TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Funky roof & hatch contraption

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MarcG, Apr 21, 2015.

1. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

I meant to post this when I saw it on the streets of San Francisco a couple of weeks ago but somewhat forgot about it until today.

This seemingly customer car (no MFG or DLR plates) had no rear hatch glass, some metal contraption in the trunk, and four posts of some kind where a roof rack would go.

Any ideas on what this could be? Sorry for the poor photo, it was right around sunset and the car was getting away from me at a stop light.

IMG_7885.jpg

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The rear glass appears to have been broken. Is that correct?

3. Leland

Leland Member

Probably pulled into their garage with bikes on the rack and tore off the rest of the rack (mounts are still on the car). Bikes then hit the back window. My buddy did the same thing a few years ago with his Jetta. The insurance company totaled his car....

4. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Hmm not sure it was broken as there was no evidence of chipped glass. It was almost as though the rear hatch was modified to accommodate whatever sat in the truck...

5. daxz

daxz Member

6. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

7. ksdprasad

ksdprasad Member

thats Leilani Munter's Model S.. Check CarbonFreeGirl she is big fan of tesla.. and her tesla is equipped with a big projector on back.

8. JPP

JPP Active Member

...actually that is not Leilani's personal Model S, but a custom 1-off for the project she is working with....

9. green1

green1 Active Member

That's one heck of a car, I'd love to see more information about the car (not just the cause)

10. Cascadian

Cascadian Member

Imagine my surprise when I opened my mailbox to see Leilani looking up at me! I had just yesterday seen the very cool photo of Bonnie and Leilani posted to Twitter, and lo and behold, here's Leilani again! :)

She's on the cover of the current (May/June) issue of Vegan Health and Fitness, and you can see the image here:

http://www.veganhealthandfitnessmag.com/2015/04/may-june-2015/

It's a good article! I'm now officially a huge admirer of this amazing young woman -- on a number of levels, especially her ethics. :)

This is what she says in the article about her part in the film "Racing Extinction":

"...My role involves driving a very special one-of-a-kind James Bond-like version of a Tesla Model S. I can't tell you how honored I am to be a part of this film. Later in 2015 the Discovery Channel will air it in a global event in 220 countries to 2 billion subscribers in one day. Prior to that, it will have a theatrical release in 10 markets in the United States. "

I imagine we can find out more updates at Leilani's website: www.carbonfreegirl.com

It would be fun to arrange a meet-up with other Tesla folks at one of the theaters showing the film, if it's in a city nearby! :)

• Like x 1
  11. chriSharek

chriSharek Member

yeah - I just checked her out too - what a badass chick. Love her!

12. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Now we know why that car was 'getting away from you'.
    --

13. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Well well, look what we have here! I am about to go into the Roxie for the last of the SF Green Film Festival, and although I knew this would be the episode that was shot from the Tesla-mounted projector, I didn't expect the car itself to be here!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

14. Coiled

Coiled Member

Cool setup. Too bad they couldn't tap into the car's battery pack. Those are Vmaxtanks sealed lead acid batteries powering the projector. They add a 150+ pounds to the car for less than 3 kWh of capacity with an inferior cycle life.

15. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Well I have to say the documentary Racing Extinction was very well made and definitely worth seeing! If you get a chance to see it, I highly suggest you don't miss it.

16. James Anders

James Anders Member

Shame she couldn't have used a little trailer or a custom roof rack or something instead of hacking up the car like that.

17. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I want to know more about the car! Not too much info there. Anyone know what that thing is that pops out of the hood? Or what the plate is that goes on the roof in front of the projector, for that matter?

18. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

In the documentary they show another smaller projector popping out of the hood!

And the plate sitting on the roof in front of the rear projector seems to be a replacement for the hatch glass. It has four holes that align with the screws that stick out of the projector mount.

19. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

I was camping around Mendocino, CA two weekends ago and guess what car I saw charging at a local hotel!

And even more coincidence, the next day it was charging in Petaluma, also on its way back to San Francisco no doubt.

Does anyone on here own this car now? If so, please let me know!

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

20. JPP

JPP Active Member

Might be the Racing Extinction car with the inbuilt projection system--Leilani Munter involved.