Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Further discussion and analysis on why the yoke is not good

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, of course it's "opinion" that is being shared by so very many professional auto reviewers as well. I guess some find it odd how their opinions, based on decades of evaluating cars by actually driving them, seem to match mine, and mine come with a Bachelor's in Human Factors Engineering:

Yes, please feel free to keep your yokes/jokes and opinions, and share them here so as to provide the layman's uninformed/uneducated opinion. However, in the real world of experts, facts, and data, the Tesla yoke is a massive step backwards for auto safety with one exception: while it will likely lead to more accidents, the missing top half of the steering wheel may be a benefit in high energy collisions . . . .

Yes, of course it's "opinion" that is being shared by so very many professional auto reviewers as well. I guess some find it odd how their opinions, based on decades of evaluating cars by actually driving them, seem to match mine, and mine come with a Bachelor's in Human Factors Engineering:

Yes, please feel free to keep your yokes/jokes and opinions, and share them here so as to provide the layman's uninformed/uneducated opinion. However, in the real world of experts, facts, and data, the Tesla yoke is a massive step backwards for auto safety with one exception: while it will likely lead to more accidents, the missing top half of the steering wheel may be a benefit in high energy collisions . . . .

I'll bet you a hamburger you are wrong.

I’m enjoying the massive step back. You’ll be okay. Go with the wheel.

I don't think this would have been an issue and both sides could have been happy if there was a choice from the outset. On something you touch every day when driving, the yoke was bound to polarizing. Factor in the half-assed implementation of it (i.e lack of variable ratio power steering) and it just added fuel to the fire. Removal of the stalks was just the cherry on top of a cluster trucked implementation.

On the highway, I didn't have an issue for the most part with the yoke. I could have lived with that aspect of it, at least until I need more than a turn lock to lock.

Offering a wheel solves only half of the problem. The other half is related to the controls - they will still be all over the place.
A real solution would be:
- Short steering ratio of the current yoke; or
- Regular wheel with stalks

BTW: Lexus is also trying to “reinvent the wheel”. However, I think they are “outsmarting” Tesla :). They introduced variable ratio and there is a delay between turning the yoke and the wheels turning!

On the highway, I didn't have an issue for the most part with the yoke. I could have lived with that aspect of it, at least until I need more than a turn lock to lock.
Spot on. Even my wife - who is, shall we say, change averse, will admit the yoke is comfortable for straight-and-narrow highway driving. It's the local maneuvers where its shortcomings come into full display. K-turns, U-turns, roundabouts, jughandles (welcome to NJ!), sharp corners, etc. are all suboptimal -- borderline dangerous. Had several maneuvers where I'm executing a quick turn, reach to grab the wheel and get nothing but air because there is no wheel where I expect it. I'll grant that I've got many decades of muscle memory ingrained but that is all the more reason why steering should be instinctive.

Variable ratio rack would help tremendously - without it, those > 90deg manuevers are all suboptimal compared to a wheel. If it weren't, the Model T would've had a T-bar for steering and not a wheel.

Spot on. Even my wife - who is, shall we say, change averse, will admit the yoke is comfortable for straight-and-narrow highway driving. It's the local maneuvers where its shortcomings come into full display. K-turns, U-turns, roundabouts, jughandles (welcome to NJ!), sharp corners, etc. are all suboptimal -- borderline dangerous. Had several maneuvers where I'm executing a quick turn, reach to grab the wheel and get nothing but air because there is no wheel where I expect it. I'll grant that I've got many decades of muscle memory ingrained but that is all the more reason why steering should be instinctive.

Variable ratio rack would help tremendously - without it, those > 90deg manuevers are all suboptimal compared to a wheel. If it weren't, the Model T would've had a T-bar for steering and not a wheel.

Those moves with the yoke are not universally dangerous or suboptimal. To some they are and to some they are not evidently. I have done all those maneuvers quite a few times in the 72k+ miles (18 states) I have on the yoke. No accidents, no issues, no near misses due to the yoke.

It is okay if the yoke is not for you - now you have a choice. But these universal, drama filled responses from anti-yokers are just old. This is not to you dmurphy but the others that will not be happy until the yoke is eliminated from this planet through their hyperbole and government intervention. The yoke works - get over it - it is not for everyone and you now have a choice.

Isn't there something else about the car you can latch on to complain about and tell us why we are so stupid for liking it? I will start it off - I think the cup holders are great and in the right place.

Reactions: Proppilot
Those moves with the yoke are not universally dangerous or suboptimal. To some they are and to some they are not evidently. I have done all those maneuvers quite a few times in the 72k+ miles (18 states) I have on the yoke. No accidents, no issues, no near misses due to the yoke.

It is okay if the yoke is not for you - now you have a choice. But these universal, drama filled responses from anti-yokers are just old. This is not to you dmurphy but the others that will not be happy until the yoke is eliminated from this planet through their hyperbole and government intervention. The yoke works - get over it - it is not for everyone and you now have a choice.

Isn't there something else about the car you can latch on to complain about and tell us why we are so stupid for liking it? I will start it off - I think the cup holders are great and in the right place.

As I said, I'm just not interested in relearning muscle memory. Definitely a sign I've hit middle age... this is the first time in my life I've really opted out of latest-n-greatest. Crazy thought for me, for sure. But hey, if it works for others, great. What worries me though is I've seen multiple people advise driving the yoke with just one finger (or someone's direct reply to me, "just use two thumbs.") That's piss poor advice, no matter how you slice it. You simply don't maintain control of the vehicle that way. Not trying to be all doom-n-gloom, but I hate to see people adopt really poor habits. That really IS dangerous. For me, personally, I've adapted to the yoke and haven't hit anything either, but it doesn't mean I think it's great... just biding time till my ship wheel comes in.

Anyway -- as for cupholders, the location is fine, but I'll be honest --- the ones in my wife's Raven X are better. The lower ones especially with the moveable dividers are awesome. We use a variety of insulated travel mugs - some Yetis, some Swell bottles, etc -- and those cupholders can accomodate anything. Her Swell bottle, for instance, doesn't fit in my Palladium S cupholders.

Sorry - guess that's something else I think is a downgrade from the Raven models. :)

Reactions: Hayseed_MS

Exactly what the video in post #350 addresses FWIW.

Reactions: dmurphy
The yoke isn’t necessarily a bad idea, but Teslas implementation is. They put a yoke on a steering system from a conventional round wheel car - that’s a mistake. It could be improved considerably, see video in post #350 above.

I wouldn't trust electronic steering (especially from a brand whose wheels are falling off ;)), or does it have a failsafe in a similar way as when power-steering fails you can still steer?

• Funny
Reactions: Boza and Hayseed_MS
I wouldn't trust electronic steering (especially from a brand whose wheels are falling off ;)), or does it have a failsafe in a similar way as when power-steering fails you can still steer?
Note the delay in the wheels turning. It is pretty bad.
There are many areas where we actually need improvements; reinventing the wheel is not one of them.