TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Funny sighting at Hawthorne supercharger today

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by FredTMC, Feb 6, 2014.

1. FredTMC

FredTMC Model S VIN #4925

Friend of mine saw this woman in a Leaf pull into a supercharger stall today.

You'd think that any Leaf owner would know that the SCs are "tesla only". So, maybe she was driving a company car... I hope she got to a charge station okay, I'm sure Tesla or Spacex would've let her use a 240 outlet on property if she was really low on charge.

Attached Files:

2. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

I feel so bad for the driver. Obviously didn't know any better.

3. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

I hope so, because I've heard of plenty of stories where Nissan dealerships help out Model S owners. That is pretty hilarious, though!

4. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

LOL! That's funny, good photo too.

5. MikeL

MikeL some guy

My first guess is that her Nav directed her there (& it's not her car). One touch on the little:wink:screen brings up all the known EV chargers within the car's current range. But maybe NOT just the ones that WORK with the car!

6. Tacket

Tacket Member

Oh no you didn't gurl!!

7. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

LOL

that does not help the female driver stereotype in any way... she just set it back a couple more thousand years i29d8p.png

8. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Oh wow. Why do you have to go to the gender thing? We have all sorts of accidents and fender benders that are caused by men, and gender isn't brought up. But one woman and you go straight to it.

-smh-

9. callmesam

callmesam Member

There is actually a leaf charger just to the right of the doors to the Hawthorne design studio about 50 ft away to the north. Maybe someone told her that there was an alternate EV charger but she got confused.

10. gene

gene Member

11. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

A bit painful to look at given how embarrassed she might have felt after. I hope this scene doesn't repeat at other Superchargers that are closer to town and within range of other EVs.

12. FredTMC

FredTMC Model S VIN #4925

Oh no! That's really good to know that there is a charger there that leaf owners can use. I hope someone directed her over to it.

13. albiefett

albiefett Member

wow, thats a tiny frunk!

14. rlang59

rlang59 Member

I saw I guy at Darien south do the same thing with a Spark EV.

15. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I feel bad for the people who are probably really uncomfortable driving electric to begin with (must be one of their first times) and then to likely feel so totally frustrated not knowing what to do when the plug doesn't fit. No one explained that part to them, I'm sure. And in her case, if there is a Leaf EVSE nearby, someone might have told her 'near Tesla'.

I hope someone helped her out quickly and the experience didn't sour her on EVs ...

16. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Nice to see that a number(the majority?) of responses here were sympathetic.

While we might also chuckle at it, it does illustrate a couple of things:

1) All of us driving BEV's are in a similar boat: it's still a bit of a wild frontier when it comes to public charging, and the more options/assistance available to us, the better. That includes helping one another out (I second the person who mentioned Nissan dealerships allowing us to charge...I've benefited from that myself).

2) Incompatible standards for "refueling" are still problematic. With the scarcity of public options, it would be nice if things eventually as standardized as current gas stations, where you don't really have to think about it TOO much (diesel being the notable exception). While there are other threads regarding the competing standards initiatives, I understand why Tesla chose to go their own way... maybe everyone else will eventually license Tesla's design. ;)

3) Elon has stated that his goal was to spawn the electric car revolution/industry.. that means he recognizes there will always be room for multiple manufacturers and designs... he wants them to succeed, and we should too.

17. Kalud

Kalud Member

Made my day!

Very well said! +1

18. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator

What a great opportunity you had to play the Good Soldier....

At any rate, this experience suggests it would be in Tesla's great interest to place conspicuously at all SpC's an informative sign gently suggesting where non-Tesla EVs might find the nearest appropriate charger, or to a local tourist info site, for example, for leads on same.

19. John Luciano

John Luciano Member

I can't see why the Tesla charger can't have a slot in it were you can charge other EV for a fee. Maybe $2.00 an hour or $3.00 a 1/2 hour. I know if I was driving a non Tesla prod and I was stuck with 15 miles left, I would pay $5.00 for another 30 miles. Heck that is almost cheaper than GAS. I can see were Gas stations are going to jump on that idea soon. They charge for AIR now. $1.00 a min in my area..

20. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

I can think of lots of reasons why Tesla doesn't do that, both business and electrical, but it's really a moot point because most superchargers are located outside major metropolitan areas beyond the range of a Leaf or other EVs. They couldn't get to it and if they did they couldn't get to the next one.