Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funny story re: red light racing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning on the way into work, I pull up to the red light first in line, and next to me is a GLC AMG 63 V8 Biturbo popping and crackling and loaded for bear. Light turns green and I proceed normally in my new LR3 - and normal for me is a little quick but nothing near full throttle (do we still call it that?). Anyways, the Benz decides this is the SLC Summer Nationals and is giving it everything he's got - engine roaring and crackling. Except he doesn't catch me, and the light on the next block turns red and we're right back where we were. Next time the light turns green, I give him a closer view of what the LR can do, and try as he may he can't close the gap.

A few blocks down the road, and yet another red (my drive to work is so fun!) a Hyundai pulls up next to me and gestures me to roll down the window. She says "did that Mercedes try racing you?". I nod. She says: "even I know that's stupid".

I love my new car.

This morning on the way into work, I pull up to the red light first in line, and next to me is a GLC AMG 63 V8 Biturbo popping and crackling and loaded for bear. Light turns green and I proceed normally in my new LR3 - and normal for me is a little quick but nothing near full throttle (do we still call it that?). Anyways, the Benz decides this is the SLC Summer Nationals and is giving it everything he's got - engine roaring and crackling. Except he doesn't catch me, and the light on the next block turns red and we're right back where we were. Next time the light turns green, I give him a closer view of what the LR can do, and try as he may he can't close the gap.

A few blocks down the road, and yet another red (my drive to work is so fun!) a Hyundai pulls up next to me and gestures me to roll down the window. She says "did that Mercedes try racing you?". I nod. She says: "even I know that's stupid".

I love my new car.

My fav is to watch them try to race me but then I intentionally keep my nose even with theirs as they're floored, meanwhile I'm just feathering the acceleration not giving them what Tesla has "under the hood" so to speak. Love it!

I had the same thing happen to me last week. I have a LR M3 with speed boost. A Dodge Challenger pulls up to the left of me at a stop light, the guy is throttling his noisy engine, I was like whatever, drive off like nothing, but he clearly thought I was going to race him, said, wth, sped off and left him way behind, gotta love the speed boost. We both then stop at another red light and he pulls down his window and gives me a thumbs up, then we both laughed.

I need to stop doing this! lol

Exhibition of speed. A big fine around here. Plus speeding if you went over the limit. And all-around stupid regardless.
while i agree, pay no attention to me. these race things aren't me. big ticket for that here. the closet i got to racing was when a young guy in a cheap little bmw honked at me during a traffic light last year and motioned to race. i gave him a thumbs up and grabbed the wheel tight. one green, he charged off as i gradually pulled away. he saw me laughing at him in the rear view mirror for being a sucker.

while i agree, pay no attention to me. these race things aren't me. big ticket for that here. the closet i got to racing was when a young guy in a cheap little bmw honked at me during a traffic light last year and motioned to race. i gave him a thumbs up and grabbed the wheel tight. one green, he charged off as i gradually pulled away. he saw me laughing at him in the rear view mirror for being a sucker.
Life is short. Live a little.
You can have some fun, with minimal risk.
:)

You must be a joy at parties! In my area of the country, they do not issue tickets for driving your car within the limit. If you get to the limit quicker than someone else, so be it.

Just an FYI, and I'm not pointing fingers, just attempting to educate:

Under the Utah Code §41-6a-606, a person may not engage in any motor vehicle speed contest or exhibition of speed on a highway, or aid or abet in any motor vehicle speed contest or exhibition on any highway.

And that's extremely subjective on the LEOs part, but if there's another car doing the same, it's certainly not in your favor.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Just an FYI, and I'm not pointing fingers, just attempting to educate:

Under the Utah Code §41-6a-606, a person may not engage in any motor vehicle speed contest or exhibition of speed on a highway, or aid or abet in any motor vehicle speed contest or exhibition on any highway.

And that's extremely subjective on the LEOs part, but if there's another car doing the same, it's certainly not in your favor.
These laws are aimed at fast and furious type racing, not driving within the limit.

These laws are aimed at fast and furious type racing, not driving within the limit.

If you're first at a stop light and then accelerate to 45MPH in two seconds after the light turns green, I think most LEOs will define that as "exhibition of speed". If you doubt that, try it next time a policeman is next to you at a light.

edit: Just FYI in case you think I'm a straight-arrow type... once I got two speeding tickets on the same day. A return trip from L.A. on US101 where I was probably 10-15MPH over the limit in both cases. That's actually my one driving flaw; I tend to be at least 10 over whatever the limit is when I drive on the highway. In street driving, it's probably more like 5MPH over but I did get tagged for being 10 over a 35MPH limit a few months after getting my 3. On top of that, the officer gave me a fix-it ticket for a missing front plate (required in CA).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.