Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funny Model S review (and some new tidbits)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009
Wasn't sure where to put this as it touches on a few things, so I made a new thread (dp, please merge if you think of a better thread for this):

High-Speed Test Drive of Tesla Model S : Greentech Media

I arrived, sporting my flame-retardant one-piece test suit and helmet, only to be informed by the Tesla public relations person that I was not going to actually drive the vehicle. Instead, a Tesla driver was going to chauffeur me around Palo Alto for a few minutes. Elon Musk, Tesla CEO, and a number of executives and board members were in attendance at this morning's event.

This was unacceptable. I don't get up this early, wear pants, and miss my anger-management class to be ferried around Palo Alto by public relations people.

So while Musk was pointing out the roominess of the front cargo area, I caught him off-guard and coaxed his surprisingly large and wiry frame into the "frunk." It closed cleanly and the seal felt airtight. Fit and finish, even on the beta, seemed top-shelf.

I laughed at this, but we all already knew the frunk was spacious due to the stunt they pulled at the Factory event.

The car is plush, elegant, and starts with a push-button.

Interesting, previously it was stated the car started when your seatbealt was fastened. Any ideas where (on the dash?) the push-button will be?

Upon entering the cabin, the car had paired with my mobile phone and displayed my settings on the screen.

He makes it seem like this happened automatically, but I'm fairly sure there needs to be some pincode exchanging going on. Would be interested to see what settings are shown, and if that includes a "priority" feature as discussed elsewhere.

As befits an electric vehicle, the car was amazingly quiet, except for the muted screams and banging emanating from the front storage area. Tesla has worked hard to minimize NVH (that's noise, vibration and harshness).

The brake-test also seemed to quiet the noise, except for the occasional moan from Musk in the frunk.

Poor Elon :tongue:

There were one or two instances where, at 90 mph, the car lost its grip on gravel-covered back roads, but a different set of tires, more attuned to my driving style, would change that.

90MPH on gravel backroads?

The glorious Ninth by Ludwig van was blasting on the sound system when the music went silent as the phone rang.

It was Elon. Calling from the frunk.

Musk used some truly foul language that I will not print here. I ended the call. The music resumed.

The CEO then texted me, with the text appearing on the beautiful in-dash screen.

I know there are some concerned with the amount of distraction in the 17" and dash screens, but that's pretty cool!

As he was in no position to negotiate, I suggested that the next time he designs a car, he should include an inside-the-frunk release mechanism.

Again, not sure if this is facetious, but I know some did ask if the Frunk had a release mechanism. If it doesn't though, they must have rigged something for the October event.

not sure if this is facetious
From the article:
This is not entirely a true story.
I'm pretty sure he just had a ride along. Page Mill is nice road, though. It's where I go to drive for fun.

I'm surprised the author didn't mention stopping to pick up his droogs while listening to the Ninth by Ludwig van.
i003444.jpg