Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funny FSD story

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a funny FSD story.

I was driving on FSD using my Tesla Model X and I noticed a police officer following me. I actually just let FSD go the exact speed limit so I did not worry about it. I suddenly noticed that he was turning when I turned and finally he pulls me over. I took over manually fast so I do not know how FSD would have handled it (my mistake). I immidately saved my Tesla-cam video for evidence purposes.

So he asks for the usual and I provide it. I then ask what was the issue because I know I was not speeding. He said that I was pulled over because I was driving "too good". He says when someone is driving that exact on the speed limit they are usually trying to hide something. I then explained that I was using Tesla's FSD and that is why I was so exact. He did not know what that was so I explained. He then said that it was not possible. So I said I could show him if he liked. He left his car with the police lights on on the side of the road and got in to my car. We then ran FSD around the block and officer was shocked.

As he returned to his car he told me that he will not pull over Tesla's that are driving perfectly anymore and then laughed.

Crazy but funny.
Screenshot (203).png

You mean like a "broken" taillight? 🤣
I was told by a cop that if they want to pull you over, they will. Follow long enough, and you'll do something they can pull you over for. If not, there's always "left of center", which is pretty much impossible to dispute (actually admitted to me by said officer). "Dim license plate light" is another good one.
I've been pulled over five times in my life, guilty each time so I never argued the point. I've only been cited once. Maybe I should have paused eating during that stop, but who wants to eat cold White Castle onion chips?

It's a funny story, but that's not OK to be pulled over for "driving too good". "Driving too good" cannot be probable cause for a traffic stop, otherwise they could pull you over for pretty much no reason at all.
When I was a teenager, I got pulled over by a cop who complemented me on being a great driver, but said he had to pull me over for my crappy Walmart tinting film (barely darker than no film). While he was talking to me, several sports cars drove by with limo tinting. 🤦

• Funny
Reactions: kingkong5
It's a funny story, but that's not OK to be pulled over for "driving too good". "Driving too good" cannot be probable cause for a traffic stop, otherwise they could pull you over for pretty much no reason at all.
You are correct but you know we live in the real world. I find being nice with the Police is far better for me. I have gotten out of so many tickets simply by being respectful and nice.

P.S. It does not cost you anything but yet you may have benefits.

Couldn’t agree more. Being pulled over without probable cause is a serious No-no that should never be tolerated. This cop has very poor knowledge of your constitutional rights and his duty as a law enforcement officer, as evidenced by the fact that he just came right out and told you your constitutional rights had been violated. He needs to be reported because he may be doing this a lot! If individual Citizens don’t stand up for their rights, they will eventually be forfeit.

I was told by a cop that if they want to pull you over, they will. Follow long enough, and you'll do something they can pull you over for. If not, there's always "left of center", which is pretty much impossible to dispute (actually admitted to me by said officer). "Dim license plate light" is another good one.
I've been pulled over five times in my life, guilty each time so I never argued the point. I've only been cited once. Maybe I should have paused eating during that stop, but who wants to eat cold White Castle onion chips?

Definitely true. I got pulled over once for an air freshener hanging from the rear view mirror... I don't do that anymore.

They can say they have an APB out for a car with your description. They really can pull you over for anything.

The fact that this officer pulled the OP over for "driving too good" is a bit appalling to me. I appreciate our police officers and think the "defund the police" protestors are nuts... but this is exactly why people feel this way.

Almost all of my interactions with police in my life have been negative and traffic related. The few times I've called them and needed assistance, they show up hours later and don't do anything (or at most take a report).

This officer clearly thinks he's above the law.

I posted here noting the main reason one could get stopped … which offended the politics of a moderator enough to ban me for a day.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I have found that police are sometimes curious and fascinated by Teslas.

I had a cop pull up next to me at a supercharger and he struck up a long conversation about the car and what it was like to go to EV from ICE. Genuinely interested and he wasn’t being an ass. My wife and I were on a road trip down the east coast and he was fun to talk to, although he was so talkative it was hard to break away and get on the road again.

I’m generally pretty pro cop and understanding, but putting the lights on somebody who is driving on cruise control/fsd at the speed limit and for no other reason is not a cool move. Cars have had cruise control for decades and even speeders will drop it to the speed limit when they notice police.

Yep exactly, and no cop would get in a car with a stranger to drive them around to "prove" they are not hiding something.

I call BS.

I’m generally pretty pro cop and understanding, but putting the lights on somebody who is driving on cruise control/fsd at the speed limit and for no other reason is not a cool move.
Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

That is why it is important to support institutions when they are being good and criticize them when they are being bad - goes for police, judges, politician, teachers, businesses, unions, Elon Musk, Tesla etc etc.

Reactions: Brou and GSP
I am insulted by your "BS' comment. I asked the officer if you wanted to get in my car and see. He did not ask or force himself in anyway. The officer was respectful and professional. I do think curiosity played a role but Police officers are human beings not constitutional robots?

P.S. I would never file a complaint against this officer. The way I see it; I eductated a new person on Tesla.

I have found that police are sometimes curious and fascinated by Teslas.

I had a cop pull up next to me at a supercharger and he struck up a long conversation about the car and what it was like to go to EV from ICE. Genuinely interested and he wasn’t being an ass. My wife and I were on a road trip down the east coast and he was fun to talk to, although he was so talkative it was hard to break away and get on the road again.

I’m generally pretty pro cop and understanding, but putting the lights on somebody who is driving on cruise control/fsd at the speed limit and for no other reason is not a cool move. Cars have had cruise control for decades and even speeders will drop it to the speed limit when they notice police.
I was pulled over for no front license plate. The very young officer gave a verbal warning. After that, he said something like "Now that that's done, can I ask you... how many miles do you really get?" We talked for probably 10 minutes about Teslas and EVs. I offered a test drive and even a referral, but he had to decline.
It was a legit stop, though, since Texas requires a front plate.