Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fumes/Burnt smell in Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving the other day on a city road and smelled this fumes from the cabin. It smelled like burning wire. I thought maybe it could be coming from outside but there was no construction or anything where I was driving. The smelled eventually went away. The next day, when I was driving, I didn't smell any fumes from the cabin, but when I parked inside my garage, there was a strange smell inside the garage, like something was burning. About an hour later, I went to run an errand with my wife and I asked her to smell the garage to see if she notices anything and she can tell there was an odd smell. I haven't noticed anything since. My VIN is 21xxx. Has any other Model 3 owners notice any strange smell from the car?

Yes, I notice a smell sort of like like hot/melting wire/heat shrink like you describe sometimes when getting in the car with the HVAC heat on. It usually goes away within a minute or two . I haven't noticed it from outside the car yet. It seems to happen randomly, altthough maybe it is more severe when it is colder and the heating needs to be stronger

I checked my AQ meter's HCHO readings while that initial smell comes out, it hit over 0.2 mg/m3 before decided to open my windows. After a few minutes with the windows closed, it was down to <0.05 mg/m3 or normal.

I suppose I could try a more through test to see what it peaks at, however, I think I would need to not run my heater for a while. More ideally, this should be done on brand new Model 3. Mine's already 5+ months old.

Last edited:
When I noticed it, it was about 20 minutes into my commute. I haven't smelled it in several days but have been using the heat (and seats) quite a bit. I wonder if it's like firing up the furnace in the beginning of the season...

Happy to report back that I got the car checked at Tesla and everything is working according to OEM. They mention that if it happens again, to record the time and date and description of occurance so they can go into the system logs to check. I’m thinking it might just have been the outside pollution getting in. Will continue to monitor.

No, it's something in the HVAC ducts. Maybe it will go away. I was an EE and the smell was unfamiliar to me and I've smelled many types of electrical smells. I suspect a lubricant or waxy insulator connected with an actuator within the ducts.

I have a Dual Motor M3 delivered in September 2018 with 2397 miles.

I consistently smell a chemical odor similar to burning wire when starting the car after it has been sitting unused for a long period of time.

It’s most noticeable when starting it in the morning in my garage. It seems to occur only when the vent fan is on but with both cool or heat.

If I turn the fan off, the smell dissipates, but I typically still need to open the windows.

After running the vehicle for approx 5 minutes, the vent stops producing the odor. However, it’s strong enough in that initial period that it’s cause for concern.