Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funniest demo spin yet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
My wife knows I'll take any excuse for a spin in the Roadster. I'm sure I've taken over 100 people out for a Tesla Grin by now.

So my wife was chatting to one of the young Barristas we've gotten to know at the local Starbucks, as she was ending her shift. Turns out she likes cars - actually took auto mechanics in school - and lives not far away, so my wife offered that I could give her a ride home in my Roadster. She enthusiastically agreed.

As we are heading out of the parking lot, she comments on how smooth the car is. Then she asks, "What's that sound I'm hearing?"

"That's the gearbox."

"Oh. Your wife said you drove down to Toronto last week; how was the trip?"

"Really good, we just had to stop in Ganonoque to charge."

"Charge?"

"Uhm, yeah."

"What do you mean charge?"

"Uh, it's an electric car."

"NO WAY!"

Seemed like a really good time to hit the throttle...

:biggrin::rolleyes::biggrin:

That's pretty funny. It amazes me how the majority of people (even some auto "enthusiasts") think the Roadster is either has an ICE or is a hybrid. Oh well, test-rides are a great opportunity for education. :tongue:

They often think I mean hybrid.

So you have the front and back up for all to see the tech and the question floats across "So, really, there's no gas engine?" :cursing: Where do you think it would fit????? :scared:

Remember there are no dumb questions. In the back yes, the r....d with the dumb question.
- The Mooninities ATHF

Happy days. We just have to keep at it...

That's pretty funny. It amazes me how the majority of people (even some auto "enthusiasts") think the Roadster is either has an ICE or is a hybrid. Oh well, test-rides are a great opportunity for education. :tongue:

No kidding. A while back I overheard out my office window (it actually opens!)...

"Hey look at this, it has Green Vehicle plates. What's that mean?"

"It's a hybrid."

"Ohhhh."

Doh.

So you have the front and back up for all to see the tech and the question floats across "So, really, there's no gas engine?" ... Where do you think it would fit????? ...

Look in the front and back trunks on a Porsche Boxster. There's trunk space with no sign of the ICE (the rear trunk is relatively small, but it's still hard to believe there is a pretty large ICE under and in front of that trunk and behind the passenger area).

I wouldn't want to turn the "funniest demo spin yet" thread into some kind of contest, but I just gave a very interesting test drive.

There was an event in Seattle last night, and folks spilled out of the venue onto the sidewalk where my very orange roadster was parked. One young lady in particular was obviously smitten. I actually offered to let her drive it around the block (with me in the passenger seat, of course), but she insisted on merely riding as a passenger. While we toured the city, she pointed out several twisty roads and we spent quite a while on the drive. It turns out that she races bikes on the local tracks, so she's quite familiar with acceleration and hard cornering.

What really made this "demo spin" unique for me was that she giggled uncontrollably every time I floored the accelerator. I have to say that's the most unique reaction I've gotten yet to this roller coaster emulating street car.

Giggling is rare but always priceless.

My wife enjoys telling about the time when I gave a first ride to one of her friends. On hard acceleration her friend's dress flew up over her head.
My eyes were of course was focused in the forward direction. :)