TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

fully adaptive air suspension

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by peterfd, Apr 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. peterfd

peterfd Member

The Tesla blog of 23 April includes "Fully Adaptive Suspension"
    I have not been able to find much detail beyond what is written there.

This adaptive suspension is potentially a game changer. My air suspension is good on the highway but my passengers complain that it is too rough on typical city streets (19-inch wheels).
    Having an "ultra-cushioned feel when cruising on the highway or using Autopilot, and responsive, exhilarating confidence during dynamic driving."
    will be a significant improvement and hopefully compete well with the adaptive suspensions of other manufacturers.

How is the Tesla fully adaptive suspension different from the Porsche Air Suspension including Active Suspension Management
    https://www.porsche.com/australia/models/macan/macan-models-1/macan/chas...
    or the Mercedes-Benz adaptive suspension system
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a23100515/2019-mercede...
    Will it work even better because it is location-aware?

It will be interesting to read the suspension reviews when the refreshed Model S is available.

Peter

2. compu85

compu85 Supporting Member

I'm suspecting - but have no data to back this up - that they'll use a "basic" adaptive system, like our Touareg and ELR have, where there's a normal shock absorber, with a computer controlled valve which the ECU can use to make the shock softer (the electronic failure mode is full stiff). There will be accelerometers at each front strut tower, and one in the rear, and the existing ride height sensors.

I don't think they'll use something like GM Magneride - a more complicated and power hungry setup. And more expensive I'd think.

I'm really looking forward to driving a newly equipped S - adaptive damping is something I always thought was missing.

-J

• Informative x 1
  3. peterfd

peterfd Member

Attached Files:

4. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Since MagnaRide doesn't offer different heights but Tesla does, so it is not MagnaRide in Tesla.

It's quite promising but it's been ignored because it's been "too heavy, too complex, and too expensive to implement".

I doubt Tesla is going for it without a significant increase in price.

It's unfortunate that Tesla doesn't explain what their new system is about.

5. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Active Member

Isn't this adaptive suspension just the same as the air suspension but with computer control ie the computer changes the suspension according to how "hard" you drive it?
    ie it can raise ride height and that will harden suspension, or lower it and soften suspension.
    If it is different from this, please let me know, as it would push me to upgrade!
    I would LOVE true active suspension, where ride height is INDEPENDENT of shock hardness. I want the car LOWER when the suspension hardens up, as it is, it gets higher!

6. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

Mag-ride could be used with air suspension.
    Mag-ride is about the shock, the current Tesla air suspension is all about the spring. They could be used together.

I loved the Mag-ride on my last car but it being power hungry seems plausible.

7. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

My idea of adaptive suspension is a smooth ride. That means I could compare how much water in the cup is spilled or not at all by driving over potholes and bumps.

But I have no idea what this new Tesla adaptive suspension means!

8. Rogue Synapse

Rogue Synapse Member

Smooth ride on highway and casual city driving. Firmer, more responsive, tighter for cornering when “spirited” driving is detected. I bet there is going to be some trial-and-error over a few software updates...

9. john85775

john85775 Member

Yes indeed. Just got 2019.28.2 and it cites improvements to the adaptive suspension. It is just so smooth especially compared with our old MX.

10. cduzz

cduzz Member

My understanding of air springs is that they have a non-ideal issue where the taller the spring, the stiffer the spring rate, because to raise the level you need more pressure which in turn raises the spring rate.

A mitigation to this is to have each spring mechanism have multiple actual air bladders of different sizes so that you can tune the spring rate by pressurizing different bladders to raise and lower the spring rate and the spring length somewhat independently.

Other mechanisms might be to adjust the rebound rates of the shock absorber through means like the magnetic systems or some other means (I could imagine having the valve that allows oil to move around in the shock to be dynamically adjustable somehow).

I wish tesla would go full retrofuture and go full green balls
    Hydropneumatic suspension - Wikipedia
    [​IMG]