Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Further discussion and analysis on why the yoke is not good

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You mash the right side with your palm over all the controls. Give it a try when parked to get the hang of it. Some people trip the wiper at the same time as the horn, but I guess it just depends on how you "mash" it!
Note, there is no special feature to detect you mashing the right side. It's just a matter of accidently pressing the horn button when you mash. So it is hit and miss. i.e. you miss the button and something will hit your car.

Note, there is no special feature to detect you mashing the right side. It's just a matter of accidently pressing the horn button when you mash. So it is hit and miss. i.e. you miss the button and something will hit your car.
Right side when parked is not necessarily the right side when driving. I have to either look or mentally track it while driving.

Right side when parked is not necessarily the right side when driving. I have to either look or mentally track it while driving.
True. To be clearer, it's the side of the Yoke with the horn button. Not sure I've ever honked the horn while tuning, but clearly it's possible you might want to do it if you honk a lot. A lot of round steering wheels only have a specific place you can press, and if the steering wheel is turned, that spot is no longer in the same place either.

True. To be clearer, it's the side of the Yoke with the horn button. Not sure I've ever honked the horn while tuning, but clearly it's possible you might want to do it if you honk a lot. A lot of round steering wheels only have a specific place you can press, and if the steering wheel is turned, that spot is no longer in the same place either.
I have vague recollection that Chrysler had a similar design back in the 90’s. They had two spots - one on the left and one on the right - that were supposed to be easy to press with thumbs when the hands are at 9am-3pm (or whatever the prevailing thought was at the time). No forums back then but it quickly went out the fashion in favor of the traditional center spot.
I have not seen any other modern cars with off-center horn spot (aside from putting it on the stalk - but that is also rare). By and large everyone uses the center, which from engineering POV is more difficult because of the airbag.

They had two spots - one on the left and one on the right
Our 2015 Honda Crosstour is setup like this. No center horn activation. The horn is activated by hitting two spots on either side of center. Zoom in to see this on the picture below.
Screenshot_20230102_145235_Chrome.jpg

Got into a hit and run after having my S for about half a year. Have been driving my old gas car with a regular wheel for the past 3 weeks and heres my opinion.

You're less relaxed with your hand placement with the yoke. I'm one of those one handed drivers that turn with one hand. Im much more relaxed with a regular wheel. I can initiate turns regardless of where I place my hand. But on the yoke, theres only the left and right upper corners than can facilitate a safe one handed turn.

On the freeway, I would say the yoke is better because it forces me to be 9 and 3 on the wheel and that has kept me more alert and a better driver lmao, weird reason, I know.

Turn signals are meh. I don't live in an area where you need to actively change signals while turning so one of the common complaints on the forum don't apply to me. However, maybe its cause I suck but there are times when I need to panic signal / react very quickly and I often mis press the turn signal. No issues with that with the stalk.

The horn. Yea, I have never honked anyone on my model s because by the time I look at my yoke and figure where to press, the situation is over =D. And no mashing doesn't always work. Same with the high beams tbh. If I want to use it as a way to communicate, its just hazardous to have to look at the wheel to figure out where to press.

Ultimately I think if you've never driven a regular wheel before, yoke won't give you problems because you've never experienced something better. Its not that the yoke doesn't work, its just that knowing that a better design exists elsewhere really pisses off the human mind.

Looks cool tho, so screw usability =D

didnt elon promise horn activation via airbag for yoke with "just a over the air update" like, over a year ago? and yet..here we are.

Not to mention the Munro teardown found NO HORN SWITCH AT ALL behind the airbag that could be activated via software

If only someone would keep a spreadsheet of all of Elons lies and falsehoods
I thought Munro's teardown was a Model S built before Dec-2021, where no horn switch ever resided according to Elon. The planned horn switch was supposed to be possible in Dec-2021 and onward.

Not to defend Elon, but almost every "lie/falsehood" is not. He's very careful about what he states. For example, the center horn quote about a year ago was:

“All cars made since November also have push center for horn – just waiting on firmware update. If you mash right side of yoke with your palm, horn will trigger”
So it might take 10 years for that firmware update, and Elon has not lied. Misleading - yes! My guess is as silly as it sounds, I bet changing the horn like this might require a complete set of new crash tests since it might affect the airbag. It's also possible that hitting the airbag many times may have turned up that the material is not strong enough to handle horn pounding. Would be nice to know what the actual hangup is. My car was made in November 2021, so doubtful I have the hardware.

Reactions: K.I.T.T.23
I thought Munro's teardown was a Model S built before Dec-2021, where no horn switch ever resided according to Elon. The planned horn switch was supposed to be possible in Dec-2021 and onward.

Not to defend Elon, but almost every "lie/falsehood" is not. He's very careful about what he states. For example, the center horn quote about a year ago was:

“All cars made since November also have push center for horn – just waiting on firmware update. If you mash right side of yoke with your palm, horn will trigger”
So it might take 10 years for that firmware update, and Elon has not lied. Misleading - yes! My guess is as silly as it sounds, I bet changing the horn like this might require a complete set of new crash tests since it might affect the airbag. It's also possible that hitting the airbag many times may have turned up that the material is not strong enough to handle horn pounding. Would be nice to know what the actual hangup is. My car was made in November 2021, so doubtful I have the hardware.
Almost every lie is not?

1 million robotaxis on the road ny 2020…la to nyc with no human intervention by 2019…

I could go on and on. Lol

Wow....even Elon and Franz finally caved and saw the light (or at least need more car sales and wheel sales). So much for steering wheels being the next tiller:

I wonder which one put them over the top? :D

1672975478058.png

1672975742095.png

1672975840529.png
1672975553172.png

1672976083087.png

MSN5.png

MSNX.png

Wuwm.png

Or maybe professional racecar driver Randy Pobst complaining? I know, I know: they just needed to give the vastly superior and safer yoke more time. And they're like the old people who missed the tillers. And are unable to accept change.

Sorry, but I had to use these up now that even Tesla is abandoning the yoke, since I probably won't get another chance. :D

It's just too bad that it looks like they're keeping the capacitance buttons/horn setup...but hey, who knows...maybe that's next?

Wow....even Elon and Franz finally caved and saw the light (or at least need more car sales and wheel sales). So much for steering wheels being the next tiller:

I wonder which one put them over the top? :D

View attachment 892834
View attachment 892844
View attachment 892845View attachment 892839

View attachment 892864
View attachment 892865

View attachment 892866

View attachment 892867

Or maybe professional racecar driver Randy Pobst complaining? I know, I know: they just needed to give the vastly superior and safer yoke more time. And they're like the old people who missed the tillers. And are unable to accept change.

Sorry, but I had to use these up now that even Tesla is abandoning the yoke, since I probably won't get another chance. :D

It's just too bad that it looks like they're keeping the capacitance buttons/horn setup...but hey, who knows...maybe that's next?
Yep it’s about time. Quite telling the wheel is the default option, too. As it should be.

Interestingly, they mentioned the seat belts. I have not seen anyone else talking about it. That was one of my (negative) surprises along with the lack of “dead pedal” when I got the car. Well done minimalism requires almost genius; otherwise, it is simply austerity :)

If they also bring back the radar I could seriously consider staying with Tesla…

Yeah I liked it too for the first couple months and told everybody I knew how great it was. Then I took a couple cross-country road trips and realized how inferior it is to a wheel in terms of driver fatigue and control.
If your impressions prove valid, then statistics over time may demonstrate an increased accident rate in Yoke-equipped vehicles. I am curious what time will tell.

Reactions: Wol747