Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Further discussion and analysis on why the yoke is not good

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even swapping out a wheel for the yoke, I still curse Elon every day for the removal of the stalks. Again, and must be about the 50th time, my nose was almost clipped when pulling out onto a street because I couldn't get the car in reverse quick enough to back up. It is sort of a blind approach onto the road and to see the oncoming traffic, you have to put your nose fairly far into the lane that you need to merge into.

By the time I am far enough to see the cars coming from the left, I am also a hazard to them. In the 3, it is very easy to back up. In the S it is a total cluster and today I was luck enough the guy coming from my left was able to move over. By the time I was able to find reverse and back up, he had already changed lanes and was past me.

The more I drive with the stupid on screen gear shift the more I curse Elon and Tesla ever day. If you are just going down the highway, not an issue. Blind intersections and it is a total cluster truck of an eff'd up design decision. I'd love to have the engineers responsible for this decision eat their own dog food and drive my car for a few days on the roads I have to drive. I'd love to see FSD navigate this situation during rush hour. At least it wouldn't have to fumble with the on screen gear selection BUT the camera placement means it would see even worse than I do.

15 months with a yoke and it is so much better than the wheel. I'm sure in 1908 when Ford switched from a tiller to the steering wheel that there were many complainers that couldn't deal with the new technology.
In what ways is the yoke, a non-round steering wheel, "so much better than the wheel?"

Assuming you are serious, I presume you never:

1. Parallel park?

2. Use turn signals on a roundabout?

3. Make sharp turns?

4. Have to use your horn to alert others to a hazard?

5. Have to quickly shift from Drive to Reverse, or vice-versa?

I ask because I do these things and find the yoke to be an absurd abuse of Human Factors Engineering, as if Elon Musk is playing a grand joke on Model S and X buyers . . . .

I speculate that now that these are finally being delivered to the EU, where they take safe driving far, far more seriously than in the US, the initial burst of sales (after a jaw-dropping 2-YEAR gap) will be met with a massive sales decline, and then we will finally get the ROUND steering wheel and stalks back, or so I sincerely hope.

The stalkless yoke is such an absurd gimmick and it seriously compromises safety. And after nearly 10 months, we STILL don't even have the damn horn back. How is it that Tesla can be both brilliant, and pathetic, at the same time?

Last edited:
In what ways is the yoke, a non-round steering wheel, "so much better than the wheel?"

1. Parallel park?

3. Make sharp turns?

I ask because I do these things and find the yoke to be an absurd abuse of Human Factors Engineering, as if Elon Musk is playing a grand joke on Model S and X buyers . . . .

I speculate that now that these are finally being delivered to the EU, where they take safe driving far, far more seriously than in the US, the initial burst of sales (after a jaw-dropping 2-YEAR gap) will be met with a massive sales decline, and then we will finally get the ROUND steering wheel and stalks back, or so I sincerely hope.

The stalkless yoke is such an absurd gimmick and it seriously compromises safety. And after nearly 10 months, we STILL don't even have the damn horn back. How is it that Tesla can be both brilliant, and pathetic, at the same time?

I presumed he never even had the car out of park and into drive with the non-round instrument of death. The orderly will be around with meds shortly.

1. Parallel park?

3. Make sharp turns?

Actually the Model S and X delivered in Europe do have the Yoke.
Also I do all you mention and have no problems for the past 7 months.
Your arguments are invalid compared to the actual use. Good day sir!

I cannot really tell. My S was delivered almost 18 months ago and I have not been able to move the car out of my garage yet because such complicated maneuvers cannot be safely accomplshed with the yoke. Plus, how do i drive it with one hand at 12 o'clock and the other on the shifter?

Most importantly, the less experience I have with yoke, the more of an expert it makes me on this forum about the yoke.
YES, I love driving with left hand at 12:00 on the wheel! I used to race off-road and and it’s easier to turn rapidly either left on right with a solid grip on the wheel. Right hand on the shifter or turning breke…would love to right a rear steering “throttle that would shift power from one rear wheel to the other. …Anybody see/like that? Imagine the control drifts you could do!!

So... you find it easier to take your hand off the wheel and move a wiper lever on the stalk than just tap the button on the yoke? (Protip: You can use your thumb to tap the wiper icon without removing your hand from the yoke. All you have to do is move your thumb an inch or two.)
Nope, i dont remove my hand…I just tap with my finger. Plus i have more choices, delayed wipe, slow or fast and wash. Sure some things on the wheel and some on the yokes…More controls near your hands without looking works for me.

Even swapping out a wheel for the yoke, I still curse Elon every day for the removal of the stalks. Again, and must be about the 50th time, my nose was almost clipped when pulling out onto a street because I couldn't get the car in reverse quick enough to back up. It is sort of a blind approach onto the road and to see the oncoming traffic, you have to put your nose fairly far into the lane that you need to merge into.

By the time I am far enough to see the cars coming from the left, I am also a hazard to them. In the 3, it is very easy to back up. In the S it is a total cluster and today I was luck enough the guy coming from my left was able to move over. By the time I was able to find reverse and back up, he had already changed lanes and was past me.

The more I drive with the stupid on screen gear shift the more I curse Elon and Tesla ever day. If you are just going down the highway, not an issue. Blind intersections and it is a total cluster truck of an eff'd up design decision. I'd love to have the engineers responsible for this decision eat their own dog food and drive my car for a few days on the roads I have to drive. I'd love to see FSD navigate this situation during rush hour. At least it wouldn't have to fumble with the on screen gear selection BUT the camera placement means it would see even worse than I do.
yep, i agree! On screen shifter would suck. I love my stalks!

1. Parallel park?

3. Make sharp turns?

I think the yoke is the reason I cant get an MX test drive...perhaps people hate it, no??

I'll never go back to a wheel. It's soooo much more efficient.
How, in any way shape or form is it more efficient?

There is literally nothing that the yoke offers or provides that a wheel cannot also do the same or better.

There are many things that a wheel offers that a yoke cannot support.

Less functional and less safe is not more efficient.

There is literally nothing that the yoke offers or provides that a wheel cannot also do the same or better.
Yoke is way cooler than the wheel. You feel like driving a race car or flying an airplane. Although neither the race car nor airplane yoke have anything to do with the Tesla yoke implementation.

While I agree with most of the OP observations the post seems strange coming from a pilot (especially AF pilot) perspective.

...There is literally nothing that the yoke offers or provides that a wheel cannot also do the same or better.....
1. Unobstructed view of IC. Many have no problem with the round steering wheel, but it depends a lot on your body and seating. Some just always have part of the IC obstructed. Not so with Yoke.
2. Improved safety. You can't have your hands on the top half of the wheel where it will likely break your wrists and/or possibly blind you if the airbag goes off. It's a rare situation, and clearly, you can keep your hands in the safety zone on a round wheel, but many do not.
3. Better blinker/horn. I find it easier to use the turn signal and horn on the yoke - but you do have to get used to it being different. Seems some people are unable to make those adjustments and would be better off with stalks. To be fair, I use the horn maybe once a year, but use the mash technique on the side. It's a no-pressure effort, unlike most center horns that need a lot of pressure to activate.
4. Improved airflow. With no steering wheel to interfere with the airflow, the yoke (and Tesla-related venting) has dramatically better control of exactly where the airflow is directed. Side vents required by a round steering wheel are ok, but not as effective.

• Love
Reactions: Pdubs
1. Unobstructed view of IC. Many have no problem with the round steering wheel, but it depends a lot on your body and seating. Some just always have part of the IC obstructed. Not so with Yoke.
Will concede on this point.
2. Improved safety. You can't have your hands on the top half of the wheel where it will likely break your wrists and/or possibly blind you if the airbag goes off. It's a rare situation, and clearly, you can keep your hands in the safety zone on a round wheel, but many do not.
Disagree. Unless you crash straight into someone without trying to avoid the accident. In reality you may be trying to turn to avoid it, or going round a bend at the time of the accident, in which case your point is not valid, in fact it is worse. With a wheel you can hold in a different position when going round a corner, however in the case of the yoke you don't have much choice in how you hold it.
3. Better blinker/horn. I find it easier to use the turn signal and horn on the yoke - but you do have to get used to it being different. Seems some people are unable to make those adjustments and would be better off with stalks. To be fair, I use the horn maybe once a year, but use the mash technique on the side. It's a no-pressure effort, unlike most center horns that need a lot of pressure to activate.
Horn is not better or safer. I hardly ever use my horn. The few times I did need it I pressed the center of the yoke, just like I have done for the last +30 years of driving. Even then, when I realized my mistake, I mashed the right side, only to have it be effective about 50% of the time. The right side mashing is really about accidently hitting the horn button. That muscle memory is hard to retrain unless you one of those folks that use a horn like blinkers. Don't get me started on trying to use blinkers in a turn, like a roundabout. I also find disabling the blinker to be a pain. I inevitably press the opposite blinker to try cancel, which then just enables the opposite blinker, confusing the drivers around me, making it less safe.
4. Improved airflow. With no steering wheel to interfere with the airflow, the yoke (and Tesla-related venting) has dramatically better control of exactly where the airflow is directed. Side vents required by a round steering wheel are ok, but not as effective.
Personally I hate using the screen to control the airflow and the new air vents in the refresh. It distracts from my driving, versus just manually moving the controls with my hands. I don't even need to look. Also, the air vents on my 2018 S are not in anyway obstructed by the wheel.