Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FUSC on used vehicle at car-lot??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

I went through lot of MS cars on Tesla used car inventory and found they were really expensive if I had to go with free super charging. I liked the car on the used-car lot which is 2015 model and has FUSC for life. If I buy the car will FUSC be transferred to me?
I spoke to tesla and they say if its a Private to private sale then it should be transferred and if I am buying from third party dealer then it is not transferred.
when I talk to the dealer he says, car is still under the original owners name and we (dealer) paid for the car and got the paperwork from the original owner but never registered under dealer. I checked the title and it is sill under original owners name. he thinks I should be good since it is still a Private to private sale.
I am confused now whether to buy or not. its lot of money and I am worried that after I buy what if tesla does not transfer FUSC.. Please help!!

You are taking a risk. There is no way to guarantee that it will transfer. Tesla policy is to remove it in that case but the dealer may be correct that there is no trigger for it to be removed.

Unlike full self driving (FSD), there is no way to put it back nor obvious way to demonstrate loss amount against the dealer if they are wrong.

Reactions: AMPd
What it's worth in terms of dollars to the owner is one thing but what it's worth to the next buyer when said owner goes to sell it is another entirely. I'm finding that the number of cars out there with legitimate FUSC that transfers is dwindling (kudos Tesla, your plan of questionable morality worked /sarcasm) and people looking for it seem to have an inordinate amount of value assigned to it. Much in the same reason Tesla used it to sell lots of cars because perceived value is much higher than what it actually is, buyers are looking for it because they assign lots of value to it. You may pay a little more now for a car with it but you will likely recover all of that in resale and the benefit during ownership is free SC even though may not use it a lot.

...Much in the same reason Tesla used it to sell lots of cars because perceived value is much higher than what it actually is, buyers are looking for it because they assign lots of value to it...
When looking at ICE fuel costs vs pay-electric costs vs FUSC use, fair point.

But the value of that first year (pre-charge throttling), going on a 1500 mi holiday trip, and returning to tell coworkers, "we spent $0 on fuel", and seeing the subsequent annoyance on their faces? Priceless.

When looking at ICE fuel costs vs pay-electric costs vs FUSC use, fair point.

But the value of that first year (pre-charge throttling), going on a 1500 mi holiday trip, and returning to tell coworkers, "we spent $0 on fuel", and seeing the subsequent annoyance on their faces? Priceless.
We did the same thing on a couple of 5k road trips and I can personally attest to two people I know buying a Tesla as a direct result of that conversation. If you apply the math to it it's not as much of a savings as most think it is but if the average consumer applied math to their decisions most wouldn't own ICE cars anymore either. That's not the average consumer.

Until they ask - How many times did you have to stop, and what was you total idle time? With that said, because I can work from my phone and/or seem to always need something from Target, our idle times are really quite low considering we're always doing something while it's on the supercharger.

That will transfer. The FUSC policy that was with those cards originally sold back then always transfers unless the car has since passed through Tesla.
It will transfer even if it goes to a third party dealer, as long as it wasn't traded in to Tesla and sold at auction to that dealer.

There is a lot of confusion about this, and I wish Tesla would just create a support article to clarify all these scenarios.

I agree with BPeter (although we might both be wrong!)
My understanding is that it will transfer to you unless the car is passed back to Tesla for resale, in which case when it's in their hands they can obviously sell it at whatever price they can get and with or without free supercharging. I haven't heard of it but perhaps they might include free supercharging with a resale that didn't include it new just to get it out the door.
But unless you do loads of road trips it's not worth much, honestly except in your case when you sell it on.

This question has been asked and answered so many times. Please see:

Until they ask - How many times did you have to stop, and what was you total idle time? With that said, because I can work from my phone and/or seem to always need something from Target, our idle times are really quite low considering we're always doing something while it's on the supercharger.
We've since moved and can't recreate the roundtrip, but I do wonder how much extra time we would need now with throttled charging.

Also, a couple of the coworkers were the type of "we leave at 7 pm after dinner, family sleeps in the car while I drive overnight and I sleep after we arrive at 8 am", so even 30 min of idle time would be a no-go in their minds haha.

We've since moved and can't recreate the roundtrip, but I do wonder how much extra time we would need now with throttled charging.

Also, a couple of the coworkers were the type of "we leave at 7 pm after dinner, family sleeps in the car while I drive overnight and I sleep after we arrive at 8 am", so even 30 min of idle time would be a no-go in their minds haha.

That's how I scored #70; I traded my RX350 for it. They were planning to use the car to drive to LA, and with two 45min stops and two kids, it got to be too much. They did the trip a few times, but the added 1.5hrs of idle time was taxing on them, so we swapped. He would rather pump and go than sit and stare. Anyways, they have a X as well.