Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fun with Scammers...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
So, I'm selling a fairly large item online, and I get the most entertaining emails.
Usually I just delete them, but sometimes I have too much free time.

So, when asked for my address, in usual scammer broken English, poor grammar, never calling, and never actually asking questions about the item for sale, and only wanting to pay full price, while being located thousands of miles away... I usually give a made up one. But... you know... I thought... I can do better.

So, sometimes I use the white house's address.
Sometimes I use a random business. But then I thought... Why not see if I can fight back... in a lazy, but entertaining way?

So, I googled the FBI head quarters. And the Director's Name...

Unfortunately, some scammers at this point will end my fun with profanity, or other, or just vanish.

This guy, however... didn't... so,... I can't wait to see how this plays out:

The tracking number actually tracks! He actually mailed something to the FBI HQ.
(his input says VA, but tracks from NV?)
OMG it's actually going to the FBI HQ. I seriously hope they look into it.

Bonus points for the scammer not knowing my "made up name" lol.

Hello,

I am glad that payment has been sent to you location through USPS courier, here is the tracking number for the payment (9405501699320131321275), Check will be delivered today or tomorrow , as soon as you receive the check,deposit in your account and ask your bank when money will be credited in your account.

Let me know the moment you receive and deposit the check.

Sent: Monday, September 11, 2017 9:47:23 AM
To: SabrToothSqrl
Subject: Re: Sales Lead: Ad #XXXXXX- BoatTrader.com (LeadId:XXXXXX)

Hi,

Just to let you know check will reach you by Wednesday, I will send you tracking number by Wednesday,let me know when you deposit check in your account

Sent: Friday, September 8, 2017 4:14:01 AM
To: XXXXXXX
Subject: Re: Sales Lead: Ad #XXXXXXX- BoatTrader.com (LeadId:XXXXXX)

Got all the details,payment will reach you early next week by USPS, let me know when you receive it.

Have a nice weekend and acknowledge this email

Sent: Thursday, September 7, 2017 4:09:50 AM
To: Michael Jason
Subject: Re: Sales Lead: Ad #XXXXXXXX- BoatTrader.com (LeadId:XXXXXX)

(202) 324-3000 <----(((((FBI HQ PHONE NUMBER))))))))

On Sep 7, 2017, at 05:09, Michael Jason <[email protected]> wrote:

send me your cell phone number

Sent: Thursday, September 7, 2017 1:35:35 AM
To: Michael Jason
Subject: Re: Sales Lead: Ad #XXXXXXXXX- BoatTrader.com (LeadId:XXXXXXX)

Bob Evans <---((((ACTUAL RESTAURANT)))) LOL

935 Pennsylvania Ave NW <-- FBI HQ!!!

Washington, DC 20535

On Sep 7, 2017, at 01:18, Michael Jason <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello,

Am Okay with the price and willing to pay you, I will instruct my bank to send you Certified Cashier Check which will clear 3 days in your account, I will fully wait for the Check to clear in your account before pick up, I will instruct my transporter to come for pick up at your location as soon as money is confirm in your account

Send me the following Information:

1: Full names
2, Full address
3; Cell phone number
4, Last Offer

I will wait for your email as soon as possible

Sent: Tuesday, September 5, 2017 5:51:11 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Sales Lead: Ad #XXXXXX- BoatTrader.com (LeadId:XXXXXX)

The condition is very good, the photos were taken about a week ago, it's sitting on a trailer in my garage.

If someone came with $7500 cash, it would be sold.

--------------------------------------------
On Tue, 9/5/17, BoatTrader Sales Leads <[email protected]> wrote:

Subject: Sales Lead: Ad #103136552 - BoatTrader.com (LeadId:4260645)
To: SabrToothSqrl
Date: Tuesday, September 5, 2017, 7:46 AM

LEAD CONTACT INFO
Name: Michael Jason
Email: [email protected]
City*: Manassas
State*: VA
Zip*: 20109
Year: Any
Price: Any
Comments: Hi, What is the present condition and your best
offer?

For yours, the person just mailed a counterfeit cashier's check to the FBI. Classic! This is the scam where it will be for a little too much, you're supposed to pay the guy the excess and give them the item. Two weeks later, the check bounces and your out the item (boat) and the excess cash also.

I don't have the energy to directly interact with them, but I recently signed up for service Jolly Roger Telephone Company. The designer of this system gave a TEDx Talk, which is very entertaining.

Now, instead of dreading those telemarketers and scammers, I relish in the chance to mess with them. Instead of getting mad, make it a game!

Edit: and the worst are the replies to Craigslist where they don't even put effort into it. Listed a hard drive on Cragslist and got two texts from the same phone number.

Am texting you in your COMPUTER PART on craiglist, If it is available email me at, ***@***

They don't spell Craigslist correctly and don't even bother with a decent mail merge on the item itself, just put the category. Ugh. At least they're easy to spot.

Last edited:
They don't have the OPs info. They just got a fake check from some random address.
With a tracking number that leads to this thread on a simple Google search. One step closer.. wonder if TMC tracks IP addresses of posters? ;)

Not saying they're that bored at the FBI.. but unless you're going out of your way to cover your tracks it wouldn't be too difficult for them to track most of us down.

(Not to mention OP forgot to redact boat ad ID in one place. Another step closer...)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Max*
Are you saying the FBI will take all the pain to come after the victim instead of putting the effort to go after the real scammer ?
Not saying they're that bored at the FBI..

They're not going to "take all the pain" to go after anyone. All this really did was waste a little of the mailroom person's time, and maybe an agent who will "file 13" it within a minute.