Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Further discussion and analysis on why the yoke is not good

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed! I’m holding off getting MX for just that reason….AND Tesla seems unwilling to offer me a test drive for my $150K. I seriously hope they dont screw up the Roadster and Cybertruck with this yoke
7 Months in, I love the yoke.
I'll never go back to a wheel. It's soooo much more efficient.

I'll never go back to a wheel. It's soooo much more efficient.

I cannot really tell. My S was delivered almost 18 months ago and I have not been able to move the car out of my garage yet because such complicated maneuvers cannot be safely accomplshed with the yoke. Plus, how do i drive it with one hand at 12 o'clock and the other on the shifter?

Most importantly, the less experience I have with yoke, the more of an expert it makes me on this forum about the yoke.

What's not good about the wipers?
I find they work just fine... The auto wipers are very reliable and if I need to turn on the washer, I just press the button on the yoke.
I find it significantly more cumbersome than a traditional stalk if I’m doing anything except hitting the button once for a single wipe.

Again, i find the whole yoke contraption liveable at best. There’s no advantage at all for me over a traditional wheel and stalks.

I find it significantly more cumbersome than a traditional stalk if I’m doing anything except hitting the button once for a single wipe.

Again, i find the whole yoke contraption liveable at best. There’s no advantage at all for me over a traditional wheel and stalks.
So... you find it easier to take your hand off the wheel and move a wiper lever on the stalk than just tap the button on the yoke? (Protip: You can use your thumb to tap the wiper icon without removing your hand from the yoke. All you have to do is move your thumb an inch or two.)

So... you find it easier to take your hand off the wheel and move a wiper lever on the stalk than just tap the button on the yoke? (Protip: You can use your thumb to tap the wiper icon without removing your hand from the yoke. All you have to do is move your thumb an inch or two.)
Taping for a single wipe when needed isnt the issue. The issue is operating the wipers with the scroll wheel. Its more cumbersome than a stalk.

If tesla had the option to get current yoke vs a traditional setup id take the latter without even thinking about it.

Why not just leave it in the automatic mode? I agree, they were crap in the beginning but they seem to be tweaking this with almost every update to the point now where they work quite well IMHO. They will only continue to improve. The auto flasher cancel is pretty much flawless now. Auto high beams still need some work but are getting there. Patience.

Last edited:
Reactions: bhzmark
Someone mentioned early on that is a dead horse not worth beating it. I agree. But, I still see this thread going on. So I chime in now. At the end of day, it's a matter of personal preference. I was skeptical to say the least early on and thought yoke was going to be horrible. To my surprise, I like it quite a bit. I do prefer it for longer driving as opposed to the gentleman who was a pilot. It's more of a restful position for the arms.
My main point of contention was the lack proper feedback from the buttons which is now almost completely mitigated since I have used those plastic/resin sticky buttons. The horn though should still be in the middle.

We all have developed a lot of muscle memory with wheels. It takes time to develop new ones.
My two cents.
Cheers.

Why not just leave it in the automatic mode? I agree, they were crap in the beginning but they seem to be tweaking this with almost every update to the point now where they work quite well IMHO. They will only continue to improve. The auto flasher cancel is pretty much flawless now. Auto high beams still need some work but are getting there. Patience.
Just a habit but i like operating the vehicle completely myself for the most part. I am not an FSD user. To be clear, I am not bashing the vehicle in any way. I simply prefer the traditional setup. The yoke has not hindered me minus not being able to activate the horn when I needed to.

Just a habit but i like operating the vehicle completely myself for the most part. I am not an FSD user. To be clear, I am not bashing the vehicle in any way. I simply prefer the traditional setup. The yoke has not hindered me minus not being able to activate the horn when I needed to.
My Land Rover also has (two) buttons for the horn similar to the Tesla except one on each side of the wheel. No problem.

Someone mentioned early on that is a dead horse not worth beating it. I agree. But, I still see this thread going on. So I chime in now. At the end of day, it's a matter of personal preference. I was skeptical to say the least early on and thought yoke was going to be horrible. To my surprise, I like it quite a bit. I do prefer it for longer driving as opposed to the gentleman who was a pilot. It's more of a restful position for the arms.
My main point of contention was the lack proper feedback from the buttons which is now almost completely mitigated since I have used those plastic/resin sticky buttons. The horn though should still be in the middle.

We all have developed a lot of muscle memory with wheels. It takes time to develop new ones.
My two cents.
Cheers.
Yup, i agree. Tesla could've put a raised circle for feel around horn and brights but raised clear stickies do the job! No need to do this for the turn signals because there's already a raised line between them. I also prefer the yoke. Quite honestly (I'm learning from this forum that people preface a statement with "honestly" when they know people wont like what will be said) the yolk is more comfortable. I'm reminded of this every time I drive my wife's thin round wheel car.

That’s understandable how close to your thumb the button feels to you, but with a stalk, it’s in the same place everytime and I can reach for it without looking. It does not move from its predictable location going into or out of turns, on curvy roads, or many similar situations. Chasing the button around an arc as I’m attempting to steer seems suboptimal.

IMHO.

Reactions: QUBO and TSLA Pilot