Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fully deflate lumbar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there some sort of trick to fully deflate the lumbar? I feel like once I started messing with it from delivery now my seat is uncomfortable and I can't get it back to how it was.

No amount of pushing the back button, back and down, back and up fully deflates it.

I have one of the newer cars with no passenger lumbar and that seat feels way more comfortable.

Is there some trick to fully resetting it?

I don't have any suggestion, but I hate lumbar adjustments and you have now convinced me to NEVER mess with mine! I don't know what the issue is, but I've had similar experiences in other cars (non-Teslas) where I felt like once I messed with the thing, I could never fully retract it again.

I thought you pressed the button, towards the back of the seat, and it deflated via pressure of your body. Not active deflation, but passive. Because it's passive, it seems like nothing is happening.

How about this:

Try pressing forward to make the lumbar bladder fully inflate. It should press into you. Then move it to the middle of its vertical range - - press down if it is high or press up if it is low. Once it's in the middle, press back until it fully deflates.

Full deflation is probably not the most comfortable. Try half inflated. For me, the lumbar portion of the seat feels 'normal' when it's half inflated or so, as if there is no obvious support but no lack of support either. If fully deflated, it feels very concave to my spine. Everyone's different, ofc.

If you're still not comfortable, try adjusting the tilt of the bottom seat by pushing up or down on the front of the rectangle. Sometimes minor adjustments there can make a big difference.

It'd be useful if the UI showed numbers for the location of each adjustment, then we could dial into small changes even better and share our seat positions. Memory for passenger seat would also be nice. Still, this is the best seat and adjustment system I've ever sat in! (my sample size is pretty low tho lol)

Is there some sort of trick to fully deflate the lumbar? I feel like once I started messing with it from delivery now my seat is uncomfortable and I can't get it back to how it was.

No amount of pushing the back button, back and down, back and up fully deflates it.

I have one of the newer cars with no passenger lumbar and that seat feels way more comfortable.

Is there some trick to fully resetting it?
Tesla has had to replace mine twice due to it inflating and not deflating. i don’t know if mobile service can do it or not since both times the car had other issues that required going to the SC.

I have a similar issue with my 21 M3. Feels like I'm sitting against a basketball after about 30mins of driving. No amount of button pushing, or pressing on the support seems to fully solve the problem. Glad to see I'm not the only one. I have a service appt, but parts are still on order. My passenger seat has no lumbar support adjustment, and feels much more comfortable to me than the driver's seat.

For an interesting look inside a Tesla seat, check out this video. You may be surprised to see how the lumbar support works in this example at 9 mins-

Last edited:
I have a similar issue with my 21 M3. Feels like I'm sitting against a basketball after about 30mins of driving. No amount of button pushing, or pressing on the support seems to fully solve the problem. Glad to see I'm not the only one. I have a service appt, but parts are still on order. My passenger seat has no lumbar support adjustment, and feels much more comfortable to me than the driver's seat.

For an interesting look inside a Tesla seat, check out this video. You may be surprised to see how the lumbar support works in this example at 9 mins-
Interesting. I wonder if the 3/Y seat is the same as the S/X seat. There must be a way to get the lumbar put without replacing the seat back. Or at least I don’t think they have replaced the seat back twice.

Reactions: Jejunjm
Just had mobile service look at my May 2022 Model Y because the lumbar isn't easily adjustable like it was on my 2018 Model 3. Tech replaced the switch module but that didn't resolve the issue. The only way to get the lumbar to reliably deflate is to inflate it to the max, then deflate it. When that happens, you can hear the air escape. I am theorizing that the deflation valve gets stuck closed, and only opens when the pressure is high and the deflate signal is there. Like the valve seat is sticky, and high air pressure is needed to assist the electrical solenoid. What do you think? Did anyone have a similar issue resolved by Tesla?

You don't need to tear apart your seat to accees the lumbar pump.

You just need to remove the headset which hold the back cover of the seat. See at 9:12 on this video.

You could improve the lumbar system to provide a massage function:

Last edited: