Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funny to see what the “other M3” owners think.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And, at least Audi's equal on quality.

I had one Audi, a Q5. It was the 3.2 liter supercharged version.

It was having problems shifting gears, stuttering and very indicative of transmission problems. Thankfully I was able to get rid of it during its warranty period. Two Audi dealerships couldn't find anything wrong despite having video evidence.

Could my 1 Q5 be an outlier? Possibly but the fact that two service centers couldn't do anything really concerned me.

With Tesla in the game by then, it was no longer a concern if I wanted to go with Audi in the future for their RS3, RS5, etc.

Reactions: P85_DA
As a long time Bimmerpost poster and owner of multiple BMW vehicles, I have to say that there are a lot of entitled elitist a-holes on both sides of the aisle.

I don't care for BMW but have several friends who do, and have met many others. I have no problem with them personally. For me the BMW issue is that many BMW drivers are just terrible drivers. Passing on the right, tailgating, looking at their phones when the light turns green, driving way too fast for traffic conditions -- basically everything that screams bad driver. I'm not a believer in stereotypes but this one is hard to miss. And ultimately, I care much less if someone is elitist than if they are a good driver.

I don't care for BMW but have several friends who do, and have met many others. I have no problem with them personally. For me the BMW issue is that many BMW drivers are just terrible drivers. Passing on the right, tailgating, looking at their phones when the light turns green, driving way too fast for traffic conditions -- basically everything that screams bad driver. I'm not a believer in stereotypes but this one is hard to miss. And ultimately, I care much less if someone is elitist than if they are a good driver.
I thought the turn signals were broken! Could it be the BMW drivers not using them?

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA and MXWing

That’s not the definition of a “terrible driver”.

That’s more like “elitist ahole driver.”

Didn't bother reading the forum posts, trolling is stupid, agreed.

That said, as a long time BMW club member, virtually all of the club members I know are vastly better drivers than average. Most of them are autocross or track regulars, work on their own cars, etc. They're enthusiasts.

I can't speak to the F80 forum; generally new car forums are terrible because the owners inevitably think their expensive new purchase is the best thing since sliced bread. My first ever new car was my Golf R, so it was my first time spending a lot of time on the forum of a new car, and the experience level of the average owner is far lower than the experience level of the average 5-10 year old car that I'm more used to.

Unfortunately, I generally find the Tesla forums suffer from all of the same problems, plus the misplaced Elon hero worship.

Another problem is, there are many more Tesla fans that were not previously 'car people' so you have even more of the "newbie issue" than you'll find even on a new-car forum of another manufacturer.

So, it all depends on where you sit, and all forums have their problems.

Adding reddit into the mix makes it even worse.

i'm sure tesla drivers get the same type of bad rep, because there are stories/you tube/google regarding autopilot, asleep driver, driver actually in the passenger seat, both hands on phone, and then any accidents regarding tesla's, they all think that we don't know how to drive and/or use the autopilot correctly

I can understand people who need, or feel they need, the convenience of gasoline. With the present infrastructure, gas is definitely more convenient and more widely available. And I can understand people who prefer not to spend the premium on batteries for an electric car. I can even understand people who enjoy going to the track and want a car that can run laps all day long without having to charge.

But I cannot understand people who want to burn gasoline just for the sake of burning gasoline. Even if they are really ignorant enough to fail to understand the environmental consequences, or callous enough to not care, I cannot understand someone who would reject an otherwise superior car merely because it uses electricity rather than gasoline.

And people who prefer a noisy car over a quiet one are just plain assholes with no consideration for the comfort of all the people who have to listen to their stinking monstrosities destroying the peace and quiet of other people's homes. Noise pollution is an assault on the rights of others around you, just as smoking in public is.

The Model 3 is not intended as a race car. It's intended to be a comfortable family car that's easy on the environment, and it accomplishes this extremely well. I'm reasonably sure that the vast majority of BMW owners just want a comfortable family car as well. And the dickheads who enjoy creating a public disturbance by driving a noisy car or who prefer gasoline just because they think Elon Musk is a jerk are a small minority.

Case in point: there is currently a thread going on in the main Facebook Model 3 group where someone who is currently a BMW i3 driver with a Model 3 on order is concerned about all of the delivery issues he's read and wondering if he should stick with the i3, which has not had any build quality issues. It's an legitimate concern IMHO, but he's being ripped to pieces by people in the thread. The level of tribalism is completely insane.

Case in point: there is currently a thread going on in the main Facebook Model 3 group where someone who is currently a BMW i3 driver with a Model 3 on order is concerned about all of the delivery issues he's read and wondering if he should stick with the i3, which has not had any build quality issues. It's an legitimate concern IMHO, but he's being ripped to pieces by people in the thread. The level of tribalism is completely insane.

Link?

@lolachampcar inspired me to do a quick google on “performance model 3 vs M3” and see what a bimmer forum thinks.

I was very entertained. There is a definite breaking in the ranks starting to form.

M3/M4 vs. Tesla Model 3 Performance

In no way do I endorse bashing M3’s as that would have been my car were it not for Tesla. You would have to be a real loser to make an account over there as a Tesla owner and no intention to buy a M3 just to troll.

All the arguments are funny.

Don’t care how fast, if it doesn’t make noise or smell gas I don’t want it”.

I got no speeding tickets in my Tesla.. quiet assassin...

“I can’t buy a Tesla because the owners are annoying self righteous moronic tards.

I don’t disagree completely here.. I can relate because it’s like me and Apple products. Love the product, hate the users.

Anyone coming from a BMW M3 or Audi S5 or some other badass old school performance auto? I bet it’s awkward to be brothers and sisters with the Tesla family. :D

Ahahahaha Agreed. Here are a few Tesla douche rules

1) Dont tell any TMC member you think TSLA stock price will go down.

2) Electric car light launches will increase ego drastically.

3) How do you know someone owns a Tesla. They will tell you

5) GoPro & YouTube channel = Huge car enthusiast

6) Must post all issues online prior to calling service centre.

Follow these rules and welcome to Da Douche CLUB

2) Electric car light launches will increase ego drastically.

3) How do you know someone owns a Tesla. They will tell you

5) GoPro & YouTube channel = Huge car enthusiast

6) Must post all issues online prior to calling service centre.

Follow these rules and welcome to Da Douche CLUB

Oh man.. I'm about to trigger some people.

7) If the service center gives you an ICE loaner, you throw a fit because ONE more gas vehicle is going to melt the ice caps.

8) You would disown your own father if he had a different political view than you. (I've seen this stated on TMC)

9) You convinced yourself that one display is better than two! (Model 3, cough, cough)

10) You have an irrational hatred about "creep mode" - and can't stand a car with more than 1 pedal. (If you have ANY ice vehicles in your household, there is a good reason to maintain consistency for ALL drivers in the household.

Last edited:
And people who prefer a noisy car over a quiet one are just plain assholes with no consideration for the comfort of all the people who have to listen to their stinking monstrosities destroying the peace and quiet of other people's homes. Noise pollution is an assault on the rights of others around you, just as smoking in public is.

The Model 3 is not intended as a race car. It's intended to be a comfortable family car that's easy on the environment, and it accomplishes this extremely well. I'm reasonably sure that the vast majority of BMW owners just want a comfortable family car as well. And the dickheads who enjoy creating a public disturbance by driving a noisy car or who prefer gasoline just because they think Elon Musk is a jerk are a small minority.

I live on a hill side so noise travels up, and more than noisey cars are the assholes on motorcycles, esp harleys..they assault the whole neighborhood with those things even with the windows in the house closed.

I use the model 3 as an everyday comfy around the town beater, bmw f80 m3 and s2000 on weekends for fun and different driving experience.

As a bmw m3 and model 3 owner, both are great cars enjoy driving both. EV is different in that its a very easy drive, a s2000/m3 takes more work but is also more engaging

Reactions: GSP
Gad..... enjoyed this thread for a while(40,000 mike S owner), then really? I’ve driven BMWs have friends that own them and they are great cars... the 3 is a whole new paradigm... have friends that are hard core “drivers” and they admit Tesla is awesome, but I don’t give em flack if their not ready to change.... and then along will come the roadster.....

Reactions: GSP
I can understand people who need, or feel they need, the convenience of gasoline. With the present infrastructure, gas is definitely more convenient and more widely available. And I can understand people who prefer not to spend the premium on batteries for an electric car. I can even understand people who enjoy going to the track and want a car that can run laps all day long without having to charge.

But I cannot understand people who want to burn gasoline just for the sake of burning gasoline. Even if they are really ignorant enough to fail to understand the environmental consequences, or callous enough to not care, I cannot understand someone who would reject an otherwise superior car merely because it uses electricity rather than gasoline.

I like Harley bike riders until they remove the mufflers. Then they are aholes. Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of them that ride near my house. For some reason, noise pollution is only a problem with the police if you have your stereo blaring too loud.

I hated BMW until I drove one. Then I respected them, but couldn't afford one. By the time I could afford one, Tesla was around. While I still like BMWs, Tesla made a far more compelling car for me. I love that the fastest car I have personally ever owned is also the most efficient vehicle on the highway! All my life those were diametrically opposed things that I always had to compromise on. That type of innovation moves me. If the model 3 did not exist, I still would not be able to afford a BMW.

I don't honestly understand this obsession people have with vehicles making large amounts of noise.

Why? What's the purpose of it?

I totally get having some switch you can throw like a Jaguar F-Type has. Sometimes you do want an amazing sound to come from the exhaust. Like going down a Canyon Road with the top down.

But, they're greatly underestimating the benefits of doing the opposite. Where you really want the car to be stealthy, and you don't wish to advertise to everyone what you're doing.

That's really where electric cars shine.

It's amusing that a BMW owner would even bring up a conversation about noise as the M5 has fake engine noise piped into the speakers. At that point you just gotta admit that even ICE cars have gotten REALLY quiet.

Is there even being such a thing as a purist these days when it comes to sound on an ICE car? Most modified cars seem to sound like they're farting themselves down the road.

The better sounding ones are usually the ones with larger engines like a Ford Mustang, but that has a MASSIVE number for after market options. Options so varied it's like you're buying a synthesizer.

With an EV we don't have any of that (except tuned interior sound like what the Jaguar has).

<...snip...>

Of course TSLA will go down. Then up. Then down again, and up and down and up and down, etc. It's an extremely volatile stock. I think Tesla is here to stay and will go up in the long run. I also think it's extremely risky to put much of your investment in any individual stock issue.

... I love that the fastest car I have personally ever owned is also the most efficient vehicle on the highway! ...

This is a big selling point for me. I like having passing/merging power, but not if it means destroying the planet. I loved my old '89 Civic for being such a fuel sipper. But my Roadster uses a lot less energy and here in the PNW that energy is sustainable zero-carbon hydro power. And my Model 3, though about a second slower 0-60, uses about the same amount of energy as the Roadster.

Electric motors are far more efficient than gas engines, and have completely different torque and efficiency curves.

[QUOTE="S4WRXTTCS, post: 2969710, member: 35279"

It's amusing that a BMW owner would even bring up a conversation about noise as the M5 has fake engine noise piped into the speakers.
[/QUOTE]

There is an idea for a future software update - fake engine noise in Tesla sound systems. Would be great to have different options - Mustang, Maclaren, Trabant (love the two stroke sound of this one), Falcon Heavy, NYC subway train, steam engine etc. The Trabant option should come with a burned oil smell generator.
This is how you convince ICE fans to switch! (And shut up the CR reviewer who complained about lack of engine noise in thr 3).