Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Further discussion and analysis on why the yoke is not good

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, there is one, but it’s a very bespoke solution and not something you can buy or do yourself easily.

Just watched the video. Entertaining for sure.

now if Tesla would just do the right thing moving forward.
‘’provide an option set up to include round steering wheel, stalk controls, and proper brakes for a car with this much HP’’.

simple really.

Just watched the video. Entertaining for sure.

now if Tesla would just do the right thing moving forward.
‘’provide an option set up to include round steering wheel, stalk controls, and proper brakes for a car with this much HP’’.

simple really.

Well at least they’ll sell you better brakes soon if you want them badly enough:

I'm pretty sure that I saw a post where someone put a Model 3 steering wheel on a new Model S.

Does that exist? Or was I dreaming it? LOL
The yoke is only fatiguing if you care about actually having some input over what the car is doing. If you're comfortable letting the car do whatever it wants and having minimal override abilities then it should be fine but I don't think your life is going to last very long.

Yeah, that thread on Ryan and his Model 3-steering-column-equipped Plaid is here....though I don't think anybody has heard from him in a while..........And unfortunately while everything seems to plug and play hardware wise, the tricky part of this is getting (and especially keeping) the software side of things working. If you think Tesla has a hard time keeping supported functionality working between updates, imagine unsupported (or even unwanted) changes breaking with updates. There's even a rumor that Ryan's software changes were disabled on an update (unconfirmed).

Now that I've addressed the yoke issue with an aftermarket wheel, I'd love for a solution for the stalks....with devices like the wireless S3XY buttons that can send all sorts of car commands (including turn signal toggles), I'm hoping somebody comes up with a stalk device that can be added to the steering column that can send turn signals to the car without any hard wiring (other than the base device that hooks into the can bus, etc.). Maybe they could even take an existing Model 3 steering column/stalk/shroud and hook it up to something like the S3XY buttons transmitter)....I'd assume that should also be a lot more reliable and insulated from software updates than hacks.

One thing this thread does, that I find very interesting, is present a well thought out, rational, explanation for why OP does not like the yoke. One thing I have not seen, and I have looked, is any similar argument for why those who do like the yoke prefer it to a wheel. I have found threads purporting to offer such but they are filled with either mistakes, opinions or just mistruths. There is nothing wrong, at all, with someone preferring a yoke for any aesthetic reason they want to name, but the reality is Tesla should be offering the wheel as an option at minimum.

You mean you haven't found any useful or rational support posted on the Yoke Lover's thread? They tell me that most--if not 110% of all people--prefer the yoke; with all those fans, you'd think somebody would have come up with a valid argument for the yoke??

Last edited:
Well at least they’ll sell you better brakes soon if you want them badly enough:

I think the point is… if a manufacturer (Tesla) is going to design a car that has this much HP, it should do so with safety in mind. The car needs bigger brakes. Everyone knows and understands that. Deliver the car fully engineered with the correct balance of power and braking. Come on Tesla, get it together

I think the point is… if a manufacturer (Tesla) is going to design a car that has this much HP, it should do so with safety in mind. The car needs bigger brakes. Everyone knows and understands that. Deliver the car fully engineered with the correct balance of power and braking. Come on Tesla, get it together
I just say a video posted of the plaid drag racing a McLaren and they said the plaid seemed to have better braking power. Just wanted to mention.

Okay that's an interesting video that you posted. did you actually watch it? In the video it said that the 8:00 and 4:00 position is actually preferable to the 9 and 3. Unfortunately, with the yoke you can't use the 8:00 and 4:00 position because it is a rectangular edge. This adds a lot of argument to a circular steering wheel on a lower portions.

So moral of the story here is that the yoke is inferior to a steering wheel for two reasons: it's missing the entire upper part of the 360° wheel and the lower part is actually rectangular so you are not able to utilize positions such as 8:00 and 4:00 that are encouraged in the video that you posted.
Did you actually read anything I’ve posted about my feedback regarding the yoke and form factor evolution? Or the Toyota review?

Aren’t you busy avoiding questions about the mysterious loss you took on a new car transaction?

Or are you picking and choosing to respond to posts that fit your narrative? (Rhetorical) 😂

Hurt.

Last edited:
If round wheel were an option, I would have gone that route for sure. That said, after getting comfortable with the yoke, I cant say I'd change it out to a round wheel now, even if the option were free from Tesla. However, do I think a round wheel is superior to a yoke? EDIT*: I meant to say "do I think a yoke is superior to a round wheel*(especially a yoke without accompanying variable ratio steering rack)? Heck no. It was clearly a marketing gimmick to get attention. And it worked.

Last edited:
If round wheel were an option, I would have gone that route for sure. That said, after getting comfortable with the yoke, I cant say I'd change it out to a round wheel now, even if the option were free from Tesla. However, do I think a round wheel is superior to a yoke? (especially a yoke without accompanying variable ratio steering rack)? Heck no. It was clearly a marketing gimmick to get attention. And it worked.
Just want to confirm, I'm getting a mixed-message from your post.

Did you mean to say:
"Do I think a yoke is superior to a round wheel? Heck no."

Reactions: TessP100D
Love mine, would not change it for the world and this thread is getting ridiculous.
You don’t like it? Fine, drive something else or Install a aftermarket wheel.
GET OVER IT!
I like it because of:
Better Hand position, safer in case of airbag deployment as your hands are where they are supposed to be instead of risking to break your elbows.
Very comfy for long distance driving, done 1,000 miles + road trips.
I have the plaid since May and I can do 3 point turn as fast as I used to with a normal wheel, just took few days to find my best position.
I positioned it lower than I would with a wheel and the arm position feel more natural.
Love the look and the view it gives of the instruments panel.
No issues with the controls or swapping the gear on the screen.
If I had the choice I would still go with the yoke.

I ran a little survey for refresh MS/MX owners about the yoke and related controls for a more balanced perspective. Details and link to the results here:

Reactions: chirowolf
I don't get why all the yoke-lovers are so upset? They actually have the car they want. The yoke-haters are just trying to get to the car they want. It's easier to skip over threads than to fix the entire ill-designed steering column and yoke.

This is something where minds won't be changed by people continually confessing their love for the yoke, so I would expect the yoke-haters to probably be even more annoyed by the yoke-lovers at this point?

Besides, there has been a lot of cool developments thanks to a lot of complaining:
And maybe if Tesla hadn't botched up the user interface (and people convincing themselves it's progress), there wouldn't be so many complainers? :D

Reactions: Mark II
I don't get why all the yoke-lovers are so upset?

Just a guess, but when you spend more than $100k on a car, you have to lie to yourself about things you don't like in order to feel good about your purchase.

Certainly some people sold their cars after experiencing the yoke. Others *actually* like it. And then there are those that would probably rather have a wheel, but have convinced themselves that the yoke is cool. Those people are emotionally attached to the yoke being a good thing. Reading criticism of the yoke is tough for those people. Defend, they must.

Just a guess, but when you spend more than $100k on a car, you have to lie to yourself about things you don't like in order to feel good about your purchase.

Certainly some people sold their cars after experiencing the yoke. Others *actually* like it. And then there are those that would probably rather have a wheel, but have convinced themselves that the yoke is cool. Those people are emotionally attached to the yoke being a good thing. Reading criticism of the yoke is tough for those people. Defend, they must.

The only problem is that it's difficult to know if you'll like a yoke until you actually spend considerable time driving a car with a yoke. Personally, I don't think I'd like it....but how would I know until I've had enough time to know for sure?

Reactions: father_of_6
Background...

41-year-old male here with 25+ years of driving. Ive owned about 20 cars in my lifetime as well. Acura, Mercedes, Pontiac, Olds, Chevy, Infiniti, Mazda, Toyota, Lexus... and so on. I am a past owner a two M3s and a MYP prior. My wife also has a MYLR.

After owning a 21 MSLR Refresh for the past week, I am sold on the yoke. I love it. I find it easier to maneuver and driving the highway is amazing. I feel I am biased because I am a web developer and digital marketer. I also game using a keyboard/mouse setup, stream, and content create. I state this as my hand eye coordination is superb which makes using the turn signals, wipers, and horn like second nature for me after only 7 days.

From some, I can see this being horrible. Not for me though. I absolutely love it.

Just keep in mind that all who complain about the brakes are drag racing the car in the quarter mile and beyond, reaching speeds of 140+. Sure you can argue at that speed the brakes are insufficient but I have driven my car 8000 miles and have no complaints. I was on the freeway where auto collision kicked in, saved my life, where the car auto-braked engaging the anti-lock to a complete stop from 87mph just fine. Around town and in normal driving I rarely use the brakes and rely on regenerative braking for 95% of the time and use the regular brakes for when I come in hot in daily situations.

I've owned many heavy high performance sedans in the past, most recently an F10 M5 Competition, and currently have a 911 Carerra S, all of which have standard steel brakes which are fine for daily spirited driving and light track days. When taking them on the track or pushing them, they all exhibit brake fade at some point. In talking to the shop mechanics at BMW and Porsche, the cheapest upgrade would be to change the brake lines to stainless steel braided (to prevent heat expansion) and upgrade your brake fluids. If I was a serious track and performance junkie, then I should have opted for the CCB option for either car.

You are asking Tesla for too much and hold them to a standard where other manufacturers also do the same. Porsche nickel and dimes you for basic features like lane change assist, power seats, xenon vs. LED (PDLS), etc etc on 120k+ cars. Same with BMW and Mercedes, but you feel entitled that Tesla should do more when they have basically 5 options (paint color, wheels, FSD, seat and trim color) and everything else is standard. I have a lot more features on this car than any of my previous! My 130k 911 would have been $150k to get equivalent options and that's for a Carrera S. The model S is a fast practical family sedan and for the average use case, the brakes are plenty sufficient. You're making it sound as if these cars are underivable and a rolling NHTSA violation.