Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fully Charged Range Difference Between FWD and Dual Motor Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I have 2 Model 3's that are both long range models. One of them is single motor whereas the other dual motor.
I notice significant range indication differences on both of them when I charge them to full capacity (aka: Trip charge setting)

Single Motor M3 - 310 Miles
Dual Motor M3 - 299 Miles

I understand range is a projection and not absolute, but nonetheless, I would expect at 100% charge that both would have closer if not identifical full range readings. I contacted Tesla support and they said they did remote diagnostic on my dual motor M3 and that there was nothing wrong. They told me to charge my dual motor M3 to 100% capacity for a couple of weeks. I did that but no change to the projection.

Has anyone seen this in their M3's?

Hi

I have 2 Model 3's that are both long range models. One of them is single motor whereas the other dual motor.
I notice significant range indication differences on both of them when I charge them to full capacity (aka: Trip charge setting)

Single Motor M3 - 310 Miles
Dual Motor M3 - 299 Miles

I understand range is a projection and not absolute, but nonetheless, I would expect at 100% charge that both would have closer if not identifical full range readings. I contacted Tesla support and they said they did remote diagnostic on my dual motor M3 and that there was nothing wrong. They told me to charge my dual motor M3 to 100% capacity for a couple of weeks. I did that but no change to the projection.

Has anyone seen this in their M3's?

They will not as the constants are such that the LR RWD has 325 rated miles at a full charge when not degraded, and the pre-2020 LR AWD has 310 rated miles when not degraded.

The max energy content of your LR RWD is about 234Wh/rmi*310rmi = 72.5kWh (compare to ~76kWh when new)
while your LR AWD has max energy content of about 245Wh/rmi*299rmi = 73.3kWh (compare to ~76kWh when new).

So your dual motor currently has more energy available.

My current understanding:
Lines & Constants

Reactions: TheCaptain67
I always thought the single motor had better range than the dual motor (that was one reason why I wanted the LR RWD in preference to the LR AWD, but it was no longer available)

Both readings seem lower than expected (my 100% is 310 for the Dual Motor), but the one being higher than the other is what I would expect?