Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funny smell while charging at home, what is it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, I left my Model y charging inside of my garage and I noticed my MY is humming and there is a funny smell 2 hours in. it's not a burning smell, more like electronics smell if that makes sense (similar smell to a cramped computer servers room).

I have inspected my 240v outlet, electric board, and the UMC, but cant find the source of the smell. so my only guess is that the smell is coming from the car trying to cool things down since it's humming quite a bit.

Has anyone here encountered this? Not sure if this warrants a call the SC. it's not a pleasant smell.
Thanks in advance for any help

Hi guys, I left my Model y charging inside of my garage and I noticed my MY is humming and there is a funny smell 2 hours in. it's not a burning smell, more like electronics smell if that makes sense (similar smell to a cramped computer servers room).

I have inspected my 240v outlet, electric board, and the UMC, but cant find the source of the smell. so my only guess is that the smell is coming from the car trying to cool things down since it's humming quite a bit.

Has anyone here encountered this? Not sure if this warrants a call the SC. it's not a pleasant smell.
Check the 12V battery. When the 12V battery fails it can vent hydrogen sulfide gas (smells like rotten eggs.) Open a service request in the Tesla app and be sure to describe the odor. Tesla Mobile Service can replace the 12V battery under the new vehicle warranty. If you don't have Tesla Mobile Service in your area I would book an appointment at the Tesla Service Center. I would not drive the Tesla until the 12V battery has been checked, replaced if needed.

To access the 12V battery you need to open the front trunk of the Tesla Model Y and remove the large plastic cover close to the firewall (the cover pulls off). If you see any liquid around the 12V battery don't touch it as it is highly caustic sulfuric acid and will burn your skin. This would visually confirm that the 12V battery has failed, needs to be replaced.

Any update? I’m experiencing something similar!

Brand new model y and brand new super charger - 60amps
I get the exact same odor and it definitely is coming from the charging point and not the car. Electrical connection seems all fine and couldn’t detect any problem. No warnings whatsoever but unacceptable electronic smell ( like some old fashioned pc heated motherboard smell)
I’m scared of fire hazards though we couldn’t detect any problem.
Any updates ?

Brand new model y and brand new super charger - 60amps
I get the exact same odor and it definitely is coming from the charging point and not the car. Electrical connection seems all fine and couldn’t detect any problem. No warnings whatsoever but unacceptable electronic smell ( like some old fashioned pc heated motherboard smell)
I’m scared of fire hazards though we couldn’t detect any problem.
Any updates ?
I would start with the electrician that installed the charger. Also wouldn’t use it till they inspect it.

I also have a new Model Y & have charged it at home in my garage for a month, now. Tonight was the first time I smelled an “electric smell.” I know that’s hard to explain & I’ve seen the smart-a— replies on here, but it is concerning. Is it just a cooling battery? Is it something I should be worried about?

I also have a new Model Y & have charged it at home in my garage for a month, now. Tonight was the first time I smelled an “electric smell.” I know that’s hard to explain & I’ve seen the smart-a— replies on here, but it is concerning. Is it just a cooling battery? Is it something I should be worried about?
Check for signs of coolant (blue) underneath the vehicle. Note: Water dripping from the HVAC evaporator coil is normal. The windshield washer fluid that Tesla puts into the washer fluid reservoir is blue too. (The coolant is slippery to the touch.)

• Informative
Reactions: Bikeman

I have a 2 month old MY and last night was the first time I charged over 75% (to 85%) and in the morning I encountered the same smell in my garage. Temperature in the garage was around 7 to 10 Celsius, though I did not encounter this on previous nights when the temperature was lower. There was no charging issues and the charge rate was as previous nights and car was still charging normally when I stopped it. Car was plugged into a 120V wall charger at 1 KW per hour.