Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Functional (!) benefits of the yoke?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

As referenced in a separate thread, this is intended to separate issues related to the yoke, specifically sentiment vs. function. I get that some people "love" the yoke (and some people hate it), and nobody should minimize that appreciation (or disdain). However, I'm trying to figure out how the yoke improves on the function of the wheel in a Model S.

Aside from "it looks better" or "it feels better," how does a yoke functionally improve over the wheel in a Model S? With the core function of the yoke/wheel being controlling the car's direction, how does the yoke functionally improve over the wheel?

The most frequently cited examples seem to be "it forces you to put your hands at 9 and 3, which is safer for airbag deployment" and "it gives greater visibility of the main binnacle."

Beyond those (if one allows that those are benefits), what are the other functional benefits of the yoke over the wheel?

Thanks!

Because the Yoke is fairly wide I find it’s a tad more comfortable keeping the nag at bay when on auto pilot.

Also because it’s wide it’s easier and smoother to break out of auto steer.

More clearance under the wheel for getting in out. Not that I had much of problem some folks do and even some round wheeled cars lift the wheel out of the way when you park.

I really like the no stalks. Some buttons could have been placed better. I like that I can keep my hands on the wheel while doing the button actions.

I just want to know how long to get used to the Yoke steering wheel?
4K miles and I still feel I’m getting better at it.

But within just a few days I was absolutely ok with it.

You just Bobble the blinker less. Click it perfectly without looking or hunting for it. Really smooth 3pt turns better than with a regular wheel.

Lots of muscle memory to unlearn.

Switching cars has been no problem either. The pilot seat triggers immediately the correct muscle memory to use.

4K miles and I still feel I’m getting better at it.

But within just a few days I was absolutely ok with it.

You just Bobble the blinker less. Click it perfectly without looking or hunting for it. Really smooth 3pt turns better than with a regular wheel.

Lots of muscle memory to unlearn.

Switching cars has been no problem either. The pilot seat triggers immediately the correct muscle memory to use.
You have to look at the screen to do a 3-pt turn. This whole process was twice as fast for me in my Model 3.

Reactions: Mark II
Better Hand position, safer in case of airbag deployment as your hands are where they are supposed to be instead of risking to break your elbows.
Very comfy for long distance driving.
I have the plaid since May and I can do 3 point turn as fast as I used to with a normal wheel.
I positioned it lower than I would with a wheel and the arm position feel more natural.
Love the look and. The view it gives of the instruments panel.

Enhanced value of TSLA shares due to more accidents and increased replacement part sales!

Tesla's brilliant idea to remove the horn from the center of the wheel to who-knows- whereland, and the inability to use any turn signal when the steering wheel is turned, all add up to more accidents, which means more body shop demand for fenders, bumpers, lights, and trim.

Great job Elon!

Reactions: Mark II and Wol747
Enhanced value of TSLA shares due to more accidents and increased replacement part sales!

Tesla's brilliant idea to remove the horn from the center of the wheel to who-knows- whereland, and the inability to use any turn signal when the steering wheel is turned, all add up to more accidents, which means more body shop demand for fenders, bumpers, lights, and trim.

Great job Elon!

Oh look at that! You found a function of the yoke I didn't think about: weeding out the driver's whose license needs to be taken away.

(Edit)
This thread reminds of something I hear/read that went something like this:

You can't change the world, but you can change yourself.

This is the same as the automotive industry. You don't change the way you do things, you'll get left behind.

Last edited:
Reactions: vcor
1) To give Tesla’s competitors a true advantage.

2) To align with America’s ‘post-truth’ social epidemic in which a) anything can be declared factual without evidence, b) things that are objectively horrid and demonstrably poor are inexplicably revered, c) nothing real or measurable matters, d) idiocy is sacrosanct.

3) To save me money, since I will now never buy another Tesla.

I wrote a complaint to NHTSA about the yoke. Tired of all the "got used to it" comments. Parallel parking is horrible with it. Find the horn without looking down and turning on wipers at same time is absurd.
Have more often than once turned on wrong directional signal when not looking down.

For those that think airplane yokes are good a)they dont spin around and b) they arent wide as the Tesla one is and c) dont have tiny popple buttons. They are functionally different!

Flame me, agree with me, write your complaint or praise to NHTSA. I have electronic UI development experience and this fails miserably.

Last edited: