Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor FullShade - The First Retractable Roof Sunshade for Tesla Mode 3 and Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello friends!

Like you, I'm a Tesla owner myself. Me and my team designed a retractable roof sunshade with the most efficient light and heat blockout for Tesla Model Y/3, hoping to help every Tesla owner to enjoy the driving experience a little better. I'm sharing this product and our story behind on KickStarter. Hope to hear your thoughts and get your support!

Click to see details!

banner_画板 1 副本.jpg

Last edited:
This would be an interesting product if it made use of the existing interior trim panels to support the frame. I have no need of shrinking the existing window space to accommodate the frame.
I checked their installation video, it definitely shrinks the panoramic sunroof space.

Moderator Edit: Taptes astroturfing account posting this. We have found numerous accounts astroturfing and pretending they are customers. Shady business practice, and against site rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree
Reactions: garth_angst
Don’t disagree with you - It is strange that no other sellers have this product, or are no longer stocking their variant. Seems taptes has been out of stock since this thread got some life.

Maybe if there is a patent pending, the seller should be able to provide some proof of filing, but as I said in my last post, I’m not quite sure how patent filings work with overseas manufacturers, I would imagine it involves a middleman, legal, filing, etc.

I would also think it would help the vendor garner legitimacy amongst its potential consumers.

Sorry if it seemed like I was going all in - was just seeing if the vendor would keep their sales channels open to different platforms other than crowd sourcing.
I will say that the way it works with contract manufacturers in China is many times the original inventor may give plans to the contract manufacturer to make, but the contract manufacturer ends up using the plans to make it themselves under their own brand for a cheaper price (sometimes at the same time or even slightly before the original project was supposed to release). So it's always best for people using a contract manufacturer to get or at least file a patent first before giving any plans, although that doesn't necessarily protect sales in China (which is notably lax in IP protections).

However, this case seems to be a different one as this vendor is from China also.

• Informative
Reactions: Massive Attack
I ordered a full sunshade from the OP's Kickstarter campaign. Yes, it's a gamble.

As far as patents are concerned, I think in China, it's a first-to-file system, not like in the US, where prior art claims can supersede a shipping product.

Let's hope the Estimated Delivery of Oct holds, and we find out whether this is real or not.

Reactions: Massive Attack
An update, I got the product in October! It came at the end of last week, so a little over 2months, as promised in the Kickstarter campaign. I'm shocked. I've had some campaigns come several years late, and some not at all.

Anyhow, the product comes as expected, as pictured in the campaign images and video. Cost me $350, including shipping, so $300 less than Taptes, and almost $200 less than AliExpress.

I watched an influencer install the Taptes on Youtube, and I saw the box it came in. It's the same factory as the box I got from the Kickstarter. So, clearly, all these are coming from the same place, look the same, are the same.

Having said that, what do I think?
Positives, it works as expected. Color is a close match and the slide mechanism is smooth, the pleated shade blocks the sun.
Negatives, from certain angles you can see there is a gap between the product and the headliner. With the rear shade installed, you can see a gap between shade and headliner, near the lights.
IMG_6203.jpeg

The other negative is you can see you lose about a couple inches in headroom, due to the contour of the glass, where the shade is straight across.
IMG_6207.jpeg

Looks good, Ken. Thanks for the update.
Seems like a decent product/option, for anyone who really wants/needs this type of shade.

That small gap would bother me, but there is probably an easy DIY solution to get rid of it.
Just insert/tuck some type of fabric or fabric lined trim along the length of that gap (on the top/inside part of the shade frame).
Of course, your insert will sit on the top/inside/hidden part of shade housing, so you won’t be able to see it from inside the vehicle.
This should make the gap much less noticeable and perhaps even to a point where it appears there is no gap at all.
Heck, if you’re feeling a little next level DIY, you could even fabricate your own fabric lined insert. Just buy a long thin piece of wood trim from your local HD/Lowes and then trim&glue some fabric to it.

Give it a try and let us know if it produces the desired result.
Looks like there is there is enough room between the top of the shade frame/housing and your glass roof, so you won’t have to remove it to access the top/hidden side of the shade frame.

Good luck!!

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
This actually already exists and has been available at Taptes. Up until the kickstarter was announced, this item was $499. once the copycat kickstarter was announced, the price of the already available one went up to $598. Ouch.

And on Aliexpress it's exist for long time and maybe cheaper

Reactions: ScottNY
I bought and installed Fullshade, which I believe is the original product, from Otrifowd, in my 2020 Model 3. Absolutely brilliant product. Works exactly as described and has NO rattles. Easy to install. I now have the choice of glass or no glass. Although my previous excellent sunshade from Tessories was very neat it was obviously not as easy to open/close by removing it as is Fullshade. People that I have shown it to assume that it is OEM. Excellent communication with the company before and after purchase.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I bought and installed Fullshade, which I believe is the original product, from Otrifowd, in my 2020 Model 3. Absolutely brilliant product. Works exactly as described and has NO rattles. Easy to install. I now have the choice of glass or no glass. Although my previous excellent sunshade from Tessories was very neat it was obviously not as easy to open/close by removing it as is Fullshade. People that I have shown it to assume that it is OEM. Excellent communication with the company before and after purchase.
Great to hear! What about the gaps around the frame that others have complained about?