Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fund a big percent of your M3 purchase by buying Tesla Stock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MitchJi

Trying to learn kindness, patience & forgiveness
Jun 1, 2015
Marin County, CA
I am sharing information and opinions which I believe is very close to a slam dunk. But please be careful with your hard earned money. Please do your own research and DD before investing. Please don't invest money that you can't afford to lose!

That said, in the past quite a few TMC Members funded their Model S purchases by buying TSLA. I believe that buying shares to fund a Model 3 purchase is extremely safe, almost as safe as shooting fish in a barrel. OTOH between now and whenever Tesla has produced over 100k M3's I think it could be a bumpy ride, which means that even though I believe that shares purchased now, for about $200 will be worth at least $350 when the M3 production has ramped, I would not be shocked if it dips to $150 at some point between now and then. If that would be stressful for you I'd advise you not to do this!

It also means that buying options is a much riskier strategy. Please don't buy options unless you are very knowledgeable! I'll might post on this thread when and why I believe buying options is relatively safe. In the meantime educate yourself as much as possible about investing in general, and about investing in TSLA.

It's important to note that a major reason that this opportunity is so huge are the problems Tesla has had ramping the MX production. This was due to the fact that the MX is an extremely difficult car to build. If they had designed and built a conventional SUV, which would have been about as difficult to build as the MS there is every reason to think that the results would have been similar.
Tesla sold more than 50,000 Model S sedans in 2015, a new annual record
...during the last quarter of 2015 managed to deliver more Model S vehicles than ever before. Over the weekend, the company quietly issued a press release announcing that it delivered 17,400 Model S sedans to customers over the past three months, setting an all-time quarterly record in the process.

To put that figure into perspective, the number of Model S deliveries in Q4 of 2015 represents a 75% increase compared to the same quarter a year-ago. What’s more, Tesla completely smashed its previous delivery record (11,574 set during Q3 2015) by an incredible 50%.

For the entirety of 2015, Tesla delivered 50,580 cars, an impressive figure that just managed to surpass the low-range of Tesla’s delivery projection of 50,000 to 55,000 vehicles. By way of contrast, Tesla’s previous annual delivery record, set in 2014, checked in at 33,157 units. All told, Tesla deliveries year over year increased by 52%, a striking figure given that some analysts have been quick to proclaim that anyone who already wants a Tesla likely already owns one.

Income (profits), driven by car sales, has always been the major determinant of Tesla's share price (SP).

From "Elon Musk" by Ashlee Vance Page 342:
The 500 or so people Musk had turned into car salesmen quickly sold a huge volume of cars. Tesla, which had only a couple of weeks of cash left in the bank, moved enough cars in the span of about fourteen days to end up with a blowout first fiscal quarter. Tesla stunned Wall Street on May 8, 2013, by posting its first-ever profit as a public company--$11 million-- on $562 million in sales. It delivered 4,900 Model S Sedans during the period. This announcement sent Tesla's shares soaring from about $30 a share to $130 per share in July.

Elon's projection for 2018 MS-MS plus M3 production:
I think the most important point here that we want to make is that we're advancing the Model 3 build plan substantially, and just the overall volume plan, with Tesla aiming to get to the half million unit per year run rate in 2018 instead of 2020.

To put the effect of the M3 on the SP in perspective a major issue now for the SP is the ability of Tesla to produce 50k cars in the second half of 2016. When they have the M3 production line running smoothly they will be producing over 40k per month off MS-MS plus M3! Even if that slips by 12-24 month's (chances close to zero IMO), that only delays the SP increase.

In the very near future stationary storage (TE) will start to have a huge impact on profits. At the 2016 shareholders meeting Elon said that (he said this was highly speculative) that he thinks that the revenue from TE will be equal to the revenue from cars, and that it will grow faster. That would be the revenue equivalent to 250k (projected) cars in 2017.

The following estimate for SP, based higher vehicle deliveries, and not considering the impact of Tesla Energy Storage (TE) was posted on Jan 6, 2014. about 2 years before the M3 reveal, and the accelerated ramp plans were announced.
Notes:
1. I added numbers in brackets "projected by Elon", next to DaveT's numbers.
2. If we add the TE revenue equivalent to about 250k cars to Elon's projection of 500k cars we have revenue in 2018 that is greater than the the 700K cars number that DaveT used to calculate his 2019 projected conservative SP of at least $630/share!

3. Even if Tesla sells zero M3's in 2018, between the MS-MX and TE their revenue should be equal to roughly 400k cars, for an SP of about $360!

In other words, if you are saving for an M3 you have a double hedge when buying TSLA. When the M3 ramps the SP will rise, and even if M3 is never produced at all (not going to happen) TE production will cause the SP to rise.
Articles/megaposts by DaveT

2019: The long horizon approach to TSLA investing
The main reason I’m invested in TSLA is because of the long-term potential of Tesla to disrupt the auto industry and lead an electric vehicle revolution. The world auto market is huge and is prime for disruption but the shift to EVs will not happen overnight. That’s why I think it’s crucial that the buy-and-hold investor has a long-term view on Tesla.
<snip>
TSLA as a stock will likely go through great volatility over the next several years. It will waver between periods of exuberance where much distant future value will be sucked into the present stock price and periods of depression where people dwell on major doubts of Tesla’s ability to disrupt the auto industry and be a global leader in the auto market.
<snip>

2019 TSLA stock price
Let’s examine a bit more what TSLA stock price might be in 2019 if they’re able to sell 700k cars. I’ll use rough numbers but you can plug in numbers you feel more comfortable with.
<snip>

I’ve plugged in rough guesses for 2014-2016:
2016 120k [vs 85k-95k Tesla's guidance]
2017 200k [vs 220k-320k projected by Elon]
2018 400K [vs 500k projected by Elon]
2018 700K [vs 750k projected by Elon]
700,000 cars x $50,000 (avg selling price due to 150k cars being Model S/X and GenIII selling mostly with 5-10k in options) = $35 billion 18% gross margin = $6.3 billion.

So, now the question is what multiple will investors give Tesla. If Tesla is growing rapidly, which they will be in order to reach 700k cars in 2019, investors will likely give at least 20x profit. So, $3.15b x 20 = $63 billion market cap divided by 150m shares (rough estimate) = $420/share.

Now this is a very conservative estimate of $420/share if Tesla is able to sell 700k cars in 2019. More likely is that investors will give a higher multiple than 20x since Tesla is still rapidly growing.

I would imagine a 30-40x multiple might be fair and realistic. Let’s use a 30x multiple to be conservative. $3.15 billion profit x 30x p/e = $94.5 billion market cap divided by 150m shares = $630 share price.

So conservatively if Tesla can sell 700k cars in 2019 then the stock price will likely be at least $630/share...

Think Bigger: You can use the Model E money and just buy and hold until TSLA gets to the $1T dollar valuation and then buy a couple Model S's and a Model X for weekends.

Even if Tesla sells zero M3's in 2018, between the MS-MX and TE their revenue should be equal to roughly 400k cars, for an SP of about $360!

What would their P/E ratio be at that point and what comparable are you using to come up with $360 SP?

I would think most Model 3 buyers would have to put too large of a percentage of their investment money in Tesla stock in order to pay for a large chunk of their Model 3.

I would also view an investment in TSLA as more of a long term thing than something to be cashed out in ~2 years.

Because of these things, I would suggest not trying to correlate a new car purchase and an investment in a company's stock.

I would think most Model 3 buyers would have to put too large of a percentage of their investment money in Tesla stock in order to pay for a large chunk of their Model 3.
+1

I think
Fund a big percent of your M3 purchase by buying Tesla Stock
Please do your own research and DD before investing. Please don't invest money that you can't afford to lose!
are a direct contradiction People who can afford to lose that much money already brought a Model S.

Reactions: srini
Two comments:
1. Quite a few people have are setting aside savings for an M3 purchase. TSLA should return way more than a money market fund.

2. I agree with Marc Cuban:
Mark Cuban on Investing: Diversification Is for Idiots
Entrepreneur Mark Cuban sits down with the Journal's Alan Murray and weighs in on the fluctuating market. Cuban is investing in volatility. He believes "buy and hold is a crock of $%#!" and diversification is for idiots. Cuban also addresses how patent law stifles creativity...
CmdrThor said:
I would also view an investment in TSLA as more of a long term thing than something to be cashed out in ~2 years. Because of these things, I would suggest not trying to correlate a new car purchase and an investment in a company's stock.
That's generic advice, If you want to save for an M3 and you believe that TSLA will be close to $200 after the M3 is in production, then don't do it.

Last edited:
i totally agree that Tesla stock is great investment for the next several years for all the reasons that you guys mentioned above. i would not be surprised at all to see this stock double or triple from current levels by 2018 and over the next decade or so this thing could easily be a 10 bagger
i stay super long for a long time

Reactions: everman
I'm trying this to pay for my Model 3. At the current rate, if I'm lucky, I might have enough left to only upgrade Mrs. Toe's battery to the bigger one. On the bright side, all the options I bought will buy us some burgers and fries at the Shake Shack across the street from the Fremont factory when we pick up her car. Yay!

Maybe she will even let me drive it on weekends!

RT

Two comments:
1. Quite a few people have are setting aside savings for an M3 purchase. TSLA should return way more than a money market fund.

It should yes. But those who bought in at $271 probably aren't realizing those returns anytime soon. Many around here talk about TSLA with emotion more than good financial sense. While I think Tesla will be successful in the long run, they have seen many bumps in the road and probably will continue to for a while.

I bought TSLA last year but will be selling shortly at a loss to tax harvest, way before my M3 comes rolling off the line.

Will be selling since I do not believe in the SolarCity buyout. IMO, it will be a significant drag on the car business. I just don't seen the purpose.
Given that Tesla is currently producing about 25k cars per quarter and to get your car before about 2020 Tesla will be producing something like 25k per month why do you believe that your M3 can roll off the line and the stock price not be higher than it is now?

• Disagree
When a legendary short seller like James Chanos is on the other side I would rather stay out.

What you guys don't get is that tesla can be worth $1 trillion dollars while the stock price stays flat. Thats a big difference from Google for instance. They can't grow without investing a lot of capital. They are going to print much more shares.

• Love
I have some TSLA shares which I tell my wife is for the M3, but technically if the time comes to take delivery of the M3 I will probably be hanging on to the stock. I considered dumping a lot more into the stock but I am worried about putting too many of my eggs in one basket. I would gladly miss out an earning opportunity in order to get my bad ass Tesla for 35-45k. The only thing that scares me is that Elon is trying to save the world and produce millions of EV's and not necessarily make money. Making money is just a way to get to his goal of saving the world and possibly the human race.

That said I have a good friend that works for a large auto supplier. He is moving and taking a two year assignment oversees. He sold his house and will live in corporate paid housing for 2 year but is dumping all the profits from the sale of his house into TSLA. Needless to say he is a big believer, and while he has no specific inside information, he has been around Tesla and the industry enough to believe in them.

• Informative
Reactions: everman and EinSV