Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fully optioned Model 3 price in USD?

Fully optioned Model 3 price in USD?

Votes: 21 10.0%

Votes: 40 19.1%

Votes: 50 23.9%

Votes: 30 14.4%

Votes: 26 12.4%

Votes: 11 5.3%

Votes: 15 7.2%

Votes: 5 2.4%

Votes: 11 5.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Base model S is $66k and top of the line is about $150k, so more than a double in the price. If the ratios are held constant and assuming a $35k base price, the top end Model 3 would be about $80k. Assuming that some of the items have a cost floor (like the inconel used in ludicrous upgrades), I wouldn't be surprised if it's a little bit more, maybe $90k.

Speaking about options in general... I would love if the option prices are proportionately scaled from the Model S based on the base price. If they are, I will be likely to get a number of packages, but otherwise, it may just be range and AP that I spend my money on. Subzero, audio, and AWD would be "nice to have" options, but it will just depend on the price.

Base model S is $66k and top of the line is about $150k, so more than a double in the price. If the ratios are held constant and assuming a $35k base price, the top end Model 3 would be about $80k. Assuming that some of the items have a cost floor (like the inconel used in ludicrous upgrades), I wouldn't be surprised if it's a little bit more, maybe $90k.

Speaking about options in general... I would love if the option prices are proportionately scaled from the Model S based on the base price. If they are, I will be likely to get a number of packages, but otherwise, it may just be range and AP that I spend my money on. Subzero, audio, and AWD would be "nice to have" options, but it will just depend on the price.
That's the thing, I don't see option prices being half that of a Model S.

Model S options are priced with decent margins, but certainly not more than 100% profit. Even if they were 100% profit, now if you suddenly sell everything at half the cost for the Model 3, there is zero profit. Things like dual motors will not vary much in price. Sure, the Model 3 motors might be a little cheaper, but nowhere near half the cost. What's more likely is that instead of $5000 for dual motors and Tesla pocketing $1000, Model 3 might have slightly cheaper motors that cost $4000 and profiting $500. I have no idea if those numbers are anywhere near realistic, but I think it gives you an idea of what the options will cost. They will be cheaper, but not half.

To that end, to keep costs down for a maxed out 3, I think there will be slightly cheaper options and also less of them compared to a Model S. After all, some options must be reserved for the higher-end, more luxurious car. And the shared options might not be as lavish. Maybe the premium package doesn't include a HEPA filter or lighted door handles. In addition to knocking off a small percentage of each feature in that package, having fewer features means the package price goes down even further.

That's the thing, I don't see option prices being half that of a Model S.

Model S options are priced with decent margins, but certainly not more than 100% profit. Even if they were 100% profit, now if you suddenly sell everything at half the cost for the Model 3, there is zero profit. Things like dual motors will not vary much in price. Sure, the Model 3 motors might be a little cheaper, but nowhere near half the cost. What's more likely is that instead of $5000 for dual motors and Tesla pocketing $1000, Model 3 might have slightly cheaper motors that cost $4000 and profiting $500. I have no idea if those numbers are anywhere near realistic, but I think it gives you an idea of what the options will cost. They will be cheaper, but not half.

To that end, to keep costs down for a maxed out 3, I think there will be slightly cheaper options and also less of them compared to a Model S. After all, some options must be reserved for the higher-end, more luxurious car. And the shared options might not be as lavish. Maybe the premium package doesn't include a HEPA filter or lighted door handles. In addition to knocking off a small percentage of each feature in that package, having fewer features means the package price goes down even further.
I hear you and tend to agree. One of the bigger variables this time around is scale - Tesla can place orders in the hundreds of thousands rather than tens of thousands, and so it might result in getting better prices, but it's tough to say how big of a difference if might make.

Reactions: Colsla

What is the base price of the M3's competition?

I can't for the life of me figure out why the MS has anything to do with the question.

A good question - I believe the Model 3 has no direct competition.

Which other electric mid sized sedan, can do 0-60mph in (potentially) sub 3 seconds, with a range of (potentially) >300 miles?

We could compare it to the BMW M3, the Merc C63 etc, but they're a different beast being ICE, slower acceleration, etc etc
I understand what you are saying however in the automotive world. ICE compares to EV. They have the same size classes.

The M3's competition is indeed the Audi and BMW 3 series. The competition even spoke up itself and made a commercial.

• Informative
Reactions: Bennny
Fully optioned Beemer M3, $90k!

Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 10.42.34 AM.png

I was hoping a loaded Model 3 was going to top off at around $65,000 maybe $70,000. If it is higher than that I don't think I can justify it. $70,000 ++ can get you alot of car. The BMW M3 is a PROVEN straight up performance track car out of the box that is made to handle daily track use with numerous laps in the heat at great distances. I don't think it's a very fair comparison. None of the body panels, suspension or anything resembles a stock 3 series. I really wish Tesla would give us an idea on what the Model 3 will Max out at. I have a feeling that if its $80,000 ++++ people will start backing out. Don't get me wrong I really want this car and and want to support this movement, TESLA, and Elon Musk. I just can't see them charging like $90,000-$100,000 for the Model 3 with Ludicrous like some people are saying. Thats a lot of chedder for a midsize sedan. I thought the whole point with the Giga Factory and simple design.etc was to make this car more affordable so the majority of people can experience this wonderful machine. I guess another option is to get some options later like auto pilot, supercharging and wheels later. That should take a good chunk off of the price and get me closer to my goal of $65,000(which is still way way higher than what I was intending to spend). However, from what it looks like and from what people are saying on these forums I still won't even be close. I guess I will continue to cross my fingers and hope for the best. I might have to just wait and get one used. Just was really looking forward to the TESLA buying experience.

i hope they max it out at no more than 70k. Prices over that cant be justified for normal people no matter how hard you try (and I'm trying! :)) Price for volume Elon!!

I don't know, once you add in the biggest battery + Performance + Ludicrous, it will probably be pushing 60-65k or so. And that's without all the extras like AP, supercharging, paint, pano, wheels, etc. Definitely going to be more like 85k-90k if you check every single box on the order page.

I don't know, once you add in the biggest battery + Performance + Ludicrous, it will probably be pushing 60-65k or so. And that's without all the extras like AP, supercharging, paint, pano, wheels, etc. Definitely going to be more like 85k-90k if you check every single box on the order page.
I have to disagree that this car will move from $35K to $90K. Almost 3 times the base price? I just cant see it.

Reactions: Red Sage
I'm not sure it's relevant to search a competitor based on the 0-60 time.
Should we look for Model X competitor among soccer mom cars with Gull Wing doors to compare somewhat the Falcom Wing ones? It's a party trick and you spend $10K extra on it, no opt-out.
Same for the large motors Tesla uses. Smaller ones are cheaper. Chevy, Nissan, etc, use them. It helps them build a car they can sell and not lose money on. The Ludicrous stuff is a party trick. It doesn't help much for track ability. In Europe, people care more about lap times than 0-62 (0-100kph) or 1/4 mile (1609.3 meters) times.
I'd say a hot hatch managing under 6 seconds for 0-60 in a top spec versus Model 3's base spec, is still a full-on competitor. For those customers who won't have anything but an EV, there are few cars to choose from.
If the Model 3 doesn't have the option for a dash display, only HUD, that may make it a no-option to many. Spending $60k to get (to them) a 3P90 with decent range of 350 miles and no bragging right options or luxury, may not convince everyone either.

People used to buying supercars are universally in love with s $45K Ford Focus. Official: 2016 Ford Focus RS will have 350 HP, and an MSRP of $36,605, well equipped at $41,680 This is their favorite hot hatch play car coupled with practicality and 4 decent seats. A daily driver.

So to cost twice that, would need to pack a lot of extra luxury, technology and dring fun. And the top level Model 3 may well delivery. Sub-3 0-60, impressive 300+ mile range that satisfies plenty of $150k sedan buyers and exceed that of many $100K EV's sold. The 15" screen with it in-depth phone app features, browser, in-car cinema, huge rear view cam, etc...

To those who regard the Model S too "grandpa", a Model 3 with sporty looking features may well be the trick. A lot may depend on how sporty/hip Tesla will allow them to be. And how detailers and tuners jump into this market. If Tesla allows the top Model 3 to outperform the Model S on acceleration and lap time under $100K, it's going to make a dent in the spendy car market same as the modest green thinking 1.4 kid families that'll scrape buy getting a loan for the base version.

The matt black Model 3 proto shown may be an omen... I can totally see one with GT3/4 style body kit. Imagine that alongside Renault Sport RS 01 having its own cup series. Could be immensely compelling.

On handling, a base Model 3 60D may end up being a really impressively handling car at a decent price. Throw in a sports suspension kit, $45K total?

I have to disagree that this car will move from $35K to $90K. Almost 3 times the base price? I just cant see it.
I just can't see buying a Model 3 with every single box checked for the same price as a base Model S 60 with zero options. I'll be happy to be proven wrong though once the numbers come out, as someone who is desperately waiting to buy a Model 3 and would love to get as many options as I can possibly afford.