Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funniest Tesla Question Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The one I've gotten a few times is "how much will it cost to replace the battery", to which I say "it's rated to last 300-500,000 miles, so I suppose I'll just get a new car".

When people ask how much my electrical bill went up I say it costs about 1/4 of the cost of gas to charge at home, and about 1/2 on the road. That generally leads into how you can do road trips, superchargers, free destination chargers, how easy it is to charge at home and more.

A friend asked me how many miles per gallon it got and my reply was "all of them". I wouldn't be that snarky to a stranger, but he deserved it after we had had the discussion of it being electric.

A coworker has asked me a few times if I've run out of charge and been stranded yet. I always reply by asking if he has run out of gas in his truck. He doesn't seem to get the correlation.

If someone comments about how expensive it is I say that the total cost to own it over 10 years is similar to a Camry or Accord.

And I generally end by saying that I'll never buy a gas car again. That's usually a pretty powerful endorsement.

You are guessing wrong. I would have absolutely felt the same if it was a male, that's what I've been trying to convey.

First, the person who started it carries the most blame and should be held to account. In this case, that's the Auntie. You seem unwilling to apply any accountability to the Aunt for some reason (I think it's because of her sex despite your assurances). Would you feel differently had she not cried, and instead laughed it off? Had she done that, none of this would even be debating this. But, the Auntie did not do that, and that response (the crybully behavior) is just a character flaw we've discussed before. Auntie can dish it out but she can't take it. People like this do exist, and they should not get special dispensation because of the waterworks. Sometimes the tears are just post hoc emotional manipulation.

Second, the crowd (not the OP) is what made Auntie cry, but would this have made a male cry in similar fashion? Likely not. I think you're moved by the tears and have forgotten what started the conflict in the first place (Auntie's pestering and passive-aggressive harassment). Either that, or you hold an unconscious double-standard or have some other reason for being unable or unwilling to recognize the Aunt as the instigator that the OP clearly described.

Either way, we don't agree. That much we can agree on, right?

Last edited:
The transmission question is valid, though. We do have transmissions, BTW, so don't get too uppity. I believe it's a 9:1 reduction ratio, which is why the torque is so extreme. Porsche actually has a 2 speed tranny in theirs, I believe.

I would submit that Teslas do not have transmissions. Transmissions are meant to change gears so ICE engines can create torque at low speeds.
Teslas have a reduction gear to reduce RPM, but so does every ICE; located in the differential for front-engine RWD cars, or as a separate section of the transaxle of cars with both engine and drive wheels at front or back.

First, the person who started it carries the most blame and should be held to account. In this case, that's the Auntie. You seem unwilling to apply any accountability to the Aunt for some reason (I think it's because of her sex despite your assurances). Would you feel differently had she not cried, and instead laughed it off? Had she done that, none of this would even be debating this. But, the Auntie did not do that, and that response (the crybully behavior) is just a character flaw we've discussed before. Auntie can dish it out but she can't take it. People like this do exist, and they should not get special dispensation because of the waterworks. Sometimes the tears are just post hoc emotional manipulation.

Second, the crowd (not the OP) is what made Auntie cry, but would this have made a male cry in similar fashion? Likely not. I think you're moved by the tears and have forgotten what started the conflict in the first place (Auntie's pestering and passive-aggressive harassment). Either that, or you hold an unconscious double-standard or have some other reason for being unable or unwilling to recognize the Aunt as the instigator that the OP clearly described.

Yes we can agree that we don't agree. Fair enough. First I think both should be held accountable. You are making a lot of assumptions. We can't ask her what their engagements have been like in the past but obviously both are reactive as in which the OP had implied that he was about the come back with a sarcastic remark which indicates to me perhaps there has been ongoing conflicts from both sides. If she has laughed it off then there is not an issue but she didn't. She could of well asked that question to be sarcastic to him but it could of been a legit question. But the OP just assumed based on crying wolf. Since you brought it up, I'm compelled to contemplate, I'm lmost leaning towards some unconscious sexism from your part. Just because men laughs it off or don't cry doesn't mean that they couldn't be affected in the same manner. Want to make it clear it has nothing to do with this post but as a general comment, that the rate of suicide is 3.5 times higher in men than woman and PTSD is as prevalent.

Let's hear it from the auntie. Auntie up lol

Not a dumb question, but considering where I was, I thought it was a dumb comment. I took Ginger in to Les Schwab to get a flat tire fixed, and had them rotate all 4 while they were at it. Afterwards, the tech tells me "You still have 10mm on your brake pads so you probably don't need a brake job." LOL, I have only 15K miles and it's a Tesla (braking generally not required). When will these non-Tesla tire shops start educating their techs? Before you comment, realize I live in the Bay area, where about 1 out of 50 cars is now a Tesla.

Actually, you should probably appreciate that they looked because it's a Tesla. With the infrequent usage they can be easily neglected and lead to issues including seizing up. On 2/4 cars I've owned I've had calipers seize (what does this say about me? oh no :D) and rip through the pads and a rotor in a relatively short amount of time (a week or two). The first was because it was a 20 year old rusted out Mazda. The second was a complete fluke on a rather new vehicle (under two years at the time I believe), and I only noticed while swapping tires. It was however too late for my rotor and it needed to be replaced. I'm gentle on brakes too: the car had the original front pads still after 160,000km still above 50% when I sold it.

EDIT: I didn't notice metal-metal contact because that didn't happen. I essentially cooked the rotor multiple times and it split from the thermal cycling. The pads weren't quite fully worn either, but in poor condition.

These are actually really good questions for a 8/9 year old. it shows they are making logical connections and demonstrating reasoning. They just need more foundation/facts/education...

In fact, the first one: he is recollecting something he heard 'years ago' (which would make him less than 7 years old), and not really a simple or common concept (hybrid cars and how regen works) and is able to connect it to this current scenario. And he came up with a solution to a problem he identified... and it makes complete sense. That is pretty impressive.

Hah. Reminds me of when I asked a teacher when I was maybe 11 or so why you can't keep a lightbulb on by powering it with a solar panel that's also attached to the bulb. Although I was already 11, it wasn't impressive that I was asking at that point :p

• Informative
Reactions: LowBattery
Yes we can agree that we don't agree. Fair enough. First I think both should be held accountable. You are making a lot of assumptions. We can't ask her what their engagements have been like in the past but obviously both are reactive as in which the OP had implied that he was about the come back with a sarcastic remark which indicates to me perhaps there has been ongoing conflicts from both sides. If she has laughed it off then there is not an issue but she didn't. She could of well asked that question to be sarcastic to him but it could of been a legit question. But the OP just assumed based on crying wolf. Since you brought it up, I'm compelled to contemplate, I'm lmost leaning towards some unconscious sexism from your part. Just because men laughs it off or don't cry doesn't mean that they couldn't be affected in the same manner. Want to make it clear it has nothing to do with this post but as a general comment, that the rate of suicide is 3.5 times higher in men than woman and PTSD is as prevalent.

Can we avoid calling each other sexist? I'm just insisting that we hold each, man and woman, to the same standard. That is what would be fair, yes? If we break from that, there should be a good reason for it or we should be honest about why we're implementing something other than a common standard.

Your view of the situation seems affected by the Auntie's tears, where I don't see her as more of a 'victim' because she cried. Men don't cry as often as women, so are they less often a victim of bullying or teasing? No, it's just that there are neurotypes we can commonly associate with sex. Women are going to cry more often than men in these situations, but I prefer that we simply stick to the merits of the argument.

Auntie dished it out but couldn't take it. You have a different view. Reality cannot be sexist, and men and women are different in some ways with overlap and exceptions. Nothing wrong with that.

But yes, we can agree to disagree and I'd love to hear the Auntie's side of it.

Reactions: toolman335
Yes I had a guy in a Lowe's parking lot ask if it was a Tesla? I said yes. He followed with-What kind of mileage do you get? He was serious. He repeated angrily, "how many miles per gallon do you get?" I said none and walked away. He was getting angrier and angrier. And I was tired of dealing with him!!

I doubt it was malice. People clearly want a way to compare the "fuel" consumption to other cars, so I just answer with 130mpge.

I'm sure that all of you, like me, have received a laundry list of dumb questions about your car.
My typical list is:
Can you drive it in the snow? "It's a 4,000 lb AWD vehicle. What do you think?"
Did you know it can easily catch on fire?
What happens if the starter fails?
What happens if you run out of power?

Today I had a new award winner that takes the cake for me.
I buy 6 pizzas for my guys at work every Thursday. My Aunt works in the office for me. Usually she goes to pick up the pizza but since it was snowing I figured I'd go get it.
Of course she started off with "Oh you can drive it in the snow?'"
When I basically laughed at her about that question she responded with:
"Do Teslas have room in the cabin or the trunk for 6 pizzas?"

I was so stunned by her question that I couldn't come up with a sarcastic response for ten seconds. In the meantime everyone in the office laughed her out of the room. She walked out in tears but I think it was deserved.

Some of you must have some doozies. Please share!
Ok you think these are stupid, well when I first started reading about these cars I called the dealer to ask whether they are also available in automatic? Ok so it was ridiculous but just goes to show how little we know about these cars before getting our own.
At least I am now proud to be ahead of the evolutionary scale being among the first group of people to ditch gasoline engines and doing more than my fair share to protect our fragile environment

I can +1 to this. I have found some people think that no matter what the car is or how it is propelled you must have to put gasoline in it somewhere. I suppose they think all cars must be some type of hybrid.

Up until last year our local Chevy dealer had a Chevy Volt (NOT A BOLT) driving around with a big wrap indication “100 percent electric’.

Just sayin.