Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funky software events

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

is there a thread already for software bugs/glitches that users observe? I'm in IT and I'm not really overly bugged by the following issues, but it would nevertheless maybe be interesting to compare who has experienced this or something else:

We took possession of our 'Demelza' a week ago, by the way.

1. On Friday while she was parked at work, the app wouldn't connect to her anymore and tell us about her status, position or anything. I took it to be the often mentioned 'waking up' issue. However, we hadn't seen this happening on the days prior. Once she got home and parked the app started working again.

2. Yesterday, when we returned to her after maybe 90 minutes of shopping, she initially appeared normal, but when we tried to enter something into the Navigation, the cursor misbehaved - it was moving to the LEFT of the just typed character. Just like writing from right to left.
We decided to soft reboot her (the two scrollwheels) and after she came back, Navigation didn't work at all - she showed a crossed out Wireless symbol and the message was something that she can't get maps. Looked like she lost connectivity. After waiting a few minutes without anything happening, we rebooted once more, and this time she appeared to boot back OK, including Navigation.
But, when we reached our next stop, we found the app on our iPhones wouldn't find her. The message was 'Vehicle Connection Error'. We rebooted her again, rebooted the phones, reinstalled the app, nothing appears to help. At this time we are still not able to connect the app to her.
I'll update this email once we have a resolution.

Thanks, Stephan

Judging by the consistent/similar nature of the issues I'd say it is more likely a hardware issue than software, if you still can't connect I'd reach out to Tesla, they can check the connectivity and schedule service on it if needed.

The plot thickens. She now stopped accepting bluetooth as a key. The 4 or so oddly named (some alphanumeric code) bluetooth sources we previously saw on our phones disappeared.
We decide to toggle 'Data Sharing' on/off, just in case. This requires the user name and password of our Tesla account. Guess what? She will not accept the user name/password. So we say screw this, we do a factory reset. Also needs user name/password. And she won't accept our entry.
The user/pass on the phones and on the Tesla site works. So we didn't lose our minds. It seems the car has somehow forgotten or scrambles the user/pass and won't let us log in. Maybe the transmitter hardware is somehow broken or just screwed.
We did several 'normal reboots' (both scrollwheels), one including the brake pedal. 'Power down' doesn't really seem to do much, seeing it jumping back in an instant makes me think it simply powers of the screen.
We'll try to talk to Tesla service tomorrow, haven't heard back from them today.

So far no help from Tesla on this issue. We know their service is stretched to the limit and have some patience still. However, it would maybe be more realistic of them to admit 'sorry we cannot get you an appointment before next week' than emailing back several times that someone from service 'will contact us shortly' and get no further response for days. It's just not polite I'd say, and makes me wonder what we'll do when we have a real serious problem. Let's just hope we won't!

I’ve noticed the same backwards moving cursor issue. Comes and goes. One time it self corrected without a reboot.

Day 7 of this car, so I’ve not explored any permanent fixes yet. But I’d be interested in knowing what Tesla tells you.

OK, here is the end of this story:
We brought the car in for service and they gave us a loaner Model S (but old and worn out, my GF didn't like it much).
Three days later, they emailed us and said we could pick our car up - they said 'they fixed a corrupted file that didn't allow the car to connect to Tesla'.
No more details, but all is back to normal - car is visible and controllable through the app, phones work as key again. We are happy, but not much wiser how this actually happened.