Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funny story re: red light racing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone wants to race down here, so it's tough to always ignore them. One guy in an SRT 392 Durango got a surprise. I took it to just under 60mph. After 2 tries he gave up. I can't tell what year it was, but it wasn't close. It must have a been a 2018 as he should have been closer.

Reactions: Stan930
They can't even get the power to the ground, spinning wheels while you're already at the next light.
Traction is where its at.

It's the power delivery too, it's nuts. It's a so linear vs. an ICE vehicle where it climbs, drops, climbs, I mean, sometimes that incredibly fast with a quick transmission like the modern Ford/GM A10, the various DCT implementations from Porsche, BMW, etc., but in a game of 10ths of seconds, it makes a notable difference. Sure, it's a bit of a deficit on the top end, but in the 0-45 / 0-60 range, it's hard to beat.

Everyone wants to race down here, so it's tough to always ignore them. One guy in an SRT 392 Durango got a surprise. I took it to just under 60mph. After 2 tries he gave up. I can't tell what year it was, but it wasn't close. It must have a been a 2018 as he should have been closer.

DD SRT 392s are all about the same, 6.4L 475HP / 470 lb-ft TQ, regardless of year, the most recent changes were mostly interior (got a new larger display, uConnect 5). The Dodge 8-speed is pretty terrific, the SRT has a specific unit for that model, but still a pretty traditional transmission in terms of an automatic - then combined with a 5300lb weight, I mean, it's super quick for a full sized SUV that will seat 6, tow 8K+ lbs, etc.

I kind of cross shopped one during our last "turnover". We had an '18 RT (AWD, tow, etc.) that was terrific over the 3 three years, I briefly considered the new Tow and Go package (basically an RT with the SRT equipment but the 5.7L), then figured why not a SRT (392), but even that seemed like more of the same, and for $75K.

That's when we went with the new Wrangler 4xe, which made me want to sell my Mustang, and I wound up with the M3P. :D

i don't consider this to be a "funny" story. i will call it a potentially dangerous story. but that is boys and their toys.
thanks to all the people who disagreed. the trap was set and now i know all of the ones i can clicked ignore so i never see their opinions one anything TMC ever again. the sad part is they don't know how childish these car games are.:rolleyes:

thanks to all the people who disagreed. the trap was set and now i know all of the ones i can clicked ignore so i never see their opinions one anything TMC ever again. the sad part is they don't know how childish these car games are.:rolleyes:
I'm sure they are devastated and likely throwing themselves off bridges as I type...you can click to ignore me too while you are at it...I just ignored you!

Some of us have been driving for a lot longer than most new Tesla owners have been alive. We know what we're doing and don't need KarenGrl to lecture us lol. I bought this car to drive the piss out of it and that's what I'm going to do. It's the fastest thing out there and the most fun I've had in a car since I was 16. So yeah, buh by.

Lets be frank, 95% of the cars on the road will never beat a Tesla, so why bother?

Mentality in my M3P: YOU WON'T BEAT ME SO WHY WOULD I RACE YOU?
This way you always win and never risk all that extra stuff.

Now if you line up with some real super/hyper cars that's a different story.
Agreed! I've ran into that other 5% twice. First was a Nissan GTR and the second was a Mustang GT500. In my defense, the battery was at mid 70ish%.. Ya, I know, excuses excuses...
Would it of helped if I was at say 95%, maybe, but probably not with these two. Both were modified, the GTR had nitrous but he didn't say how much. Mustang had many mods, more boost, retune. I did keep up with the Mustang off the line then he started pulling on me. I didn't have a chance with that GTR.
The rest, took em to the cleaners, a C8 vette almost got me but I took him off the line and he couldn't catch up.
The ones I love are the turbo imports with the huge mufflers and big wings (no offense to anyone with those) They come up next to you reving them up, turbo going pist,pist,pist, sounding like a trombone or a screaming trumpet. The light turns green and it's see ya...

Well put medphys3,
I bought this car to drive the piss out of it and that's what I'm going to do. It's the fastest thing out there (almost) and the most fun I've had in a car since I was 16. So yeah, buh by.

Reactions: Gasaraki and Ren.OG
Left 1 shows an Infiniti S 3.0 Turbo tailgating me into the turn. As soon as I come out of the turn, he shoots around me on the left, to illustrate that I was in his way.

Left 2 shows me pulling up next to him at the red light. As the light changes, the rest is self explanatory.

In that same shot, at the light before we take off, note the souped up Camaro right behind the Infiniti. Once I take off from the Infiniti and stop at the next red light, he decides to come around to my right to get in on the action. If this clip had sound you’d hear his deafeningly loud exhaust revving while he waited.

Right 3 shows his demise, along with the Infiniti’s, in case he thought it was a fluke the first time.

Left 1
Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files

Left 2

Right 3

My understanding: You appear to race someone, he crashes and kills someone, you will be liable. That is NOT worth it for me. You may be a good driver, but you don't know anything about the other guy (drunk, on drugs, idiot).
No you wont be liable...the person that crashes and kills someone is liable. You were just going about your business...not your fault the other idiot was trying to race you as you were going about your business...just as long as you keep it under the speed limit!

i don't consider this to be a "funny" story. i will call it a potentially dangerous story. but that is boys and their toys.
Sorry, but it's always funny to watch some dude in his super hot rod car get taken down a notch or 6. Of course, driving is potentially dangerous, but I did not read where the traffic was heavy or that there were school children involved. Nor did I hear what the speed limit was or whether it was passed. Even my 77 year old wifey will pass some idiot now and then.

If you're first at a stop light and then accelerate to 45MPH in two seconds after the light turns green, I think most LEOs will define that as "exhibition of speed". If you doubt that, try it next time a policeman is next to you at a light.

edit: Just FYI in case you think I'm a straight-arrow type... once I got two speeding tickets on the same day. A return trip from L.A. on US101 where I was probably 10-15MPH over the limit in both cases. That's actually my one driving flaw; I tend to be at least 10 over whatever the limit is when I drive on the highway. In street driving, it's probably more like 5MPH over but I did get tagged for being 10 over a 35MPH limit a few months after getting my 3. On top of that, the officer gave me a fix-it ticket for a missing front plate (required in CA).
Ummmm.....you are bragging about 10 over? I won't mention the speed I hit the day I picked up my M3P. I'm sure it was totally irresponsible!

Reactions: Stan930
Lets be frank, 95% of the cars on the road will never beat a Tesla, so why bother?

Mentality in my M3P: YOU WON'T BEAT ME SO WHY WOULD I RACE YOU?
This way you always win and never risk all that extra stuff.

Now if you line up with some real super/hyper cars that's a different story.
I agree. This is me. No need to show em I'm faster. Guilty as charged, when i see a car trying to race, i talk to google to recite me their hp and tq. Then i go no thanks and proceed with autopilot. But when a ferrari, lambo or some exotics/highend cars go beside me. I see first if they do anything. Most 9 out of 10, they dont. Either a.) They know im not worth their time or b.) They want to keep their dignity lulz.

I do however enjoy accelerating fast to speed limit every once in awhile. And especially merging, i see it as my only legal way to speed to get to safety heheheh. Reminds me of that saying "a sharper knife is safer than a dull one".

Reactions: Ren.OG
Status
Not open for further replies.