Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funniest Tesla Question Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He is not a bad person and neither is she. The action of bantering back and forth as described is muddy behavior. I get his reaction and it's fustrating. I've had my car keyed and believe this impatience and condescending attitude doesn't help to mitigate the hate. Nevertheless she is his Aunt and someone who helps manage his business place on a daily basis. Wasn't there a better way to handle her criticism? Isn't this matter between them, why does he allow his coworkers to continue this facet of bullying as bystanders. She "deserves" this because she is a Tesla hater? That is the fundamental principal on bullying. When one side goes low, the other thinks it’s a green light to go lower. It’s a continued discord.Two ripoffs don't make the situation right. Justified retribution, does that dismiss the poor behavior?

Nothing about this is bullying from the part of the OP or the crowd which made Auntie upset, and how quickly we have forgotten than Auntie's passive-aggressive bullying is what kicked everything off. Auntie dished it out and couldn't take light ridicule. Ridicule is one of many corrective reactions from social primate in-groups. If the upset party were male, would you be so concerned about so-called bullying? Probably not. In male in-groups, this is a Tuesday.

Also, nobody talked about anyone 'deserving' anything. We're observing what happened per the OP's recounting of the story and weighing-in on what happened. Ridicule is one of many non-violent corrective measures in social groups, because it works to varying degrees. This shouldn't be the first reaction, but it's part of the human experience. Is that not why people ridicule certain political figures who propose asinine legislation? Is that not why we ridicule bad ideas or 'dumb' questions?

Light ridicule goes by many names, and one of the reasons why it's funny is because it's the release of tension. It's best in these situations to just own the mistake and let it go, which is how I think Auntie could have handled this better. Then, stop the harassment of the OP. Beating 'bullies' at their own game does work, and humans have been doing it for millions of years.

There is such a thing as being 'too soft'—it's not just rainbows and unicorns all the way down. The soft approach with a bully is called 'being a victim'. There is a time to be kind, but that's after the bully has learned his/her lesson. There's a balance here. I believe we should err toward kindness where we can, but bullies of any kind (even passive-aggressive Aunties) will get their just deserts.

Last edited:
Reactions: toolman335
Yesterday, when a signal turned green, the white car next to me floored it. I hadn't noticed it while waiting. "Oh, you wanna play?" Tessie was in Ludicrous Speed Mode. I stomped on it, caught him, then backed off. Afterward, he stayed several car lengths behind. I assume his dumb Tesla question was: "Can you out-sprint me?" The reply was: Scratch one Hemi Challenger.

I am retired now, but when I had my first electric drive car (Prius) I would take friends out for drives and ensure that I got it to run on electric only. They would always ask if it was good on hills.....I described those mile long trains and told them "Do you know what moves those massive trains? Electric motors with generators running on diesel. That usually got them to understand about the torque and power of Electric drive cars. Now its easier to tell folks we know since Tesla has done such a great job of becoming the best pioneer in EVs for the public.

Sorry. I am new to the forum so my first attempt to post didn’t work.
I have been driving a Prius since 2009. Just ordered my Tesla and am waiting for it to be delivered.
I didn’t buy the Tesla for gas savings —I was filling up my car once or twice a month at an average cost of about $25 - $28 per purchase.
I did it for the safety features, for the environment and because it is a cool, cool car to drive.
As a NJ resident, I benefit from the $5000 refund our governor put in place. When I thanked the Governor on Facebook for the program, some guy replied to my post “ You are dumb. Really, really dumb.”
No question, no explanation, just that statement.
Fascinating reaction. Reading this thread is preparing me for more of the same.

When I thanked the Governor on Facebook for the program, some guy replied to my post “ You are dumb. Really, really dumb.” No question, no explanation, just that statement. Fascinating reaction. Reading this thread is preparing me for more of the same.
Somebody's dumb all right, but it ain't you.

Nothing about this is bullying from the part of the OP or the crowd which made Auntie upset, and how quickly we have forgotten than Auntie's passive-aggressive bullying is what kicked everything off. Auntie dished it out and couldn't take light ridicule. Ridicule is one of many corrective reactions from social primate in-groups. If the upset party were male, would you be so concerned about so-called bullying? Probably not. In male in-groups, this is a Tuesday.

Also, nobody talked about anyone 'deserving' anything. We're observing what happened per the OP's recounting of the story and weighing-in on what happened. Ridicule is one of many non-violent corrective measures in social groups, because it works to varying degrees. This shouldn't be the first reaction, but it's part of the human experience. Is that not why people ridicule certain political figures who propose asinine legislation? Is that not why we ridicule bad ideas or 'dumb' questions?

Light ridicule goes by many names, and one of the reasons why it's funny is because it's the release of tension. It's best in these situations to just own the mistake and let it go, which is how I think Auntie could have handled this better. Then, stop the harassment of the OP. Beating 'bullies' at their own game does work, and humans have been doing it for millions of years.

There is such a thing as being 'too soft'—it's not just rainbows and unicorns all the way down. The soft approach with a bully is called 'being a victim'. There is a time to be kind, but that's after the bully has learned his/her lesson. There's a balance here. I believe we should err toward kindness where we can, but bullies of any kind (even passive-aggressive Aunties) will get their just deserts.

Oh brother. My thoughts were not focused on specific genders. There is wisdom in what you're saying but it doesn't change the fact that in this situation we are in actuality considering a woman according to your argument. Does that change your perspective? You can justify or "soften" it all you want, but what was the intent. To each his own

Oh brother. My thoughts were not focused on specific genders. There is wisdom in what you're saying but it doesn't change the fact that in this situation we are in actuality considering a woman according to your argument. Does that change your perspective? You can justify or "soften" it all you want, but what was the intent. To each his own

The reason I bought that up was so you or anyone feeling sad for the Auntie could interrogate their response. Would you have felt the same had the aggrieved party been a male? I'm guessing not.

What I see in this thread is that some think it's okay for a woman to pester and passively-aggressively come after a man for his choice of car, but the minute the crowd (not the OP) turns against the female, suddenly the OP (and anyone on this forum perceived to side with the crowd) are to blame. This is not justice, and it is not fairness of any standard I recognize or aspire to. I think it's a clear double standard—treating the Auntie as if she should be exempt from accountability for her own behavior. I believe in equality for all people under the law, and accountability should be applied equally too.

Banter goes both ways. It is not suddenly 'bullying' because someone decided to be offended after receiving light ridicule in response to their pestering.

This is but an academic exercise to me. No harm or personal insult intended.

Last edited:
Well it is interesting the electric car bashing in Germany.
One guy told me that its not a car if you do not fill it up,
he is waiting on an H2 car.
He continues that he will not be limited by a car that only does 80mph.
I cannot wait an hour to charge the darn car.
I cannot be bothered by charging it every day.
The batteries will just fill the landfill and that's not good.
I normally jump in but I was speechless.

The reason I bought that up was so you or anyone feeling sad for the Auntie could interrogate their response. Would you have felt the same had the aggrieved party been a male? I'm guessing not.

What I see in this thread is that some think it's okay for a woman to pester and passively-aggressively come after a man for his choice of car, but the minute the crowd (not the OP) turns against the female, suddenly the OP (and anyone on this forum perceived to side with the crowd) are to blame. This is not justice, and it is not fairness of any standard I recognize or aspire to. I think it's a clear double standard—treating the Auntie as if she should be exempt from accountability for her own behavior. I believe in equality for all people under the law, and accountability should be applied equally too.

Banter goes both ways. It is not suddenly 'bullying' because someone decided to be offended after receiving light ridicule in response to their pestering.

This is but an academic exercise to me. No harm or personal insult intended.

You are guessing wrong. I would have absolutely felt the same if it was a male, that's what I've been trying to convey.

Neither of us described an extreme side. If you think we did, you had better look within.
Are you kidding me?!? That's EXACTLY what you did. When one says "Ultra XXX wing XXX", that's exactly what it means. You may not have intended to say that, but that's what you did.
I am what some folks label as "Ultra Right Wing" Conservative.

I am what some folks label as "Ultra Left Wing" Liberal.

The transmission question is valid, though. We do have transmissions, BTW, so don't get too uppity. I believe it's a 9:1 reduction ratio, which is why the torque is so extreme. Porsche actually has a 2 speed tranny in theirs, I believe.

Correct, it does have a transmission. It is built in to the "drive unit", so it's not commonly referred to as a separate component.

Depends on what you mean by a "transmission". In the strictest sense, yes, the Telsa has gears. They transmit torque from the motor shaft to the drive axles.

But in the context of a car, when most people say "transmission", they're talking about a drivetrain device that shifts gears, either automatically or manually. In this more common interpretation, the Tesla doesn't have a transmission because it doesn't shift. The fixed gears in the drive unit function more like a differential in that they only apply a single reduction ratio with no components to change that ratio.

Because of this, when I'm asked about the transmission, I just say it doesn't have one since there's no shifting.

Are you kidding me?!? That's EXACTLY what you did. When one says "Ultra XXX wing XXX", that's exactly what it means. You may not have intended to say that, but that's what you did.

No, I'm dead serious.

What we did was to acknowledge how "some people" label and categorize in their attempt to divide people. Then we both proceeded to describe moderate views that had more in common with each other than differences. Because we are all people.

"I am what some folks label as "Ultra Right Wing" Conservative."

"I am what some folks label as "Ultra Left Wing" Liberal."

These are identities applied by others, not us. Let's avoid fuzzy thinking and interpret it logically exactly as stated.