Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fully charged @ 84 miles?!?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never seen this happen before...anyone know what's going on? It is important to note that this is a 40 kWh software-limited 60 kWh battery, so my usual full charge is about 132 miles. I've tried unplugging/replugging the UMC from my 240 V, tried using a 110V, and the car thinks it is fully charged. Is it possible it really is fully charged, yet the display is wrong? Given that the full battery meter is for 60 kWh of charge, the green bar looks like it is more than 84 miles full...

IMG_8863.JPG

We've had one or two posters show this type of behavior, in one case I believe it was a faulty charger and in the other it was a component in the battery pack (which required refurbishment).

I was one of those i think metioned above that had this issue where my battery had to be fixed due to an issue.

Fremont SC only drawing 10A on my car.

My car at an SC did the same thing, and go through my thread and you'll see it said full at ~80miles.

Turns out the heater/temp control system "vent plug" failed on my battery. I was swapped a loaner for almost 6 months while I waited for a repair, but got one with more miles and have had my battery back about a month or two now and it's just as good as it was before it went bad, and conservative driving is raising the Rated 90% and 100% a few miles. 250 @ 100% range charge today on a P85 with 68k miles.

if it's the vent cover plug issue, be prepared for a long service swap. And go ahead and have them unlock the full potential of that 60kW. You deserve it gratis if the battery needs service.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I had a similar but not as drastic drop when I saw a full charge at 116 (Normally charges to 131-132) I called and had them run diagnostics and they told me everything seemed fine it was just something weird about the calculation. Sine then I changed my car to range mode and all charges have gone back to the normal 131-132 on full charge.

Had similar issue with P85 (2013) 55K miles.
Range degradation from 230 90% charge to 182 90% charge. Was working with them to get a replacement, and waiting on the loaner to be available.

Suddenly 58 rated miles was max charge. (at first I thought the timing software wasn't working - Normally start charge at 11pm to get lower rates).

At home (220V, 40 amps), at work (110V, 12 amps) at supercharger, nothing would charge it more than 58.
While they had it waiting for replacement battery, I saw it got back into the 180's, but I've had the loaner battery for over 2 months and am back to 232 90% charge...

No word yet on what the underlying problem was.

Egads. I don't like hearing these kinds of reports. My range has been dropping steadily over past 2-3 months. A year ago 90% was 240, 238; six months ago maybe 236, 234, 233; start of winter, 232... 230; January saw 228, I now see 227 max. And vampire drain is becoming FAST... couple hours, 225, 224.... Kind of alarming.

Don't confuse vampire drain or excessive range loss due to overuse of things like Ludicrous mode.

We are talking here charging that stops as complete even though the set limit wasn't reached. That is indicative of a battery pack problem from bad contactor switch (1-2 days and serviceable) or similar mechanical issue up to and including issues with cells or banks of cells. Anyone with a loaner battery for over a month has something wrong that is likely some mechanical issue not cell related. I kind of figure there just a small team <20-30 people working on battery FA and repair.

In my case, the cells are perfectly fine, seems some vent failed. Service records showed a plug for vent and coolant replaced. I was told they had to rebuild the vent cover assembly in the battery. (Something related to thermal mgmt)

Egads. I don't like hearing these kinds of reports. My range has been dropping steadily over past 2-3 months. A year ago 90% was 240, 238; six months ago maybe 236, 234, 233; start of winter, 232... 230; January saw 228, I now see 227 max. And vampire drain is becoming FAST... couple hours, 225, 224.... Kind of alarming.

There is some seasonality in rated range. My 90% charge # goes down in autumn and through winter and back up in spring - summer. At the moment it is still creeping up and should peak in late April / early May. On v6 & v7.0, my loss was trending at -1.5 miles per year. v7.1 introduced a bit of an anomaly in my data that corrected it downward just a bit... I plan on updating the seasonality thread around June or July or so.