Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Functionality of air vent controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're saying that if the model 3 had a volume and temperature knob, and a fob key, YOU WOULD REFUSE TO BUY IT?
I call BS.
Tech lovers would still buy teslas even if they omitted some of the bad "revolutionary" tech design choices which drive away less techie customers.
I'm already not buying a Model 3. Are you also skipping it?

You have to admit that your statement is a personal hypothesis, not a fact and not evidence based. You should treat it as such instead of saying that Tesla is harming their mission, or that they're driving away customers. Reasonable statements might begin with "it seems to me" or "I could be wrong, but."

And be careful of the hypocrisy of calling out another member for doing precisely what you're doing.

I'm already not buying a Model 3. Are you also skipping it?

You have to admit that your statement is a personal hypothesis, not a fact and not evidence based. You should treat it as such instead of saying that Tesla is harming their mission, or that they're driving away customers. Reasonable statements might begin with "it seems to me" or "I could be wrong, but."

And be careful of the hypocrisy of calling out another member for doing precisely what you're doing.
Sure MAYBE tesla will be immune to the trends of all other consumer products, and ALL consumers will immediately want the most cutting edge tech they can find, and NO ONE will be driven away by ergonomically inferior or unreliable tech like the phone key and touchscreen controls. There. Now that I've included that totally unrealistic caveat, are you satisfied?

• Funny
Reactions: ohmman
Are you saying there are no consumers who avoid over complicated high tech devices in favor of more traditional controls? You realize plenty of people still buy non-smartphones don't you?
The fact is by focusing on appealing to the bleeding-edge techie people, you drive away some of the non-techies. Whereas if you put a little LESS tech in the cars (more knobs and buttons, normal key fob) the techie types would STILL buy it, PLUS more non-technie people would too = more overall sales = more teslas on the road = less C02 in the air, which is tesla's stated goal.

Every time a buddy sees you fumbling with your malfunctioning phone key, trying to unlock your expensive new tesla, that's one more person who's turned off by the excessive tech and less likely to become a future buyer.

These are all just opinions, but that seems highly highly unlikely. I wish someone would do some legitimate research on this, but for now I only have my personal experience: I have had multiple people look at my car because they were interested in getting a Model 3 and it was features like the screen and phone key that pushed them to the point that they said they are going to get one. I haven’t had a single person say the opposite. Again, I wish I had data on this, but I would be absolutely shocked if these features weren’t helping demand for Model 3s and I have seen nothing that indicates otherwise. Do you own a Model 3? Have you seen a single person “driven away” after they looked at your car? Just curious.

Also, “ergonomically inferior” is purely an opinion. I find that the screen has huge advantages over physical buttons in the same way that iPhone have advantages over old flip phones. But, that’s just me. I know people who still use flip phones and love them.

Reactions: bpjod and ohmman
Also, from personal experience, I can tell you that my phone key has yet to turn off anyone (probably because it always works), while it has had a positive impact on countless people. I truly can’t even count the number of people that have responded to my phone key with some variation of: “Seriously? That’s awesome. I wish my car did that. Man, I need to get a Tesla.” I’ve found that it is the neat-little-tech-features (like the phone key, the AC, Supercharger route mapping, etc.) that really impress people.