Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

fully autonomous driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it true that the X does not have the hardware to do full autonomous driving? Tesla is developing a whole new set of hardware of autonomous driving for the model 3. If thats the case, can the X gets retrofit the new hardware?(very unlikely) Anyone cares to charm in.

Elon has stated that the current sensor suite is not sufficient for full autonomous driving. It is highly unlikely that when additional sensors are introduced that earlier cars will be upgradable.
ITesla is developing a whole new set of hardware of autonomous driving for the model 3.
I am not aware that Elon or Tesla has stated that to be the case, but given that the Model 3 is not going into production until late 2017, if then, it seems probable that it will launch with more sensors than what the S and X currently have.

All he says is that a new AP hardware sensor suite is under development (to the surprise of no one), he did not commit to any timeframe as to when it will be implemented into the S/X, and he said nothing as to whether or not the Model 3 would launch with it.
I agree it seems likely that by late 2017 new Teslas will be built with more AP sensors than they have now. I personally doubt that those new sensors will be available in 2016. But I could be wrong...