Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fully optioned Model 3 price in USD?

Fully optioned Model 3 price in USD?

Votes: 21 10.0%

Votes: 40 19.1%

Votes: 50 23.9%

Votes: 30 14.4%

Votes: 26 12.4%

Votes: 11 5.3%

Votes: 15 7.2%

Votes: 5 2.4%

Votes: 11 5.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What exactly is this performance parameter? The dreaded 0-60 and 1/4 again? Then, yes. But those are not the daily use for most owners, let alone the competition it's being compared to. I think the German cars listed are Autobahn cars more than anything. That's what they're designed and built to do. Not to try and compete with Tesla's ludicrous party trick.

Seriously? 0 - 60 is not the daily use for most owners? It sure is for me -- every single day -- and I bet it's the same for the vast majority of Tesla owners. I drive with a lead foot but I don't worry about mileage or noise. Just instant fast torque right off the line -- without drawing attention to yourself. It makes my commute so much better and so much more fun. I don't drive like a yahoo but I do drive fast off the line. I used to say it's not illegal getting up to the speed limit fast -- but apparently it is, still no tickets yet. If I drive my wife's BMW the way I drive my car, the gas mileage goes out the window, not to mention the fact that it revs, fumes and does all that other nasty stuff.

I'm really looking forward to getting a smaller fully loaded Model 3 to zip around town in, going zero to 60 super fast and silent. If you think others are not, and 0 - 60 is not the daily use for most owners, then you're thinking like BMW, Mercedes,etc. and we'll be seeing you in the rear view mirror.

I say again... To my eye, AUDI, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Porsche interiors were entirely Spartan for a very long time. Those cars were expensive, sure... But not particularly 'luxurious' at all. They just happened to use leather where Volkswagen would use vinyl, and wood where Volkswagen would use plastic. When competitors from Acura, Infiniti, and Lexus arrived on the market, that is the point where the Germans began to truly 'Up Their Game' with car interiors. Sure, it was 25+ years ago, so a lot of people have convinced themselves that it has 'always been this way'... But, that isn't the case at all. It used to be that a top-of-the-line S-Class was no more than a pale imitation of Rolls-Royce. Now they are instead a blatant copy of Bentley.
Which is in turn a BMW

What exactly is this performance parameter? The dreaded 0-60 and 1/4 again? Then, yes. But those are not the daily use for most owners, let alone the competition it's being compared to. I think the German cars listed are Autobahn cars more than anything. That's what they're designed and built to do. Not to try and compete with Tesla's ludicrous party trick.

Seriously? 0 - 60 is not the daily use for most owners? It sure is for me -- every single day -- and I bet it's the same for the vast majority of Tesla owners. I drive with a lead foot but I don't worry about mileage or noise. Just instant fast torque right off the line -- without drawing attention to yourself. It makes my commute so much better and so much more fun. I don't drive like a yahoo but I do drive fast off the line. I used to say it's not illegal getting up to the speed limit fast -- but apparently it is, still no tickets yet. If I drive my wife's BMW the way I drive my car, the gas mileage goes out the window, not to mention the fact that it revs, fumes and does all that other nasty stuff.

I'm really looking forward to getting a smaller fully loaded Model 3 to zip around town in, going zero to 60 super fast and silent. If you think others are not, and 0 - 60 is not the daily use for most owners, then you're thinking like BMW, Mercedes,etc. and we'll be seeing you in the rear view mirror.
+1, Its the first 5 meters that count. :) Lovingly insane daily. Mercedes knows.

1/4 mile time is more important for me than 0-60 or 0-30

If you're not driving exclusively on the Autobahn, then there's a serious shortage of cops where ever it is you are driving. Around here, it doesn't matter if it's a Tesla, BMW or Mercedes, if you go as fast the car can in 1/4 mile times, you won't be driving for long. Not legally at least after your licence is pulled for doing that routinely. 0 to 60 you can get away with routinely. 1/4 mile = tickets, fines, points and eventually loss of licence.

If you're not driving exclusively on the Autobahn, then there's a serious shortage of cops where ever it is you are driving. Around here, it doesn't matter if it's a Tesla, BMW or Mercedes, if you go as fast the car can in 1/4 mile times, you won't be driving for long. Not legally at least after your licence is pulled for doing that routinely. 0 to 60 you can get away with routinely. 1/4 mile = tickets, fines, points and eventually loss of licence.

No autobahn but i also don't want a car that drops off significantly after getting out of the hole.
Track and DD use so 1/4 mile is more important for me. You do realize even going 0-60 in 4-5 seconds you're still driving above speed limit in most situations. In town speeding light to light will likely get you more tickets than using the power out in the open areas. So i'm also concerned with rolling times from 30-70 mph.
0-60 times are very overrated

Last edited:

Doing that you will go through lot of drivetrains. Like anything if you keep pushing it from dead stop, something is going to give.
But that's your call.

You do realize even going 0-60 in 4-5 seconds you're still driving above speed limit in most situations.

You don't need to go the full 60 and unless I am entering a highway from a stop, I don't go the full 60. Around town the speed limit is 30 (50 km/hr here) but the cops generally give you an extra 10 km/hr over that before ticketing. And it's getting up to that allowable speed limit fast that is really important to me and I do that on a daily basis, from the time I leave my driveway in the morning to when I get home at night. If I had to do that in an ICE with good quarter miles times I would lose my Tesla grin in an instant.

1/4 mile doesn't interest me. I don't drive on the Autobahn or on a race track.

Doing that you will go through lot of drivetrains. Like anything if you keep pushing it from dead stop, something is going to give.
But that's your call.

Infinite Mile Warranty

I don't plan on owning the car longer than that.

0-60 is vitally important for me also.

0-60 is vitally important for me also.

Every on-ramp onto I-35 in downtown Austin requires a good 0-60 time in my eyes. The ramps are very short and people don't speed up to freeway traffic fast enough to merge so it would be nice to be able to get up to freeway speeds quickly.

Here is a good example. The right is a frontage road that the traffic goes 35mph. To the left is a 55mph freeway. During rush hour no problem. On weekends when traffic is light it is a nightmare. See the lane you end up in is also an exit lane for a downtown exit. You have to speed up to freeway speeds because cars might be getting into your lane at 55mph. This onramp is right after a traffic light.

Merge_zpsgf6ltjsm.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Sage
^^^^^^
i understand your perspective

Why zero to 60 mph performance is overrated

but people buy all types of cars for different reasons:)

I read the article but despite the headline he never once tells us why it is overrated. In fact, overrated only appears in the title but not the article itself. The article boils down to two points:

In the real world, acceleration is usually done when merging onto a highway or passing someone in the next lane. Neither situation has anything to do with how quickly a car will move from a complete stop.

Anyone who drives a Tesla knows that when merging onto a highway, there's no better vehicle to do it in than a Tesla, unless perhaps a Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport that he compares a Tesla to, which will never happen with my dog, wife and three kids in the car -- and the frunk and truck full for the weekend at the cabin. Right? So point #1 is complete and utter BS.

Another part of the problem with 0-60 times is the inconsistencies and inaccuracies that come with manufacturer claims.

This is what the article is basically about -- the nuances in time differences dependent on claims, weather, tires, and he goes on and on. So what? Does that mean the Tesla is not fast off the line?

The article is just another in the long list of automotive magazines and blogs whose very existence is threatened by Tesla. No more adds from the usual clients (STP, Exxon, ICE parts, etc.) if Tesla takes hold. It's funny how 0 to 60 is celebrated in these same magazines and blogs until Tesla comes along and blows away ICE vehicles with a family sedan. Now, all of a sudden, 0 to 60 doesn't matter to them. Well it sure does to me.

As a Leaf driver, the 0-60 isn't that great, I think maybe 8 or 9 seconds is what I've seen before. But 0-30 or 0-40 is still quite impressive and great for jumping fast off the line and that sort of thing. So maybe I can't quite get to highway speeds super quick, but it's still fun to drive. Maybe not as fun as a Tesla though.

Reactions: mhan00 and Red Sage
I read the article but despite the headline he never once tells us why it is overrated. In fact, overrated only appears in the title but not the article itself. The article boils down to two points:

Anyone who drives a Tesla knows that when merging onto a highway, there's no better vehicle to do it in than a Tesla, unless perhaps a Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport that he compares a Tesla to, which will never happen with my dog, wife and three kids in the car -- and the frunk and truck full for the weekend at the cabin. Right? So point #1 is complete and utter BS.

This is what the article is basically about -- the nuances in time differences dependent on claims, weather, tires, and he goes on and on. So what? Does that mean the Tesla is not fast off the line?

The article is just another in the long list of automotive magazines and blogs whose very existence is threatened by Tesla. No more adds from the usual clients (STP, Exxon, ICE parts, etc.) if Tesla takes hold. It's funny how 0 to 60 is celebrated in these same magazines and blogs until Tesla comes along and blows away ICE vehicles with a family sedan. Now, all of a sudden, 0 to 60 doesn't matter to them. Well it sure does to me.

There are many cars just as fast from 40-70 MPH.
0-60 is a different story as the Tesla p90d will punish them.
again, i'm more concerned for the 1/4 mile and 40-75 acceleration in my choices.
It will be interesting to see if the model 3 will be as fast from those speeds as the P90D/100
we don't know yet
We just have different driving agendas in what is important for each of us. No big deal
My two 3's will be loaded with all options and they are for my wife and daughter who are beyond excited for their cars.

Last edited:
There are many many cars just as fast or faster from 45-75 merging onto the highway not sure what you're speaking of
0-60 is a different story

Where I merge onto highways in my neck of the woods I'm coming from secondary street on ramps and I'm not doing 45 to 75 km/hr let alone mph. When I'm merging, I need to find an opening, and if there isn't one, and I'm doing those speeds, I'd be slamming on the brakes. You find me another 5 seat sedan with trunk and frunk space that can merge onto highways at about 20 to 40 km/hr, which is the speed we merge at around here (any more and you better not be merging but have your own lane) then ramp it up as fast as my Tesla, and I'd like to see that vehicle. The thing about merging is you have to get up to speed fast, since you have to merge slow, although a lot of drivers around here move to the inside passing lane when we see vehicles coming from on-ramps merging onto the highway. I not only merge fast after approaching slow, I move right over into the fast lane and pass any slow pokes.

Where I merge onto highways in my neck of the woods I'm coming from secondary street on ramps and I'm not doing 45 to 75 km/hr let alone mph.oWhen I'm merging, I need to find an opening, and if there isn't one, and I'm doing those speeds, I'd be slamming on the brakes.

Same here in So Cal Canuck. We have many on ramps that are short. You have to shoe-horn yourself into traffic:

"Any time you merge with other traffic, you need a gap of at least 4 seconds, which gives both you and the other vehicle only a 2 second following distance."

Good luck with that in So Cal. BTW, traffic in the lane you are trying to merge into has the right of way, but many of the dumbinos here think it's their right to cut you off, even if there is a car to your left and you can't move over. I would love to have the torque to go from 35 mph to 70 mph in a couple seconds, as most drivers in the slow lane are doing around 60-65 mph if they can during non rush hour, which is a different story.

Every on-ramp onto I-35 in downtown Austin requires a good 0-60 time in my eyes. The ramps are very short and people don't speed up to freeway traffic fast enough to merge so it would be nice to be able to get up to freeway speeds quickly.

Here is a good example. The right is a frontage road that the traffic goes 35mph. To the left is a 55mph freeway. During rush hour no problem. On weekends when traffic is light it is a nightmare. See the lane you end up in is also an exit lane for a downtown exit. You have to speed up to freeway speeds because cars might be getting into your lane at 55mph. This onramp is right after a traffic light.

Merge_zpsgf6ltjsm.png

Mmmm, those lower deck I35 entrances in downtown Austin are..... exciting to say the least. Having a quick car would make them somewhat better, totally agree. I always avoided getting on 35 from that area if at all possible when I would travel to Austin. Ugh.

The only entrance I have ever encountered that was worse was the old I35 to I30 transition in downtown Fort Worth before they re-did the interchange. It was literally a 90 degree turn then immediately dropped you on I30 with concrete barriers surrounding you to merge. So glad they redid all that.