Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fully optioned Model 3 price in USD?

Fully optioned Model 3 price in USD?

Votes: 21 10.0%

Votes: 40 19.1%

Votes: 50 23.9%

Votes: 30 14.4%

Votes: 26 12.4%

Votes: 11 5.3%

Votes: 15 7.2%

Votes: 5 2.4%

Votes: 11 5.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the biggest issues that faced Preston Tucker was that for all the funds he got from investors, and spent on advertising and marketing, and got from 'independent franchised dealerships', and got from potential Customers, and got from government programs, and all the work that was done on paper to design the Tucker '48... There was still enough of a question mark hanging over the firm that trumped up charges of securities fraud and whatnot could be brought against him to ruin his reputation and halt the progress and momentum he was building up.

I'm certain that Tesla Motors is full of people who are entirely aware of what happened to Tucker, and later, DeLorean. Tesla has to be incredibly careful to have something concrete to show for their efforts at every stage of the game. Because Naysayers and their 'questions' will be there every step of the way, just waiting for anything at all to use as an excuse to move for injunctions and sanctions and inspections and fines in order to make their lame accusations have the faintest appearance of legitimacy.

Some have been making suggestions, that Tesla should be 'all about the money'... That Tesla should have people purchase accessories without a car... That they should let people pay higher deposit amounts in order to move up in line... That they should pay higher deposit amounts to get 'FREE (of additional fees) for LIFE (the life of the car)!' Supercharger access. And though there is probably nothing actually wrong with any of that...? It wouldn't matter one whit, because Naysayers would claim there were 'bad optics' or that something 'smelled fishy' anyway and would thereby demand investigations and hearings anyway. And all that would lead to proclamations of, "I told you so!" all over the place.

Tesla has been working very hard to avoid such roadblocks and must continue to do so for probably another ten years at least. Because there are Naysayers who have been claiming that Tesla is a fake company with fake goals and fake philosophies for the past ten years at least. There are those who are absolutely certain that Elon Musk is a charlatan, a flim-flam man, or someone else without an ounce of integrity or an iota of sincerity. And they are constantly snooping for the slightest bit of information that will bear those thoughts out as truth.

Now the secret question is this: How much of the M≡ price is built into each MS $10K? $20K? $30K?. Elon/Tesla might just take that secret to their grave.
I'm pretty sure it isn't a per car basis, it is more of a general statement that sales of the Model S helped the Model 3 come into existence by keeping the company running, funding the research and development, and generating interest in BEVs.

Reactions: Red Sage
Any hands for Red Sage to cease referring to as "naysayers" anyone who doesn't bow, kneel and praise and repeat his exact words?
I just got here and it's getting tiresome fast. I usually don't try to discuss other posters on forums, but today I'm inspired.

Get it right, it's not "naysayers" -- it's "Naysayers." Very important to capitalize the "N" as it signifies the Tesla-specific naysayer as opposed to just "naysayers" in general.

The following is from a conversation that took place elsewhere:

Tesla Naysayers are those who adopt the Ford Prefect position of, "I don't believe it! Prove it to me, and I still won't believe it!" They cast Doubt on anything that Elon Musk says, and everything that Tesla Motors plans. They want Uncertainty to reign among concerns for Tesla's actions. They promote Fear as the proper stance in regard to Elon's vision. FOXTROT. UNIFORM. DELTA. FUD.

Jim Cramer and Cory Johnson are two of the loudest Tesla Naysayers. The two of them have apparently convinced themselves that there is no substance to Tesla Motors and that the company deserves neither the accolades over their cars nor the fervor over their stock on Wall Street. They believe that Tesla's supporters are somehow brainwashed and irrational. They refer to the Cult of Elon, or the Cult of Tesla, as if that would be a bad thing. They believe that TSLA would be overpriced at 1/100,000th of BRK-A, and they are astounded that TSLA is instead around 1/1000th of BRK-A instead. I'll be happy to watch their heads explode on television when TSLA is some day at about 1/100th of BRK-A.

Bob Lutz has stated his personal distaste for Tesla Motors before, but I think that for him it is an honest philosophical disagreement. I do not believe he wishes any ill will to Tesla, he just believes there is another way to reach The GOAL. He believes that cars are and should continue to be primarily motivated by gasoline. He sees electrification as a means to preserve ICE in modern society, not as a means to replace it. He thinks that cannot happen right now, and that no one should try to make it happen before its time. And he hopes like [HECK] that its time is far enough into the future that he never has to lay eyes on it himself. I expect he will hold that position, even when the Model ☰ outnumbers the Prius on the streets of Detroit and surrounding areas. He will never admit to being 'WRONG' no matter how much evidence is presented to him. Naysayer? Maybe more of a Soothsayer, or even a DOOMSAYER, when it comes to Tesla Motors, I'd say.

If that description of a Tesla Naysayer does not point to your own position on Tesla Motors, then my statements on the subject are not about you at all. Thus, there is no need to take offense. Unless you'd prefer to not be exposed.

Visited a Tesla fan who owns a drag shop. He said he wouldn't be surprised to see 300k be a top of the line 3.
Dual battery packs-stacked-all new body panels, 28" wheels, new electric control panel, 3rd party software, encrypted, off line from tesla,
entertainment throughout the car back seats-upgraded seats to racing, etc. That's the future. He said if you can stay ahead of this tech and hire some really good black hat hackers it most certainly can be done.

Visited a Tesla fan who owns a drag shop. He said he wouldn't be surprised to see 300k be a top of the line 3.
Dual battery packs-stacked-all new body panels, 28" wheels, new electric control panel, 3rd party software, encrypted, off line from tesla,
entertainment throughout the car back seats-upgraded seats to racing, etc. That's the future. He said if you can stay ahead of this tech and hire some really good black hat hackers it most certainly can be done.
That sounds reasonable, creditable and repeat worthy to you? Why not 3 battery packs? Are the 28" wheels also spinners?

I almost forgot you were this guy.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1666066/
And this guy.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1670044/
And this guy.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1649006/

It helps put the above in context.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bennny and Red Sage
Tesla Motors has been aware of such efforts for quite some time:

Tesla Motors -- Annual Report
ANNUAL REPORT PURSUANT TO SECTION 13 OR 15(d) OF THE SECURITIES EXCHANGE ACT OF 1934
For the fiscal year ended December 31, 2012

Item 1A -- Risk Factors

Automobile enthusiasts may seek to “hack” our vehicles to modify its performance which could compromise vehicle safety systems. Also, we are aware of customers who have customized their vehicles with after-market parts that may compromise driver safety. For example, some customers have installed seats that elevate the driver such that airbag and other safety systems could be compromised. Other customers have changed wheels and tires, while others have installed large speaker systems that may impact the electrical systems of the vehicle. We have not tested, nor do we endorse, such changes or products. In addition, customer use of improper external cabling or unsafe charging outlets can expose our customers to injury from high voltage electricity. Such unauthorized modifications could reduce the safety of our vehicles and any injuries resulting from such modifications could result in adverse publicity which would negatively affect our brand and harm our business, prospects, financial condition and operating results.

Every on-ramp onto I-35 in downtown Austin requires a good 0-60 time in my eyes. The ramps are very short and people don't speed up to freeway traffic fast enough to merge so it would be nice to be able to get up to freeway speeds quickly.

Here is a good example. The right is a frontage road that the traffic goes 35mph. To the left is a 55mph freeway. During rush hour no problem. On weekends when traffic is light it is a nightmare. See the lane you end up in is also an exit lane for a downtown exit. You have to speed up to freeway speeds because cars might be getting into your lane at 55mph. This onramp is right after a traffic light.

Merge_zpsgf6ltjsm.png

You think that's bad... here in LA we have stop signs on onramps on a curved freeway with 10ft to get to 60 mph.

i-TCqVGW8-XL.png

Reactions: JeffK and Red Sage
I would have to think its going to be closer to 70 for a fully loaded model3. I believe this for 2 reasons. one he stated he thinks the average price would be 42k and second Tesla will get blasted from media and consumers saying that it no longer makes it an affordable car like Tesla had been saying for several years.

With some cars $85-90k, and a whole ocean of option between that and the $35k base version...how are they ever going to end up at the expected $42k average purchase price?

By the sum of the prices paid to all cars sold divided by the number of cars sold happening to be $42,000.

I wasn't under the impression that Elon meant that number as anything more than an educated guess. Of the same level as the the comment that the original 40kWh Model S would be the most popular battery size.

Thank you kindly.