Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fully charged?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what if i want to drive 165 miles to a location that is in the mountains (about 5000 ft elevation) from sea level in the winter (-5 degrees farenheit)? would it be smart to charge to full range 100% to get there without a stop? Oh and I like to drive around 75-80 mph

what if i want to drive 165 miles to a location that is in the mountains (about 5000 ft elevation) from sea level in the winter (-5 degrees farenheit)? would it be smart to charge to full range 100% to get there without a stop? Oh and I like to drive around 75-80 mph
Are you being sarcastic or is this a serious question? If you drive 75-80 mph you should charge to 100% regardless of the temp or elevation. Actually I would recommend charging to 100% at the start of any trip out of town. You never know what unknowns there are.

Reactions: loganintx
I can't think of any reason to NOT charge to 100% if you are driving out of town as long as you don't let the car sit at 100% for a long time before leaving town or you have to leave right away and the car hasn't finished charging to 100%.

Are you being sarcastic or is this a serious question? If you drive 75-80 mph you should charge to 100% regardless of the temp or elevation. Actually I would recommend charging to 100% at the start of any trip out of town. You never know what unknowns there are.

No no not sarcastic !! I know I would need to charge to 100% -- I was more concerned with whether or not you all thought i could make it with one charge or would I likely require a stop. I re read my post and realize I wasn't too clear

I can't think of any reason to NOT charge to 100% if you are driving out of town as long as you don't let the car sit at 100% for a long time before leaving town or you have to leave right away and the car hasn't finished charging to 100%.

I tend to address this a lot -- you shouldn't get the expectation that you *must* leave within 15 seconds of the car showing "charge complete" to 100% for battery health. I have charged to 100% before in the morning and left in the evening; I'm not afraid to range (100%) charge; and I've even forgotten to set it back to 90% before so that my car sits at 100% for a couple of days.

Once you've checked that your setting is truly at 100% (all the way to the right), the reason the bar doesn't show completely full is that after a charge, there is what we call "vampire drain" because the car's electronics still draw power. Over a couple of hours, you'll see the car move down a mile or so.

There are plenty of threads that give tips on how to maximize range. 165 miles should be easily doable on a full charge of 240+ miles. If the trip computer shows you as being in the danger range, slow down just a bit.

I fly drones/quadcopters that use LiPo batteries and they have built in discharge functions but the default is 10 days. I set my batteries to 3 days. I may charge them the night before to 100% even if I'm not going to fly until 18 hours later though. And then, if I don't go fly it will be 72 hours before they start a slow discharge on their own. It would probably be bad over time to charge to 100% and keep the car plugged in and charging set to 100% for many days in a row without driving the car.

I fly drones/quadcopters that use LiPo batteries and they have built in discharge functions but the default is 10 days. I set my batteries to 3 days. I may charge them the night before to 100% even if I'm not going to fly until 18 hours later though. And then, if I don't go fly it will be 72 hours before they start a slow discharge on their own. It would probably be bad over time to charge to 100% and keep the car plugged in and charging set to 100% for many days in a row without driving the car.

I can tell you from my experience that you just shouldn't worry about it - I have set it to 100% and left it there for 3 days (accidentally). True, it is bad if you *always* put it to 100% permanently. That said, my car has spent 337.5 hours of its life at 99% or 100% SOC since Oct 2013 (when my data starts). It still charges to 260 miles after 55,000 hours on a refurbished pack (mileage prior to refurb is unknown). Linear regression on the time-series is showing it's losing about 1.5 miles per year.

Last edited: