Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funniest Tesla Question Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny thing I've noticed is that people's kids tend to know more about the Tesla than the parents do. I've had so many 8 year olds tell me features about the car. "Did you know you can make it fart?", "Did you know it can do (insert random fact here)?". And their parents are looking at them as if they don't know what they are talking about but I'm just nodding at everything the kid is saying.

Dumbest question was the spouse of one of my wife's co-workers (who I've never met prior to that day) asked if she could test drive my car. She didn't understand why I wouldn't let her because she's "a really great driver".

I let anyone who wants to drive my Model 3 Performance take a test drive - it generally blows their mind.

In fact, I encourage them to test drive it. It's insured. Sure, it would still be a bummer if they crashed it, but mot accidents are caused by carelessness and inattentiveness, and I find people who test drive my car are the opposite of inattentive. Plus, the looks on their faces when I encourage them to floor it are generally priceless.

I let anyone who wants to drive my Model 3 Performance take a test drive - it generally blows their mind.

In fact, I encourage them to test drive it. It's insured. Sure, it would still be a bummer if they crashed it, but mot accidents are caused by carelessness and inattentiveness, and I find people who test drive my car are the opposite of inattentive. Plus, the looks on their faces when I encourage them to floor it are generally priceless.
I let some co-workers test drive Ginger immediately after taking delivery. One of them fancied his driving skills imagining himself to be a nascar driver (maybe he was, I don't know) and proceeded to drive Ginger as if he was in a race, racing around corners twice as fast as I've ever driven her. It got awkward fast. Never again.

As for stupid things people have said, the last newb I took for a spin was not impressed that the car could drive itself (FSD), and was only interested in how fast it could go. Thrilling, yes, but groundbreaking? FSD FTW!

Reactions: markc2
Q: What? It runs on battery only?
A: Yes.

When I first got my P85+ I was at a highway rest stop. This older gentleman was asking me good questions overall, but he asked me about 5 times that same question but differently:

So it runs on battery? Yes
So there's no fuel? No
No fuel tank? No
No engine? No
You just charge up the battery and that's it? Yes
So really, there's no fuel or engine? No.

It was like I was an alien with some new technology he just couldn't understand. He wasn't dumb, it was just breaking his reality about automobiles.

I used to as well …. Until I had someone cut a corner too close and curb 2 of my wheels. He just laughed it off with an “oops!”

Yeah, no more test drives now. I was pretty PO’d.

I can top that. Just about a mile from my house, there was a business owner recently who had just taken delivery on his Plaid. He was so excited to show of off to his employees, he took 3 of them on lunch break, and had them take turns. A young employee promptly drove completely through a house, killing the owner, who was in the back center seat. Obviously this was about as freak an accident as it gets for him, as a beam from the house went straight through the windshield. A lady in the house was killed also, along with her dog.

Reactions: SlimJim
Thanks for that DD. :D

1655900275195.png

When I first got my P85+ I was at a highway rest stop. This older gentleman was asking me good questions overall, but he asked me about 5 times that same question but differently:

So it runs on battery? Yes
So there's no fuel? No
No fuel tank? No
No engine? No
You just charge up the battery and that's it? Yes
So really, there's no fuel or engine? No.

It was like I was an alien with some new technology he just couldn't understand. He wasn't dumb, it was just breaking his reality about automobiles.

Wow, yeah, I bet being an early adopter, you've probably heard so much - before people knew what a Tesla was, before most people knew about battery power vehicles - though I've had some of the same conversation (as above) with folks around here in the last year ...

"What happens when it runs out of power?"

"Huh, I never asked, I guess you just abandon it, and buy another one."

I still get asked "Don't they all cost hundreds of thousands of dollars?" "No, the Model 3 was the one that was planned to be affordable by mere mortals like myself." Of course, this was first asked back when a $35K Model 3 was still theoretically available for purchase.

Reactions: markc2
I like this post that flipped things on their heads:

I am thinking of replacing my electric car with a petrol car and have some questions.
1. I have heard that petrol cars can not refuel at home while you sleep? How often do you have to refill elsewhere? Is this several times a year? Will there be a solution for refueling at home?
2. Which parts will I need service on and how often? The car salesman mentioned a box with gears in it. What is this and will I receive a warning with an indicator when I need to change gear?
3. Can I accelerate and brake with one pedal as I do today with my electric car?
4. Do I get fuel back when I slow down or drive downhill? I assume so, but need to ask to be sure.
5. The car I test drove seemed to have a delay from the time I pressed the accelerator pedal until it began to accelerate. Is that normal in petrol cars?
5. We currently pay about $0.025 per mile to drive our electric car. I have heard that petrol can cost up to 20 times as much so I reckon we will lose some money in the beginning. We drive about 20,000 miles a year. Let's hope more people will start using petrol so prices go down.
6. Is it true that petrol is flammable? Should I empty the tank and store the petrol somewhere else while the car is in the garage?
7. Is there an automatic system to prevent gasoline from catching fire or exploding in an accident. What does this cost?
8. I understand that the main ingredient in petrol is oil. Is it true that the extraction and refining of oil causes environmental problems as well as conflicts and major wars that over the last 100 years have cost millions of lives? Is there a solution to these problems?

Someone asked me if the roof was solar on my 3. When I said no they said it would be cool if it was so you never had to charge it all.

I told him a solar roof could charge my cell phone, but prolly would take a month to charge the car lol.