped right now. Noticed rear bumper isn't aligned that well and the passenger handle is too flush.

When I see the service center I'm going to tell them that the car is wrapped and it was very expensive so please tell them to be careful. I also will take photos right BEFORE I take it in at the service center as proof.
And if you're detailer is a good guy, if they mess something up they may be able to repair it for you for free.

I just got my Y and I have it at a local shop getting a full vinyl wrap; although it's not PPF it will still help with swirls/minor scratches etc so I scheduled it right after pick up for protection of original paint.

I have to get the car serviced after due to a couple delivery issues (one handle is recessed/not flush, and a taillight alignment/line up issue) and I'm concerned about the wrap. My thought is that if they were to damage the wrap while fixing these issues that they would have likely damaged the paint, but them damaging the paint would be on them, the wrap they would likely wipe their hands clean and say that's not their problem (understandably but still...)

Looking for some "support" to ease my mind when it comes to repairs and having a vinyl wrap with anyone who may have experience with it. Yes I could have rescheduled the wrap until post repairs, but this isn't going to be the first service the Y will have, so let's skip those comments which wont help me now anyway.

Side note... I'm glad I'm getting the wrap because the MSM paintjob has an orange peel look and just seems... dull? I had to keep myself from doing a full wax detailing on it when I got it from how "blah" it looked, made me feel better even better about deciding to wrap it. Would rather have the satin gray I'm getting than a shiny-yet-dull paintjob it came with.

Don't worry about it. Ideally waiting would have been best but the tesla SC guys aren't idiots. Anything that can damage a wrap would damage paint as well. Worst case they mess up a panel's worth of wrap, you get them to pay to replace it and the installer replaces just that section. Some mentioned it not being OEM, that applies to warranty claims, not to damages. If I have aftermarket seats and a repair place ruins them, they are still on the hook. I know plenty of folks with custom wraps who have gone into service. I just did myself though it is just a clear wrap.

Nice choice on the satin BTW. I think the matte look adds a layer of aggressiveness that compliments the lines on our cars. I have an MSM 3 and will be doing a stealth wrap shortly. (just have clear PPF on the front right now)

Just wanted to say all good points from everyone. I was already past the get the repairs first point but good feedback to anyone who may read this in my same situation. I attached some pictures of the wrap's various shades for anyone that's interested.

I feel the same about the SC guys seeing cars with wraps before and as I had mentioned anything that damages the wrap would likely damage the paint too so the SC guys would be taking care to not cause damage either way. I will make sure I mention the wrap (although it's obvious it has one) and I did mention it to the company that wrapped it; although they wouldn't have to fix it for free (maybe they would work with me on the cost as other suggested), it's who I'd take it back to to fix anyway.

I'm not following the "shiny-yet-dull" paint job. What does that even mean? Also, satin grey won't give off the appearance of a high gloss clearcoat. It will also be on the dull end of the spectrum.
The Tesla paint is not the best. It has a flat shine to it, as in, it doesn't have a depth shine look to it. I believe it's due to no high-end clear coat? It's hard to explain, it just didn't look good. My 2013 Model S had a more showroom finish look before I sold it and got the Y a few days later. Then again I kept it waxed and detailed.

My wrap of course has no gloss, I got matte for a reason. The Y's paint just had, the best way I can word it, a dull shine. I like my cars where I can slide a towel off the hood or matte/satin. The paint job came with what felt like a not-so-good in-between.

Attachments

• 20210330_140053912.jpg
    20210330_140053912.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 599
  • 20210330_140221623.jpg
    20210330_140221623.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 166
It's likely Tesla (and any other maker) would refuse to repair a part if the repair might jeopardize the integrity of the wrap. It's not OEM. They might even ask you to sign something to that effect, that they are NOT responsible if the wrap is damaged in the act of making the repair/adjustment that you've requested.
That's not what happened to me. I had a lower panel replaced due to road damage. They just told me in advance that they would not put wrap back on the panel. Nothing to sign. Afterwards, I went to the original installer to have that part wrapped again. Oh, and to my surprise, the installer did it for free even though a year had passed. Good customer relations I guess.

Don't worry about it. Ideally waiting would have been best but the tesla SC guys aren't idiots. Anything that can damage a wrap would damage paint as well. Worst case they mess up a panel's worth of wrap, you get them to pay to replace it and the installer replaces just that section. Some mentioned it not being OEM, that applies to warranty claims, not to damages. If I have aftermarket seats and a repair place ruins them, they are still on the hook. I know plenty of folks with custom wraps who have gone into service. I just did myself though it is just a clear wrap.

Nice choice on the satin BTW. I think the matte look adds a layer of aggressiveness that compliments the lines on our cars. I have an MSM 3 and will be doing a stealth wrap shortly. (just have clear PPF on the front right now)
Hi I have a question regarding this. I just ordered my Tesla and plan on wrapping the car as well.

My question is whether PPF should be done before wrapping or if it is needed at all. I've tried to do my research but lots of discussions seem to talk about PPF and Wraps as if they were 2 separate things completely.

My original thought process was to do PPF on the front like you mentioned yourself and then to completely wrap the car.

Thanks!

Hi I have a question regarding this. I just ordered my Tesla and plan on wrapping the car as well.

My question is whether PPF should be done before wrapping or if it is needed at all. I've tried to do my research but lots of discussions seem to talk about PPF and Wraps as if they were 2 separate things completely.

My original thought process was to do PPF on the front like you mentioned yourself and then to completely wrap the car.

Thanks!
A wrap takes the place of PPF so you would just have the wrap done.

A wrap takes the place of PPF so you would just have the wrap done.
A wrap is much thinner than PPF, it doesn't offer protection.

Thanks!

A lot of people do PPF after the wrap to extend the life if the wrap. This is especially handy if you get a satin one because drying it to avoid water spots is a pain. I didn't want to spend more money on the wrap so I decided to do a satin PPF after the wrap hits its end of life.

A wrap is much thinner than PPF, it doesn't offer protection.

A lot of people do PPF after the wrap to extend the life if the wrap. This is especially handy if you get a satin one because drying it to avoid water spots is a pain. I didn't want to spend more money on the wrap so I decided to do a satin PPF after the wrap hits its end of life.
That seems so redundant. People really PPF over their wraps?