Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funny Tesla App solar change, just me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bmah

Moderator, Supercharger Hunter
Global Moderator
Mar 17, 2015
Lafayette, CA, USA
Solar City (now Tesla Energy) installed PV system sometime around 2009. Tesla Model S bought in 2015. Tesla Powerwalls bought and installed in 2019.

From the Powerwall installation in 2019 until sometime recently, my Tesla app (iOS) showed my car and Powerwall system, as expected. For the first time I saw today that my solar is now shown separately, in other words there are now three items in the "Switch Product" screen. This change doesn't really add any value, because the solar numbers are exactly the same (fortunately I guess) as what I see in the Powerwall's Energy Usage screen with the Solar Energy graph selected.

So nothing really wrong, just...odd. Anyone else have this happen? Is there some new cool Solar related functionality I'm missing here?

Thanks,

Bruce.

That was the case from the beginning when mine was installed in January 2021. I haven't seen any added functionality, its probably just that they are different systems. For me, the PW screen has all the info anyway so I never look at the "third" screen.

Reactions: bmah
Solar City (now Tesla Energy) installed PV system sometime around 2009. Tesla Model S bought in 2015. Tesla Powerwalls bought and installed in 2019.

From the Powerwall installation in 2019 until sometime recently, my Tesla app (iOS) showed my car and Powerwall system, as expected. For the first time I saw today that my solar is now shown separately, in other words there are now three items in the "Switch Product" screen. This change doesn't really add any value, because the solar numbers are exactly the same (fortunately I guess) as what I see in the Powerwall's Energy Usage screen with the Solar Energy graph selected.

So nothing really wrong, just...odd. Anyone else have this happen? Is there some new cool Solar related functionality I'm missing here?

Thanks,

Bruce.

Mine has been that way all along, @bmah .

I used to use the solar city app, but when that was depreciated, they told me to use the tesla app. In my tesla app, I have three screens. One for my vehicle, one for my powerwalls (which also includes solar production) and one more that includes just the solar, so I have three screens like you mention.

There isnt anything special on that solar only screen, I think it might he a holdover for those of us who were transitioned from solar city or something, but as I mentioned its always been there for me.

Reactions: bmah
Here is my history products showing up in my app:

Tesla acquires Solar City

Solar City Solar (property 1, production only data, no house meter)
Solar City Solar (property 2, production only data, no house meter)

I buy Powerwalls so now I have
Powerwall with solar data (it is the sum of all my solar including non Tesla)
Solar (other property)
Solar (same property as Powerwall but only Tesla/SolarCity)

We then buy an investment property that has SolarCity Solar so that got added to line up. This one has whole house meter.

Then we added Y so that also showed up. So now are up to [yeah kinda looks like a flex]:

Model 3
Model Y
Powerwall (property 1)
Solar (property 3)
Solar (property 2)
Solar (property 1)

Amusing the three different solar only displays are different from other, the presentation probably reflects the vintage of the Solar city System it was.

Most recently I added another Powerwall and new solar from Tesla on property 1 with existing Powerall. Not surprisingly the new Powerwall joined the existing Powerwall. Try as I might, I have not been able to get Tesla to give me another solar entry. This would allow me to check the production of that system in isolation. The solar production on the Powerwall entry is now the aggregate of three different systems. I've verified that Tesla is getting production data from the new Tesla Solar Inverter. But they somehow claimed what I wanted was not possible despite the existing example of my own account. This development is giving me hope that they'll release production data for my newest PV system to the app.

A possible feature that this will allow is for "Service" to be requested on a specific system. "Service" exists as an option for all the PV systems but not the Powerwall.